B4 RSK worth buying

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2005, 09:48 PM
JayList
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B4 RSK worth buying?

Hi.

I am looking to buy a fast saloon (upsizing from my RX-8 due to 2 kids).

Got down to the last few, one of which is the B4 RSK.

I think the normal Impreza is a bit small for my needs, and looks too cheap and tacky inside (although an otherwise great car).

Hence I'm looking at a Legacy B4 RSK.I have found one that appears to be in good nick.

2 questions.

1. Do you get used to the super light steering and Valley of Death?

2. I was revving this car and when flooring the accelerator went to near the redline before shifting. Is this normal or clutch slipping?

Cheers

Jay

Last edited by JayList; 28 April 2005 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added a question mark
Old 28 April 2005, 10:20 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

1, Yes you do on both counts
2, They do rev a lot more freely than Imprezas, but it does sound quite suspect, and it is slightly harder to do a clutch due to the twin downpipes
Craig http://www.legacy.manxforums.com
Old 29 April 2005, 07:26 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

As above - VoD and steering (never found it a prob meself, but each to his own) are things you defo get used to IMHO. But, sorry, being a bit thick I gotta admit not understanding #2.

Any more info available, both on the car, and #2 (if you want of course) ? Sorry to answer with a question...

Cheers
Old 29 April 2005, 09:49 AM
JayList
Scooby Newbie

Talking revs

Originally Posted by AJbaseBloke
As above - VoD and steering (never found it a prob meself, but each to his own) are things you defo get used to IMHO. But, sorry, being a bit thick I gotta admit not understanding #2.

Any more info available, both on the car, and #2 (if you want of course) ? Sorry to answer with a question...

Cheers
When I floored it form 40 mph, the rev counter went very high, near the redline, before lowering down, indicating either the auto box was holding the gearing for a while, or that the clutch is wearing out and needs replacing.

Unfortnatley I was testing the car in london so I couldn't do a thorough test of this.

I though the steering was incredibly light, a bit lifeless, but perhaps you get used to it, and I've read it works better at speed.

Are the people who've bought one happy with it??

Last edited by JayList; 29 April 2005 at 09:50 AM. Reason: more questions
Old 29 April 2005, 10:00 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JayList
When I floored it form 40 mph, the rev counter went very high, near the redline, before lowering down, indicating either the auto box was holding the gearing for a while, or that the clutch is wearing out and needs replacing.

Unfortnatley I was testing the car in london so I couldn't do a thorough test of this.

I though the steering was incredibly light, a bit lifeless, but perhaps you get used to it, and I've read it works better at speed.

Are the people who've bought one happy with it??
???, if its an auto box then its not got a clutch ?

Sounds like kickdown is holding revs up to maximum before changing up, which is normal on the autos I have driven.

Unless the RSK box is different, you have a fluid torque converter between the box and the engine. When you floor the accelerator, most autos kickdown a gear then hold it upto maximum revs.

Or am I missing something here

As to light steering, I had a 200SX which was slated for having overlight steering, but once you get used to it, it was fine.

Last edited by Gary C; 29 April 2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 29 April 2005, 10:43 AM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

The Legacies have a 2 level steering assistance - light at low speeds and not quite so light at higher speeds. You'd get used to it. The GTBs (wagons) are more practcal and more stealthy though.
Old 29 April 2005, 03:41 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

have a nose for one of these -

http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/news...doc=sub9910221

limited edition b4 rsk blitzen - jap import only, exterior design by porsche.

nice.