ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STI Type R v Seat Cupra R

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2005, 09:27 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Type R v Seat Cupra R

I'm generally not down with racing on the public highway; but had a bit of a brief giggle leaving work yesterday lunchtime.

Pulling out of the main gate, there are 2 lanes leading onto a dual carriageway (almost empty of traffic). I was in the RHS lane as I was turning right at the next set of lights, in the LHS lane was a guy from work (I don't know him) in a Seat Cupra R with his girlfriend in the passenger seat. Lights go green, I pull away normally (i.e. not a rally start but not exactly hanging about). Suddenly matey in the Seat decides he's going to impress his girlfriend by booting it and undertaking.

How much power does a Seat Cupra R have? I'm guessing a fair bit less than a Tek3'd Type R at the rate he was disappearing in my mirrors.

Why do people try it on with cars they have absolutely no hope of beating? It wasn't as if I was holding him up either, as he gave up and slowed down strait away.

I'd just like to clarify that no speed limits were broken, and the road was empty so no children/cats were put at risk at any time.
Old 29 April 2005, 09:32 AM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have said it before and i will say it again, racing is very childish - but it's bloody good fun!!! Nothing beats the satisfaction of knowing you have just blasted them to humiliation city!!
Old 29 April 2005, 09:36 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Normally I wouldn't do it, and if i'd been in the LHS lane with him in the RHS I'd have let him go without batting an eyelid.

It was the undertaking manouvre that made me click, and it wasn't as if I was holding him up as I was pulling away from him the moment the lights went green.
Old 29 April 2005, 10:00 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=Iwan]

Why do people try it on with cars they have absolutely no hope of beating? [QUOTE]

Sometimes its worth it just to see by how much you get a shoeing so you know how much work you got to do to the car! I've made an EVO6 bite before and a P1 and I've got a Tek'd UK turbo. Got a pasting but at least its a good yard stick to work to.
Old 29 April 2005, 01:02 PM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
Normally I wouldn't do it, and if i'd been in the LHS lane with him in the RHS I'd have let him go without batting an eyelid.

It was the undertaking manouvre that made me click, and it wasn't as if I was holding him up as I was pulling away from him the moment the lights went green.
I wasnt really telling you off, i was agreeing with you. It really pees me off when people try to cut infront of you, why? To save one car space! Madness. Nearly had my car written off by a BMW who cut in too quickly, good job scoobys have good brakes!!!
Old 29 April 2005, 02:00 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Depends if its chipped, chipped they are complete beasts. Std I think you would of handed his *** to him on a silver platter.

Cheers

Dan
Old 29 April 2005, 02:04 PM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

Seat Cupra R can be chiped to 280 bhp very quick but not sti typr r quick

Trending Topics

Old 29 April 2005, 02:27 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I could not of put it better myself.

Originally Posted by Mrs WRX
racing is very childish - but it's bloody good fun!!!
Old 29 April 2005, 03:10 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

I met some tit in a VW Bora this morning on my way to work. He was tailgaiting me through a wee vilage and then out of the vilage he decides to over take. This is a B road aproaching a corner. Cant really see the point to be honest, I had to stand on the brakes to let him past to avoid a possible accident.
Old 29 April 2005, 03:31 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

You should have stood on the loud pedal, and left him on the wrong side of the road
Old 29 April 2005, 06:10 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rhybeck
Seat Cupra R can be chiped to 280 bhp very quick but not sti typr r quick
Rolling off a roundabout (Std STI) was no difference through 2nd and 3rd something like 20mph to 80mph (superior observation put me in the right lane as we entered the roundabout)
Old 01 May 2005, 09:29 AM
Keef69
Scooby Regular

The reason they try it on, is all of them have "beaten an Impreza" and have told their mates, their girlfriend etc. What most don't realise is it may have been a 215 bhp UK turbo, a sport or even an standard 1800 Impreza. I for one, didn't know there were so many variables, till I started looking into buying one.

Great fun though, when the 911,'s, M3's, etc, etc try it on and realise they may just have mis-judged this Impreza! Sti's rock!!!
Old 01 May 2005, 10:14 AM
RR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan

Why do people try it on with cars they have absolutely no hope of beating? It wasn't as if I was holding him up either, as he gave up and slowed down strait away.
Theres a lot of sleepers out there. 280bhp 1.8T clio's. 440bhp Skoda octavia's. 330-360bhp Ibiza cupra's. 2.0L turbo Nova's. I bet theres a fair few stnd looking Uk classic scoobs with big power.
Old 01 May 2005, 10:23 AM
RR
Scooby Regular

Theres also a few Leon cupra-r's with remaps and 50bhp shots of nos.
Old 01 May 2005, 10:38 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sleepers rock

Still need a run in one of these IHI Ibizas and a fast Clio
Old 01 May 2005, 10:43 AM
RR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Sleepers rock

Still need a run in one of these IHI Ibizas and a fast Clio
I wish you had a run in with a ihi'd ibiza as well John.LOL.
Old 01 May 2005, 10:47 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Yet to see yours John!

Sorted out the wee "things" you were talking about before?
Old 01 May 2005, 11:07 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

10% more weight but approx 1/3 more power and torque over a much wider rev band, and with total traction with pretty good manners, I can't see it being a contest to be honest, think I would still be OK using only 1 bar, but it would be fun to see what all the hype is about. Trouble is there are only a few about aren't there?

You're welcome to have a ride Dave, let me know when you're through this way again, all running sweetly

Last edited by john banks; 01 May 2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01 May 2005, 11:16 AM
RR
Scooby Regular

There is one in scotland. Ibiza 1119kgs. Does your scoob only weigh 1230kgs. I would have thought your transmission losses might count for a little as well 2wd vs 4wd.
Old 01 May 2005, 11:34 AM
Luke-Avfc
Scooby Regular

Wink

I was tailgated by a cupra type r on the a38m in brum (the road that takes you out of brum toward the m6 at spaggetti jct) in my decatted remapped my93 wrx i new i could beat him but the road was to busy, he sat on my bumper until we hit the m6 south slip rd then the rd opened out and i left the **** trailing, when i slowed down an let him pass he just gave me loads of abuse, teach the ***** not mess with scoobys and go an race civic type r's instead.
Old 01 May 2005, 11:43 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

1235 kg kerb weight according to Subaru, but I also have a/c and 6MT. I think the extra weight from the turbo and intercooler is offset by the lighter manifold and exhaust, wheels are lighter than standard as well. The difference in transmission losses on a Dastek dyno between 2WD and AWD is about 3% of my total power - it isn't noticed, but the difference in traction most certainly is. Since I am deliberately being very careful with overboost in the first three gears to help traction (yes it has enough torque to make that an issue with AWD), I think I'll take the slight "loss", it is far more than made up for by putting it all on the ground IMHO. If you offered me another 50lbft or more traction I would take the traction at this level. 60-100 in the 3s backs this up I think.
Old 01 May 2005, 11:55 AM
patkin
Scooby Regular

All the big power sleepers are fine until they try to get the power down through the front wheels. Cupra R 225 bhp as standard, Octavia VRS 180 as standard but regularly chipped to 230 bhp or so for 450 quid. I know it was my last car lol
Old 01 May 2005, 12:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Our standard Octavia vRS has similar traction issues at a given road speed to our Impreza with about 300 BHP more. In other words it is more in favour of the Impreza than you would expect. I think this is because the Scooby (at least the way mine is setup) loses traction in a more balanced fashion front-rear, front still goes first though, I find it safer that way for a road car. I never thought I would mention Scooby and "balance" in this sense, but compared to the vRS that is my opinion.
Old 01 May 2005, 01:30 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by patkin
All the big power sleepers are fine until they try to get the power down through the front wheels.
unless its a proper 4wd sleeper i.e fensports corolla.
Old 01 May 2005, 03:23 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

10% more weight but approx 1/3 more power and torque over a much wider rev band, and with total traction with pretty good manners, I can't see it being a contest to be honest, think I would still be OK using only 1 bar, but it would be fun to see what all the hype is about. Trouble is there are only a few about aren't there?

You're welcome to have a ride Dave, let me know when you're through this way again, all running sweetly
Sounds good John.

When Alan say's it felt awesomly quick, you've gotta sit up and take notice!
Old 01 May 2005, 03:45 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutz
go an race civic type r's instead.
Thats what i say to scoobs. My point is not a p1ssing contest but when a civic type-r see's a vts it wont play and the driver probably says go mess with a 106gti. When i see a scoob i generally just laugh and think go mess with a type-r. But at some point i should come across something superior. Forget about makes and models but consider the fact my car runs a vf34 at 1.5bar. Its going to require (in a scoob) at least the same plus something to counter act both the weight diff and diff in trans loss and maybe aerodynamics.I aint scooby bashing the point i am trying to make (badly) is unless you try you never know and if you never know you would never want more and that would mean we all drive around in 1.0L Micras. Maybe the LCR driver that got stuffed will go home and look on the internet and end up buying a remap. I guess its what drives us to do what we do. Spend money and do lots of overtime.

Added to say John. A mechanic at Jabba has a golf mk2 with a 1.8T IhI vf34 he did a 11.9sec qtr with a terminal in the 120-130mph bracket. This was done at Santa pod in the last week or two. On SCN were trying to get a Day at Elvington sorted a v-max day why not bring your scoob along John (or any scoob owner) there will be IHI'd Ibizas there?. Its all just a little fun.

Last edited by RR; 01 May 2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01 May 2005, 06:22 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

What does the golf weigh? What tyres? Impressive result for FWD.
Old 01 May 2005, 06:31 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

at totb3 a twin engined mk1 golf got 10.8
Old 01 May 2005, 06:50 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

What does the golf weigh? What tyres? Impressive result for FWD.
Not sure John probably Slicks. Weight not sure i would think 950-1000kgs.