Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

I was gutted - anyone travelled the M6 south bound over the last week??

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2000, 06:07 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hi there,
Was travelling down from Dundee to Oxford taking it easy like i normally do around 75- 80mph , and get just outside carlisle (north side) .
See the signs that the 2 lanes on the right hand side are about to close.. so i go into the left and drop down to 70. Look to my left and notice a Traffic cop car with there gun pointing at me, looked at my speedo i'm doing 70, i'm fine!
Get about quarter of a mile up the road and notice a 40mph sign on one of the lanes that has been closed off. -(the sign was very dirty, not well illuminated)- and I just think to myself oh no i don't believe this.I did not see a sign and am pretty sure there was not one! On that set of roadworks there is a BP garage so i go into there expecting the cop car to be after me.
Get out.. fill up with petrol , go into the shop and 2 lorry drivers are in there having a chat and over hear them talking about the cop car. They ask me if it is still there and i say yeah, but they tell me it is monitoring the traffic coming from the other direction- which i do not believe!
I am 99% positive that there was no sign at the start of the roadworks indicating a 40mph zone.. no warning either , and the police sitting there with their gun out! There were also no warnings of a 40mph zone on the following 2 sets of roadworks, and as far as i was aware it was 70mph.
What i need to know by anyone travelling on the M6 this week is, can you tell me if there was a 40mph sign at the start of the roadworks. My father and a couple of his business collegues travelled down on Tuesday and he has told me the same thing happened with him except no police car. It is the first set of Roadworks around the gretna green area just before Carlisle. The set with the BP petrol station.
I know no one condones speeding but this was not fair and i have been told not to worry about it. It would just help for peace of mind sake. If it was a 40mph, there was no sign at the beginning of the roadworks, then i will contest it fully.
Ian

[This message has been edited by Hos (edited 08 September 2000).]
Old 08 September 2000, 08:01 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd contest it anyway. If the sign was not properly visible (or put up later, if at all) then you were not given proper warning that the speed limit was different to the normal one on that route.

The fact that you travel that route regularly and that you didn't see anything suggests that something was amiss.

Good luck.