Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2005, 02:40 PM
ridell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to Buy and what power ??

Hi all,

I would like some information please!!

I am going to buy my first Scooby in the next few weeks and would like some information on power and types please

I have about £5000 to spend and am looking at finding one around 1994-1996. I have been told that the UK model had less power than the Jap Imports, is this correct ? any suggestions which model I should look out for around this sort of price range?

Any Info would be a great help

Thanks
Old 29 April 2005, 03:57 PM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

just remember that alot of the cars around that era will have been driven hard for most of their lifespan,,,be careful and i hope you find the car you want
Old 29 April 2005, 04:01 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

For the years you quote yes,less power. uk turbo 2000 @ 215bhp IIRC

Jap Domestic market models ranging from 240 + +
pros
on the whole better spec as standard

cons
dearer insurance
subaru dealers dont (on the whole) service imports, but there are loads of v good places that do. and they are cheaper than dealers.

http://www.iwoc.co.uk/jpimp4.html

You could write pages about pros and cons if you go into specific models compared to others. But those are the very basics.
Old 29 April 2005, 04:19 PM
New_scooby_04

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've seen an increasing number of people on here that are looking to buy a cheap Scooby 5kish, which generally puts you in the 8-10 year old import range) but I wonder how many have considered the insurance (esp if you're under 30, as its gonna be V high) servicing, and running costs. For example, you'll need to run it on optimax with Octance booster.

You'll want one with a knocklink fitted to watch out for det that might result from a bad batch of fuel etc.. There are some very good examples out there, but when you consider the probs with getting a FSH, knowing if the prev owners have been using that octane booster etc... I just wouldn't risk it. If you're prepared for the running costs and can find a low milage low owner example, then it might be worth a look. Otherwise, I'd re-consider.

There is no such thing as a cheap scooby, one way or another, you pay i'm afraid. Accept it and cough up, fine. Don't accept it and scrimp and it could cost you dearly.

Sorry to be so glum, but IMHO there are far safer buys out there for 5k.

Regards,

NS04
Old 29 April 2005, 04:45 PM
SUBKING
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've seen an increasing number of people on here that are looking to buy a cheap Scooby 5kish, which generally puts you in the 8-10 year old import range) but I wonder how many have considered the insurance (esp if you're under 30, as its gonna be V high) servicing, and running costs. For example, you'll need to run it on optimax with Octance booster.

You'll want one with a knocklink fitted to watch out for det that might result from a bad batch of fuel etc.. There are some very good examples out there, but when you consider the probs with getting a FSH, knowing if the prev owners have been using that octane booster etc... I just wouldn't risk it. If you're prepared for the running costs and can find a low milage low owner example, then it might be worth a look. Otherwise, I'd re-consider.

There is no such thing as a cheap scooby, one way or another, you pay i'm afraid. Accept it and cough up, fine. Don't accept it and scrimp and it could cost you dearly.

Sorry to be so glum, but IMHO there are far safer buys out there for 5k.

Regards,

NS04
Out of interest, how much is the running costs on a 5K scooby?

e.g Average servicing etc etc
Old 29 April 2005, 04:48 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Oil change about £80-£100

Major services £400-£600

About 20-25mpg depending on how/where you drive. £20 gets me 100miles.

From my experience.
Old 29 April 2005, 05:06 PM
pabs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by furrydice79
just remember that alot of the cars around that era will have been driven hard for most of their lifespan,,,be careful and i hope you find the car you want
What makes cars of that era more prone to a good 'Ragging'?

Trending Topics

Old 29 April 2005, 05:07 PM
pabs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by furrydice79
What makes cars of that era more prone to a good 'Ragging'? I disagree - I am a classic owner and treat my car with a great deal of care
Old 29 April 2005, 11:29 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by pabs
What makes cars of that era more prone to a good 'Ragging'? I disagree - I am a classic owner and treat my car with a great deal of care
I don't doubt that for a second mate! I think the point being made is that the problem with the older cars -especially the imports- is that often you've not way of knowing whether other owners have treated the car with similar care and respect.

As David at APi said recently, a lot of engine failures happen within the first couple of weeks of a new oner taking a car. Could mean that they just don't know how to drive it....could also be a bit of that and a lot of 1 or more prev owners having largely worn the poor motor out (not used OB etc) and got shot of it before it cost them a few grand for a rebuild!

Just to add to the servicing/running costs, bare in mind that consumables like tyres will cost you around £80 per corner, a new clutch fitted will set you back anywhere between £350 and £700 decent brake pads about £140..... Like I said, not cheap cars! Great, but not cheap!

Best

NS04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 30 April 2005 at 08:35 AM.
Old 30 April 2005, 01:45 AM
nick16v
Scooby Regular

Hi fella, loads of info on here. http://www.iwoc.co.uk/contents.html tells you most of the models, dates, jap / uk specs
Old 30 April 2005, 06:36 PM
ridell
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have looked into things like insurance (I am 30) and running costs....as for repairs I have friends that work in garages.....some of which worked for Subaru so any problems I may face mechanically shouldn't be too much of a problem.

This is great info you have all given me and ill keep looking before I go buy one in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again
Old 30 April 2005, 08:41 PM
mad-dad
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=As David at APi said recently, a lot of engine failures happen within the first couple of weeks of a new oner taking a car. Could mean that they just don't know how to drive it....could also be a bit of that and a lot of 1 or more prev owners having largely worn the poor motor out (not used OB etc) and got shot of it before it cost them a few grand for a rebuild!
NS04[/QUOTE] hey guys, i'm in the same kind of position as above, and rather than start a whole new thread, does anyone know what to actually check for clues that the engine is gonna let go. insurance doesn't worry me or running costs cos i'm already running around in a slightly tuned 200sx.
any help gratefully recieved
Old 30 April 2005, 08:52 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

hey guys, i'm in the same kind of position as above, and rather than start a whole new thread, does anyone know what to actually check for clues that the engine is gonna let go. insurance doesn't worry me or running costs cos i'm already running around in a slightly tuned 200sx.
any help gratefully recieved
History. General condition. UK. I don't know how else you could tell .
Old 30 April 2005, 09:02 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is one car that should be a safe buy and that is the 1 owner, UK Car, with Full Subaru Service History and owned by a careful driver, sensible mileage and a good price ..... they would take some searching out but certainly worth it!

To my mind, avoid ANYTHING Imported, ANYTHING Modified, ANYTHING thats been tracked, ANYTHING with more than 2 owners and anything that makes a big song and dance about POWER and 400BHP and the suchlike!

At 30 I guess you have outgrown Big Spoilers, Gigantic Exhaust and lighty-Up Toys for the dashboard?

The UK car is the way to go ........

Pete
Old 30 April 2005, 10:28 PM
acko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
There is one car that should be a safe buy and that is the 1 owner, UK Car, with Full Subaru Service History and owned by a careful driver, sensible mileage and a good price ..... they would take some searching out but certainly worth it!

To my mind, avoid ANYTHING Imported, ANYTHING Modified, ANYTHING thats been tracked, ANYTHING with more than 2 owners and anything that makes a big song and dance about POWER and 400BHP and the suchlike!

At 30 I guess you have outgrown Big Spoilers, Gigantic Exhaust and lighty-Up Toys for the dashboard?

Pete
very funny the way you describe that, but totally agree with everything you said
Old 30 April 2005, 10:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont agree with some of it, imports are ok as long as you know whats been done to them and what fuel they have been run on, even a uk scoob can have a bad tank of fuel and get det, so its down to the owner and how much they care for the car, the biggest point is, that the older cars are now available to the less mechanically sympathetic public, ie boy racers, chavs etc who wont care for them at all, thinking an oil change only needs doing if the car runs rough, by that time the engine has gone boom as they ran it on 95 ron fuel!
Down to the owner, not the fact its imported or not, a car can be driven just as hard on a road as it can on a track, just remember that

Tony
Old 30 April 2005, 10:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I dont agree with some of it, imports are ok as long as you know whats been done to them and what fuel they have been run on,
Which by definition you can NEVER know about an Import (unless imported as new).

Pete
Old 30 April 2005, 10:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The same as with a UK car pete
My car was new at registration, JDM import, but if the next owner says that ive blown the engine 2 weeks after he's had it and ran it on 95 ron when id say run it on 100 ron then whos fault is that?

Tony
Old 30 April 2005, 10:56 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pete
uk car is the way to go? thats a load of **** in all fairness lad..
i know at least 5 off the top of my head friends of mine who have sti's/wrx/r's rangin from 95 to 99! and not one of them has had any trouble with it so far! one friend actually has a wrx and it has done 191,000kms on it! and its still going ok,so i dunno why ur sayin stay away from the imports..in my opinion, i say stay away from the the uk spec and get a jap, i wouldnt drive anything else!!apart from the looks and power u wont lose as much on getn a gud clean low mileage jap as u wud if u get the uk spec jobbie
Old 30 April 2005, 11:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The same as with a UK car pete
My car was new at registration, JDM import, but if the next owner says that ive blown the engine 2 weeks after he's had it and ran it on 95 ron when id say run it on 100 ron then whos fault is that?

Tony
How could you blow his engine 2 weeks after he has bought it off you?

Would you still be asking to use it or something?

Pete
Old 30 April 2005, 11:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
uk car is the way to go? thats a load of **** in all fairness lad..
i know at least 5 off the top of my head friends of mine who have sti's/wrx/r's rangin from 95 to 99! and not one of them has had any trouble with it so far! one friend actually has a wrx and it has done 191,000kms on it! and its still going ok,so i dunno why ur sayin stay away from the imports..in my opinion, i say stay away from the the uk spec and get a jap, i wouldnt drive anything else!!apart from the looks and power u wont lose as much on getn a gud clean low mileage jap as u wud if u get the uk spec jobbie
I said that a UK car is a less risky bet than an Import ..... and it is!

Pete
Old 30 April 2005, 11:07 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

I said that a UK car is a less risky bet than an Import ..... and it is!

Pete
no u didnt say that lad, sure thats obvious, its always been in the uk and ul know the service history,we all know that..what u said is "stay away from anything imported" , u getn old man and going for the less exciting sensible option! **** that, get the jappy!!preferably a two door
Old 30 April 2005, 11:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
no u didnt say that lad, sure thats obvious, its always been in the uk and ul know the service history,we all know that..what u said is "stay away from anything imported" , u getn old man and going for the less exciting sensible option! **** that, get the jappy!!preferably a two door
I said AVOID Imports ..... and thats great advice if you have cash, as the questioner has.

Gone are the days when the poor had to buy an Import .... buyers can now buy the REAL thing ... prices for UK cars are not what they were!

So, the advice remains correct - why buy an inferior Imported WRX when you can have a Proper UK Impreza?? No reason whatsoever!

Pete

ps. please stop typing in mobile phone text style - YOU is YOU - NOT U!! There is no character limit on SN!
Old 01 May 2005, 11:32 AM
ridell
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I will more than likely be looking at getting a Import....cheaper to buy and a bit more power plus all the little extras! maybe a bit more to insure but that's not a big problem....but we will see

I so can't wait to get this car.....its the car I have wanted since they came out but lack of funds and age was all against me at the time. With the amount of money I have to spent on buying this car I may not be able to be too choosy on how many owners it has etc but I will be looking at the mileage and trying to find one with lowish mileage if I can.

all your info is great.....keep it coming

Thanks

Richard
Old 01 May 2005, 12:06 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I recently bought my 1995 silver saloon WRX and is the first import I have ever owned. In my opinion a car is a car and it could have all the service history in the world but still of spent its entire life raced around a track within an inch of its life. As long as you have the car mechanically checked out and the car looks to of been well looked after your on the right road. My car was a fresh import into the country and had 60k miles on the clock (not bad I felt for a 10 year old car). Had just had a cam belt change, New pads & discs, unmarked original alloys & new Yoko's, Turbo timer (so has had good cool down from each run), totally unmarked body work and no sign of any repair, immaculate interior with aircon and not to forget my roadside flare and original hazard triangle. All this for £4.700 from a dealer. I'm over the moon with it and being an import its already up on horsepower compared to the UK turbo.