Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Just found out my Type UK is an import....where do I stand?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2005, 12:52 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Just found out my Type UK is an import....where do I stand?

This is a fairly long one but I've tried to shorten it!

Just after some advice off someone in the know about legal matters if possible.

To cut a long story short, a Subaru dealer who's servicing my car today has done all the checks on my cars reg number and chassis number and its turned out its an import. The car was bought as a Type UK STI MY02 and is badged as a Type UK too. Even my leasing agreement says Type UK on it. Now, I obviously paid for a Type UK car (at Type UK car prices) and assumed it would have Subaru UK 3 year warranty. So after speaking to the Subaru dealer this morning I have spoken to the garage who originally supplied the car before the leasing company bought it and they have confirmed it is an import.

I then spoke to the leasing company who have confirmed they don't supply imported vehicles without UK warranties and obviously deny any knowledge that the car is an import and are looking into it 9 and are ringing me back).

The original supplier also confirmed that it wouldn't have had the Type UK badges on it and claim they've been added at a later date. So now I'm stuck with a car with no warranty, I'm probably paying too much for it on finance and its also worth even less than I thought it was to sell and I also assume my insurance has been void as its insured as a Type UK not import?? Can anyone shed any light on what I should be doing regarding the leasing company. I would never have bought the car if I knew it was an import without a UK warranty. Is the agreement void? Can I return the vehicle? Should I threaten any leagal action as I've been overpaying and uninsured?

Any thoughts off anyone? Thanks in advance.

Simon
Old 11 April 2005, 01:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Simon; Id suggest speaking to a solicitor rather than attempting to seperate the wheat from the chaff in the coming replies.

Most people receive free legal advice with their house insurance; this might be the easiest first step, and free too.

Simon
Old 11 April 2005, 01:20 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Import from where? If its a European parallel import then you should have no problems once you've registered the warranty with SUK.

<disclaimer> I don't know whether MY02 STi Type UK could be parallel imported</disclaimer>
Old 11 April 2005, 01:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'd say you should end up getting this sorted out fairly quickly...

For starters, the burden is with the finance company to sort it out as you've got the protection of the consumer credit act on your side - assuming it's not a business lease.

My take is that the finance company might have some questions to answer here, given that the supplying garage confirmed that its an import... You've been paying for a UK supplied type UK, and it's not what they've provided...

Get onto the citizen's advice bureau, and see what they say.
Old 11 April 2005, 01:35 PM
jb2000
Scooby Regular

right nightmare as imports have higher bhp than uk spec car

so get them to fix the warranty and enjoy the car
Old 11 April 2005, 01:47 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

Insurance wont make any difference. It was probably bought from a car supermarket as an EU spec and come badged as type uk.
Chances are it is exactly the same as a uk car too. Some of the newer ones dont come with dccd though.
At the end of the day, I would say that you have to live with it. I dont think there is much mileage in getting a solicitor involved, perhaps only for a reduction in the original price?
The onus is on you really, you parted with your cash, look on the first pdi inspection on the service history and I bet it is stamped from Malta.
Old 11 April 2005, 02:13 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Isn't the car still the propery of the leasing company until the final payment..? If so isn't it is their problem..?

Trending Topics

Old 11 April 2005, 02:42 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all your thoughts/opinion/advice etc! I'm awaiting the leasing companies response. The car is their property until final payment anyway, but my main gripe is the fact that I paid a 'UK' car price and put the car in for warranty work today and now its turned out to be an import I have to pay for the work instead of being covered. Also I assume my resale value has just dropped even more as its an import...am I right?

I was gonna make the balloon payment to keep car but don't think I'll bother now unless they offer me some sort of compensation or lower final payment. I'll let you know what happens for anyone interested.
Old 11 April 2005, 02:47 PM
patkin
Scooby Regular

If its a EU car its exactly the same as a UK car anyway, it only came via somewhere else before reaching UK shores, this is a common practise apparently in times of model shortage. After all only a Cat1 alarm and wheel nuts and UK badges make it a type UK. I read a similar story in what car last month legal advice was if it was the same stuff on the car as a UK model no case to answer.

PS Same article said negligable differnce in resale value, perhaps 500 quid
Old 11 April 2005, 04:11 PM
thanuk
Scooby Newbie

My wife had exactly this problem. She bought an ex-demo MX-5 from a Mazda main dealer. When it went to another dealer for service they asked if she knew it was an import.

It was fairly easy to solve in her case. There was no leasing company involved so she wrote to the dealer, who initially refused to help, saying she'd write to Mazda UK if they didn't sort it out. They were obviously worried about their franchise because they took it back and swapped it for a brand new one even though she'd done several thousand miles in it and had an accident.

Good luck with getting it sorted out.
Old 11 April 2005, 04:18 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

imho i would say the agreement is void,if it says type uk on there paper work and its an import then it should be void just take it back to them give them the keys and say bye bye then let them deal with it save you some money
Old 11 April 2005, 04:20 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Send Honest John an email he will reply in a couple of days, hes a motoring jurnolist for used car buyer. He might be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/home/index.htm
Old 11 April 2005, 04:30 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Assume you believe that the car has some warranty left, i.e. originally registered after March 02? The time before warranty expires (the only difference between UK sourced and parallel import) will make negligible difference to resale value IMO.
Old 11 April 2005, 05:11 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two dumb questions:

1) Who told you it's an import? Was it an insurance company?

2) Who said that you no longer had warranty cover?

I ask because I'm driving an 02 STI Type UK (says so on the intercooler). The garage says UK, Subaru say UK and have issued warranty cover (renewed by the main dealer before it was sold to me) but my insurers (RLV) say it's an import. I've also heard said that all STI Prodrives (style, not PPP) come up on insurance DBs as imported - perhaps all STIs.

M
Old 12 April 2005, 10:24 AM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Car was registered in December 2002 so still should have a few months warranty. The Subaru dealer first told me the car was probably imported and then after speaking to the original suppliers of the car, David Hendry, they have confirmed it was an import but they don't add Type UK badges to them. The resale value may be negligable as to whether its imported or not, but thats not the point. The fact is I asked for a UK car, I am paying for a UK car and expected a 3 year UK warranty along with a UK car resale value when I come to get rid of it. I'm still awaiting the finance companies response. I will let you all know the outcome.
Old 12 April 2005, 11:10 AM
Midget
Scooby Regular

The simple answer is if your VIN is 17 digits long ie ( JF1GDBKH32G012345 )
then it is most likely an EU spec vehicle to which there is no difference in warranty etc !
But if the VIN is a short one ie ( GDB012345 ) then it is a Jap import designed for the Japanese domestic market and there is most definitly a big big difference ! Some Australian vehicles can also have 17 digit vins but there is no warranty cross over on these vehicles Hope this helps !!!
PM me if you need a VIN breakdown !
Old 12 April 2005, 12:54 PM
patkin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midget
The simple answer is if your VIN is 17 digits long ie ( JF1GDBKH32G012345 )
then it is most likely an EU spec vehicle to which there is no difference in warranty etc !
But if the VIN is a short one ie ( GDB012345 ) then it is a Jap import designed for the Japanese domestic market and there is most definitly a big big difference ! Some Australian vehicles can also have 17 digit vins but there is no warranty cross over on these vehicles Hope this helps !!!
PM me if you need a VIN breakdown !
Hey who stole my VIN ...................... lol (Only kidding)
Old 12 April 2005, 03:05 PM
Midget
Scooby Regular

Without a description of the car i dont really think the VIN would be any use
to anybody ! Any dealer can identify a car from its VIN .
Old 12 April 2005, 04:43 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

if its from David Hendry its 99% import
Old 12 April 2005, 04:45 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silvafox
Car was registered in December 2002 so still should have a few months warranty. The Subaru dealer first told me the car was probably imported and then after speaking to the original suppliers of the car, David Hendry, they have confirmed it was an import but they don't add Type UK badges to them. The resale value may be negligable as to whether its imported or not, but thats not the point. The fact is I asked for a UK car, I am paying for a UK car and expected a 3 year UK warranty along with a UK car resale value when I come to get rid of it. I'm still awaiting the finance companies response. I will let you all know the outcome.

ask them if they add uk lights to the back of a 22B import, as they imported it from new in 98.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:00 AM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up UPDATE

Just in case anyone was wondering what the outcome of this thread is....

Its taken me a month of countless phone calls and emails with our car brokers and the finance house and finally we have a decision. They are going to swap the car for another! This was what we wanted all along and its taken some effort to get it sorted. Only downside though is that the replacement might not be a scooby..... They do have one scooby in stock which is identical age/spec to mine and is silver instead of blue (official Type UK not import with Type UK badges!!), so may go for that. I'll let you know what car I end up with. It means that my high level WR blue spoiler and TSL Group N might be up for sale too as the car will have to be taken back with the original low level spoiler and original STI backbox.

So if anyone has this same problem then pressure them into giving you a satisfactory outcome...don't give up.
Old 13 May 2005, 01:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id be looking for the cost of re-fitting and finishing too!
Old 13 May 2005, 01:49 PM
Soobmeister
Scooby Regular

Good result Simon, you know where i am if you need it checking over or any advice etc.
Old 13 May 2005, 02:01 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Id be looking for the cost of re-fitting and finishing too!
I am considering it but its taken so long to even get this far...dunno whether I can be arsed! I've enquired about the scooby they've got so am just waiting to see if it already has a high level wing. If it has then I'm OK and will sell mine.
Old 13 May 2005, 02:05 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Soobmeister
Good result Simon, you know where i am if you need it checking over or any advice etc.
Will do mate. If I get the Scoob it'll be maintained by yourselves for definate. I might get you to run a check on the chassis number again to check its a legit Type UK!! Do you have any of the anthracite STI alloys that came off the WR1's left for sale? Only thing is, I'm not quite sure about on the new one is gold wheels on a silver car (no offence to anyone!) so would be looking to change them I think.
Old 20 May 2005, 02:12 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Unhappy LAST UPDATE

Well looks like scooby ownership is over for while for me..... bit gutted really as its been a superb car and is by far the best car I've had so far in terms of costs and performance. I'm moving to the dark side in the shape of a 330ci..... always wanted one and am looking forward to getting it to be honest. It'll be very different to the Scooby but a good car too I hope!

So check out the For Sale section as I have some bits for sale now!

BTW Scoobynet has been by far the best forum I've been on car wise....keep up the good work to all involved!

Cheers

Simon
Old 20 May 2005, 08:18 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear your ownership is over for a while.

Here is a useful link for anyone in a similar predicament: http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0003-1011.txt