ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

HELP. I'm such a muppet

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2005, 05:07 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP. I'm such a muppet

Was driving enthusiastically earlier today and managed to get the wrong gear. I went from 4th to 3rd. The revs went to 8500rpm for a second until i redipped the clutch.
Its an MY03 STI and it seems fine. Its not making any noises and is running ok. Should i be worried? The limiter is normally 7.5k so would another 1k over damage it?

The other thing is that the ecu would surely record an overrev condition in its memory. Can i reset the ecu to get rid of this (could affect warrenty) if so how as i've heard the newage ones are hard to do?
Old 28 April 2005, 07:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh Dear, Oh Dear ...... contact 'Tiny Tim' of Tiny Tim Motors, he will need to take it in and carry out an immediate **** Oil Change.

If you are lucky only your MAF Sensor will have gone and the Big Ends will need replacing (as a precaution).

The Con-Rod on number 5 cylinder will have worked loose and be in the sump, still giving the appearance of a working engine but its not really.

Please, to avoid any further damage, remove the windscreen, windows and doors. And drive on a light throttle for at least the next 50,000miles until 'Tiny Tim' can fix it for £2000 + VAT

Of course you've not damaged it ..... contrary to those on here who will preach otherwise, these engines are not made of chocolate! They only turn to molten metal when they are modded and operate outside of the Subaru designed limits.

Enjoy ......

Pete
Old 28 April 2005, 07:34 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Oh Dear, Oh Dear ...... contact 'Tiny Tim' of Tiny Tim Motors, he will need to take it in and carry out an immediate **** Oil Change.

If you are lucky only your MAF Sensor will have gone and the Big Ends will need replacing (as a precaution).

The Con-Rod on number 5 cylinder will have worked loose and be in the sump, still giving the appearance of a working engine but its not really.

Please, to avoid any further damage, remove the windscreen, windows and doors. And drive on a light throttle for at least the next 50,000miles until 'Tiny Tim' can fix it for £2000 + VAT

Of course you've not damaged it ..... contrary to those on here who will preach otherwise, these engines are not made of chocolate! They only turn to molten metal when they are modded and operate outside of the Subaru designed limits.

Enjoy ......

Pete
Old 28 April 2005, 07:35 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Pete's right, Aaron - nothing to worry about from briefly blipping your engine by 1000rpm. Don't forget it was only overspeeded, it wasn't under high power, too. Engines let go due to either being totally overspeeded (which this isn't a instance of), or from being consistently overstressed (which is what happens with the 350+bhp mod-and-remap jobs).

Nothing needs resetting, just get on with enjoying your car. Oh, and be a bit more careful in future!
Old 28 April 2005, 07:36 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by aaronhowe
Was driving enthusiastically earlier today and managed to get the wrong gear. I went from 4th to 3rd. The revs went to 8500rpm for a second until i redipped the clutch.
Its an MY03 STI and it seems fine. Its not making any noises and is running ok. Should i be worried? The limiter is normally 7.5k so would another 1k over damage it?

The other thing is that the ecu would surely record an overrev condition in its memory. Can i reset the ecu to get rid of this (could affect warrenty) if so how as i've heard the newage ones are hard to do?
whatever the above post is all about,i do not know(pslewis)
Anyhow,if you have a concern mate(obviously you do)then i would surgest speaking to an "expert". i,e scoobyclinic

these guy's are alway's willing to offer advice

mark
Old 28 April 2005, 08:03 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys. Puts my mind at rest

I'm a newbie with subarus and I have read so many horror stories on these cars that it makes me worry a bit.

P.s and will def be more careful after that
Old 28 April 2005, 09:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this BBS with a pinch of salt .... you get all kinds of weirdos with their own advice and beliefs (me included!)

Just weed out what you want and take from it what you can - some on here really know their stuff, others will feed you utter crap!

If you believe it all you would NEVER drive your car, EVER!!

Pete
Old 28 April 2005, 10:44 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Nearly as funny as when I put my old WRX from 4th to 1st rather than 3rd for an emergency overtaking manoevre. Had more warning lights than Blackpool seafront coming up on the dash. No damage done whatsoever but adrenelin is definitely brown.
Old 29 April 2005, 09:21 AM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EBRWRX
Nearly as funny as when I put my old WRX from 4th to 1st rather than 3rd for an emergency overtaking manoevre. Had more warning lights than Blackpool seafront coming up on the dash. No damage done whatsoever but adrenelin is definitely brown.
Holy crap it must a screamed when you did that. Makes me feel better about my little mistake now ;p