ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advice on buying STI

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2005, 06:24 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying STI

I'm interested in a new MY05 STI, but not so sure of the benefits of a JDM model.

Euro imports seem to go for £21k OTR, JDM from David Hendry for £28k. What will I get for the extra £7k, is it worth it and would you lose a lot on depreciation with the JDM compared to the Euro import?

Also, can the STI be driven as a normal car when the wife and baby are in it or is it too noisy and the suspension too hard?
Old 11 April 2005, 07:41 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The differences between the Euro/Uk and JDM models...... I am sure Andy one of our moderators will come along to give you a concise answer to that one (I am sure he has it as a shortcut on his desktop to a notepad file!!! ).

As regards to ride quality......

Many people do use the STi's for every day use, but others have opted for the WRX because of this specific issue. Tbh I would take both for a test drive and make your own mind up, as it is really down to personal preference and what you actually want the car for, or what you actually want out of it.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 11 April 2005, 07:47 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you take your wife on the test drive - the ride doesn't seem that bad from the driver's point of view (especially if you're er, pushing on, and so have your mind on other things) but your passengers might have a different view. Most people I've driven in mine only take about five minutes to say: "This ride's a bit bumpy, isn't it?" or something similar.

M
Old 11 April 2005, 07:50 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I'm interested in a new MY05 STI, but not so sure of the benefits of a JDM model.

Euro imports seem to go for £21k OTR, JDM from David Hendry for £28k. What will I get for the extra £7k, is it worth it and would you lose a lot on depreciation with the JDM compared to the Euro import?

Also, can the STI be driven as a normal car when the wife and baby are in it or is it too noisy and the suspension too hard?

Not sure they are worth £28k. I bought a 03 sti for 19K with ppp and PF7 18 alloys on it. I'd stay away from a new one, try a used 6month old jobby
Old 11 April 2005, 08:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id look here as i think David Hendry overprice their cars by a BIG margin...

www.litimports.co.uk

if you want second hand JDM then try www.just-sports.org as they have a couple in stock

Tony
Old 11 April 2005, 09:05 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

(I am sure he has it as a shortcut on his desktop to a notepad file!!! ).
Lol I'm nowhere NEAR that organised! (At least I didn't buy a UK car first and then swap it a month later though, Shaun!)

That said, I did post something along these very lines the other day - basically for the extra, you're getting:

- (essential): cat 1 alarm/immobiliser and tracker, which are unlikely to be included on a Euro import at £21k

- DCCD-A, which is optional in both Europe and Japan. Although people very rarely bring over JDM cars without it, leaving it out saves about £1k which is a big deal if you're trying to sell a new STI as cheaply as possible. It should definitely be included in a JDM car at £28k, and probably won't be on a Euro car at 21.

- the twin-scroll '05 JDM-spec engine, which is much further developed than the Euro-spec engine (which started out down on power thanks to emissions regs, and has received little or no development since). To achieve similar power with the Euro engine you'll need PPP (or equivalent - at least a full exhaust and remap), and you still won't have the twin scroll turbo's low down response. Add similar mods to a JDM car and you'll be looking at 320bhp or so. (I really must stop doing this, I'm talking myself into yet another bill this way!)

- You also get wider tyres, HID lights, rear wash/wipe, I/C water spray, electric folding mirrors, quick steering rack and illuminated red dials.

The ride on the JDM car is undeniably very stiff though; on a circuit it would be fine but it's not well suited to typical British roads IMHO. I had Eibachs fitted to mine from new, but soon had a complete adjustable suspension kit fitted instead. Make sure you test drive a prospective purchase properly before parting with any cash.
Old 12 April 2005, 09:17 AM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

I use my 05 STi Type UK as a truly everyday car & my kids have never complained, in fact, they love it!
Yes, it can b noisy & the ride is pretty hard but if u really want the STi, take the wife 4 a test drive in an Evo as well...when she's had her brains shaken into mush & her fillings dislodged, u'll probably find she suddenly thinks the STi is actually pretty comfy...!!!

Trending Topics

Old 12 April 2005, 11:12 AM
thanuk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
The trouble with the STi ride that it continously jiggles. It doesn't crash or thump (like the Legacy spec B does) and the damping is superb but it never really settles down. Personally I thought it unpleasant to passenger in but truly stunning to drive.