ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

imprezas that are not registered as turbos

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2005, 10:04 AM
Boosha
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default imprezas that are not registered as turbos

i have heard (and read posts) about the imprezas in this country that are not registered as turbos and that obviously makes for cheaper insurance. (not strictly legal though, i know)

I really reall want an impreza, and I am 21 with driving license since last septemeber.

Can someone tell me about these impreza's please.

cheers
Old 29 April 2005, 10:10 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Not only a bit illegal, but totally illegal.

Some imports are registered as GL's as I remember.

Hurt someone with invalid insurance and not only are you likley to spend some time inside, but be paying for the rest of your life.
Old 29 April 2005, 10:28 AM
Boosha
Scooby Newbie

anyone got one ?
Old 29 April 2005, 10:31 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Yeah, my STI5 Type R is listed as a 'GL' on the V5 document. But it's described correctly with my insurance company including all mods listed.

If you don't, you're effectively driving without insurance.
Old 29 April 2005, 10:32 AM
Boosha
Scooby Newbie

oh ok. i see that this could cause quite a problem...

well...

can you tell me the best impreza that will be not too bad on insurance...
Old 29 April 2005, 10:36 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

A UK car will almost always be cheaper to insure than a Jap import, and a standard car will be cheaper to insure than a PPP'd or modded car.

If you're after a Turbo, then a standard spec UK (classic shape) Impreza will be cheapest to insure (and is a very good car). Obviously a non-turbo Impreza 'Sport' model will be even cheaper.

Though cheap is a relative term, at your age it's all going to be pretty pricey - especially if you don't have much no-claims bonus.
Old 29 April 2005, 10:58 AM
Boosha
Scooby Newbie

can youtell me what im looking for then, year etc ?
Old 29 April 2005, 11:04 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

In Japan the recent WRX STi's have a model called the GL and refers to a particular spec.

When the impreza first came out Prodrive registered some turbo's as GL's and I think they were badged as GL's. See www.sidc.co.uk for model history as it used to be on there.

HTH.
Old 29 April 2005, 11:58 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I insured a UK Turbo (MY00) with 1yrs NCB at age 20 (nearly 2 years ago) and it was £2000ish, so not bad.

If you live at home insure it in your mom/dads name. Just get the V5 in their name and insure it in their name with you as named driver. Some on here will complain about this being illegal - well if it bothers you too, also get named on another car in the family. That way you could be driving either for up to 50% and not necessarily the main driver.
Old 29 April 2005, 12:08 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Haven't insurance companies wised up to this and seriously load premiums as a result? Try doing it the other way around - putting your Dad on your policy (makes no difference that he'll never actually drive it!!).
Old 29 April 2005, 12:15 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
Haven't insurance companies wised up to this and seriously load premiums as a result? Try doing it the other way around - putting your Dad on your policy (makes no difference that he'll never actually drive it!!).
Mine don't... £4000 on my own policy or £1500 on dad's. I'm also insured on his Chavalier estate... and have driven it once
Old 29 April 2005, 12:47 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

My sti type r was registed as a GL...
Old 29 April 2005, 01:10 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

well if he does this he won't be earnin any no claims bonus

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
I insured a UK Turbo (MY00) with 1yrs NCB at age 20 (nearly 2 years ago) and it was £2000ish, so not bad.

If you live at home insure it in your mom/dads name. Just get the V5 in their name and insure it in their name with you as named driver. Some on here will complain about this being illegal - well if it bothers you too, also get named on another car in the family. That way you could be driving either for up to 50% and not necessarily the main driver.
Old 29 April 2005, 02:40 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

If you are 21 and been driving since september, them i would look away from impreza turbos!!! look at the impreza sport?? these are 2.0l N/A cars and are almost just as much fun as a turbo, but with out the turbo...really...i did'nt know that !
Insurance companies will not touch you as you have to have at least be 25+ to drive a performance car like the impreza.
I to want a scooby to, but i know that no insurance companies will touch me :cry2: and even if an insurance company gambled on insuraning me, the cost would be sky high.

My advice would be to get a 1.6 or 1.8 Litre car something like an astra and build up the NCB for a few years and then think about getting an impreza turbo...thats what im going to do. Luckly ive been driving since i was 17 1/2 - 18 and have had my licence for 2 and a bit years towards my NCB...it all add up and + my dad has a scooby, so that kind of takes the hunger away a little bit.

Hope i have been of some help?
Darren
Originally Posted by Boosha
can youtell me what im looking for then, year etc ?

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 29 April 2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 29 April 2005, 03:38 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
If you are 21 and been driving since september, them i would look away from impreza turbos!!! look at the impreza sport?? these are 2.0l N/A cars and are almost just as much fun as a turbo, but with out the turbo...really...i did'nt know that !
Insurance companies will not touch you as you have to have at least be 25+ to drive a performance car like the impreza.
I to want a scooby to, but i know that no insurance companies will touch me :cry2: and even if an insurance company gambled on insuraning me, the cost would be sky high.

My advice would be to get a 1.6 or 1.8 Litre car something like an astra and build up the NCB for a few years and then think about getting an impreza turbo...thats what im going to do. Luckly ive been driving since i was 17 1/2 - 18 and have had my licence for 2 and a bit years towards my NCB...it all add up and + my dad has a scooby, so that kind of takes the hunger away a little bit.

Hope i have been of some help?
Darren

I think ure mad mate,,,, one of my friends is 19 and has a uk turbo,, i had an sti type r v5 at 21 im looking for another type r now im only 23,, you shouldnt
fill peoples head with mumbo jumbo,,no offence,,,

At 21 u can have near enough any car u like ,, u just have to pay through the nose,,
Old 29 April 2005, 03:40 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

One thing I suggest, don't miss out on that period of learning in ever faster and capable cars. I look back and realise what fun I had in my 56bhp Chevette, then my Astra SR and Manta's, starting dirt cheap, small prangs not a problem. You learn so much with an underpowered car. How to keep momentum up, how to corner...
Old 29 April 2005, 04:02 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by marcymarc555
I think ure mad mate,,,, one of my friends is 19 and has a uk turbo,, i had an sti type r v5 at 21 im looking for another type r now im only 23,, you shouldnt
fill peoples head with mumbo jumbo,,no offence,,,

At 21 u can have near enough any car u like ,, u just have to pay through the nose,,
more road kill....IMHO (of course), learn to drive a RWD car before you even consider a fast 4WD. You will be building up no-claims as well as driving skills.
Old 29 April 2005, 05:51 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

shameless plug.....

hmm wana a scooby!!!!

one unloved stealth version looking for a new home

2.0 GL

MART
Old 29 April 2005, 06:49 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

YES but a young driver owning a scooby, the insurance will be sky high...and what you or your parents are millionaires!!!! some how i don't think so! save the dosh on the sky hi insurance and put it towards a better newer scooby, the insurance company will thank you for it.

Darren
Old 29 April 2005, 07:30 PM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

If you want a Scooby mate you should just go for one.

Insurance will be high. I was quoted £2500 on my STi Ver III. This was obviously too much, but my dad is in the motor trade so am on his traders policy... free insurance ...lol.

But seriously, £2500 isnt so bad for that sort of car. UK Turbo would be even cheaper than that. If you really want one like i did, bite the bullet and go for 1... u wont regret it!
Old 29 April 2005, 07:33 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Perhaps. Perhaps i had better start saving and most important of all try and get a job. I think i can wait a few more years.

Originally Posted by Stiver3
If you want a Scooby mate you should just go for one.

Insurance will be high. I was quoted £2500 on my STi Ver III. This was obviously too much, but my dad is in the motor trade so am on his traders policy... free insurance ...lol.

But seriously, £2500 isnt so bad for that sort of car. UK Turbo would be even cheaper than that. If you really want one like i did, bite the bullet and go for 1... u wont regret it!
Old 29 April 2005, 07:38 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

if you want one that badly...get one...

I'm 26 (last monday) and got my first scoob 2 months ago as insurance was just silly before then...but now it's dropped like a toliet seat.

If you can get the money, pay for one...but think what a couple of years of insurance money would get you after a couple of years...maybe a lower milage car or a better spec'd model...

at the end of the day, you can have what you want, you pays yer money and takes yer choice.
Old 29 April 2005, 07:40 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

Perhaps. Perhaps i had better start saving and most important of all try and get a job.
A job does help....21? No Job? I hope for ure sake ure a skiving student....
Old 29 April 2005, 09:51 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Newer Scoobs are cheaper to insure than Classics in my experience. WRX STi PPP is £40 more than a standard Classic at Elephant for me. Standard WRX is £70 cheaper and the car is worth £4k more. Security and saafety I guess bring the premium down.
Old 29 April 2005, 09:59 PM
perky555
Scooby Regular

I got a my99 uk turbo when i was 22 that was 780ish with tesco 3yrs ago
hasnt gone down though stayed about the same.
If i was you i'd go for an import WRX, more power, more kit (aircon etc), loads cheaper to buy (seen some for 2.5k whereas you wont get a uk for under 3.5k) only downside is theyre about 300 more to insure, but thats nothing with all the money you save buying an import rather than a uk model.
Old 30 April 2005, 10:37 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Yep im a uni student coming to the end of my 2nd year.

Originally Posted by Horico
A job does help....21? No Job? I hope for ure sake ure a skiving student....
Old 30 April 2005, 10:41 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I know what you guy are saying. i just don't have any money at the mo, unlease i sold my 1.6 8v astra for like £2k and thats not likely to get me anywere and the insurance, my wonderful parents are paying that for me, until i get an income, and i don't think they would want to pay 2.5k on insurance just for me, when my dad has to pay for almost everything in the house.

So i think ill wait, get a job and get a decent spec'd impreza turbo, something like an STi. i think i can wait. and as they say, 'waiting make the heart grow stronger'. Sprry if that was a bit Hollywood.

Darren
Old 30 April 2005, 11:46 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Thats the way. Pity their are'nt the range of RWD cars available nowadays, sliding round a traffic island at 20mph on skinny tyres was fairly safe and a great way to learn.
Old 30 April 2005, 04:17 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

I know what you guy are saying. i just don't have any money at the mo, unlease i sold my 1.6 8v astra for like £2k and thats not likely to get me anywere and the insurance, my wonderful parents are paying that for me, until i get an income, and i don't think they would want to pay 2.5k on insurance just for me, when my dad has to pay for almost everything in the house.

So i think ill wait, get a job and get a decent spec'd impreza turbo, something like an STi. i think i can wait. and as they say, 'waiting make the heart grow stronger'. Sprry if that was a bit Hollywood.

Darren
yup as himself said, if u want one get one! im just gone 22 last month, have my first one on the boat tomorrow..98 white type r sti..i got traders insurance last month for £2200 so it feels like a gift from god!! when u outta college with a job ul be laughin!!
Old 30 April 2005, 04:34 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Easy way to do is to get the car , register and insure the car on your mum or dads name, get a cheap 2nd car get insured fully comp with a poilcy that lets you drive any other car 3rd party.

Quick Reply: imprezas that are not registered as turbos