Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Police "section 59"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2005, 09:56 AM
mrfuzzyfelts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police "section 59"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know much about this???

I put my scooby on the road friday and have been pulled 4 times!!!

They say my exhaust is to loud bla bla bla, and now they have given me a "section 59"!

So anymore and my car is inpounded and i have to pay to get it back!!

Anyone had this done>??? How much is it to get your car back etc???

Cheers
tom

p.s. The copper that pulled me went on to say "i tried to get a scooby last week but i couldnt get insurance on a turbo so im gonna get a 2.0 GL" Somein tells me he was a bit pissed off cos i had a turbo!!! lol to**er!
Old 02 May 2005, 10:07 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think quiet neighbourhoods are so fed up with the selfish invading their ear drums that the Police have decided a clamp-down is long overdue.

And I, for one, support them fully!! Completely pissed off with kiddies and their boomboxes and drainpipe exhausts ....... its a bloody menace!

Take their keys off them until they grow up is what I say

Pete
Old 02 May 2005, 10:11 AM
mrfuzzyfelts
Scooby Regular

Ye but i dont have bassboxes nor a stupid exhaust, scoobies are just loud as im sure u know!
Old 02 May 2005, 10:15 AM
ukjesters
Scooby Regular

Section 59 of the police reform act 2002 stating that it is an offence to cause harrassment alarm or annoyance to other road users/members of the public whilst in a vehicle. You get a warning first but any further breaches of this act and your vehicle will be impounded and i think it costs £112 to get it back within the first 2 weeks and then a daily charge thereafter.

Hope that helps, i'm sure that a more thorough explanation of S59 is only a matter of minutes away...
Old 02 May 2005, 10:18 AM
mrfuzzyfelts
Scooby Regular

ok another wierd question, Say it gets impounded....

When you get it back is the slate clean? so will i get another warning or will it be straight in the inpound again and even harder to get back>>>?????
Old 02 May 2005, 10:18 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrfuzzyfelts
Ye but i dont have bassboxes nor a stupid exhaust, scoobies are just loud as im sure u know!
Holy Crap thats REALLY BAD!!!

I fully support you, I didn't realise you had the standard exhaust system - the one approved for use in the UK???

I think you have a case for unfair treatment

Pete
Old 02 May 2005, 10:20 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

As ukjesters has said Section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002 covers vehicles being used in a manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance.

Just how loud is the exhaust on your car?
Old 02 May 2005, 10:23 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Actually an Impreza Turbo with a standard exhaust isn't actually that loud, I remember when I drove a friends one with a standard exhaust (when mine had a PPP) i was amazed at how quiet it was.
Old 02 May 2005, 10:27 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that.

What constabulary was it? I know Grampian Police won't comment on their recent crackdown.
Old 02 May 2005, 10:28 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
Holy Crap thats REALLY BAD!!!

I fully support you, I didn't realise you had the standard exhaust system - the one approved for use in the UK???

I think you have a case for unfair treatment

Pete
pete you are a plank sometimes
Old 02 May 2005, 10:29 AM
ukjesters
Scooby Regular

ok another wierd question, Say it gets impounded....

When you get it back is the slate clean? so will i get another warning or will it be straight in the inpound again and even harder to get back>>>?????
Afraid not, when you get it back you are warned as to future use of the vehicle, i.e alarm/harrassment/annoyance, so in effect that is your 1st warning again so the next breach and the vehicle gets impounded again.
Old 02 May 2005, 10:32 AM
mrfuzzyfelts
Scooby Regular

ok my scooby is nothing major special, but in a way as i live in a small town in wales its prob the best looking car / Loudest / fastest etc and me being only 20 i think its just them facts that they dont like :-(
Old 02 May 2005, 10:33 AM
mrfuzzyfelts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IanW
Just how loud is the exhaust on your car?
well there is a WR1 down the road 04 plate and its not much louder than that. A bit tho,

But it aint stupidly loud!
Old 02 May 2005, 10:41 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry, but at 20 years old ........... your hearing is tuned in to girls and beer tops (nowt wrong with that either)

I would think that there have been complaints - maybe the WR1 drives his/hers carefully and thoughtfully through the built up areas, so - although loud isn't being run over, say 1500RPM?

Again, at 20, I would imagine you thinks its cool and clever and smart to race around waking everyone up ( it's how it is ) ..............

How much is your insurance?? at 20??

Pete
Old 02 May 2005, 10:44 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
pete you are a plank sometimes
Just because I say what you are all think ..... but don't have the ***** to say it!

Pete
Old 02 May 2005, 10:49 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Just because I say what you are all think ..... but don't have the ***** to say it!

Pete
so why do you own an impreza? surely half the fun of owning one is sticking a few mods on it or is yours totally standard? and anyway being in your late 70s surely you are to deaf to hear anything anyway i sense you have been on the cough medicine again pops and are trying to wind people up
Old 02 May 2005, 10:58 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

so why do you own an impreza? surely half the fun of owning one is sticking a few mods on it or is yours totally standard? and anyway being in your late 70s surely you are to deaf to hear anything anyway i sense you have been on the cough medicine again pops and are trying to wind people up
Lets get one thing straight ..... you do NOT have to modify an Impreza if you own one (by definition, you have just bought a car that doesn't do what you want it to do, that means you are an idiot and bought the wrong car in the first place!)

I own an Impreza because I wanted one, it did what I wanted - off the shelf - I actually bought the car that suited ........... so, no need to modify!

Then again, I am not a kiddie racer who wants to look a pratt ....... it would be very interesting sometimes if you could jump out of your cars and stood by the side of the road while your car came pratting past .......... the public are NOT saying, "Look, WOW, what a car!!"

They ARE saying, "Look, what a *******!!" ..... "what a waste of money" .... "Just WHAT on gods earth does he think he looks like?" .... " what charity event has that car escaped from?"

Pete
Old 02 May 2005, 11:06 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Lets get one thing straight ..... you do NOT have to modify an Impreza if you own one (by definition, you have just bought a car that doesn't do what you want it to do, that means you are an idiot and bought the wrong car in the first place!)

I own an Impreza because I wanted one, it did what I wanted - off the shelf - I actually bought the car that suited ........... so, no need to modify!

Then again, I am not a kiddie racer who wants to look a pratt ....... it would be very interesting sometimes if you could jump out of your cars and stood by the side of the road while your car came pratting past .......... the public are NOT saying, "Look, WOW, what a car!!"

They ARE saying, "Look, what a *******!!" ..... "what a waste of money" .... "Just WHAT on gods earth does he think he looks like?" .... " what charity event has that car escaped from?"

Pete
and you drive an mx5 i think your boyfriend tarquin is calling you back to bed
Old 02 May 2005, 11:16 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Weak response

Got you in a corner have I??

Nowt wrong with Tarquin ..... he also can buy the right car (he isn't such an idiot to buy the wrong car and needs to modify it! .... thats just plain GAY!)

Pete
Old 02 May 2005, 11:34 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with most comments on here, even Pete's

What i find distressing is the "Powers" given to the Bobby on the beat to be 'Judge Dread' is Judge and Juruer he imposes an on the spot fine or Car impounded because your of 'His 'Opinion' or an 'Opinion' of a disgruntaled Nieghbour. And as an Individual have No rights of redress No we are getting a "Police State"

IMHO

Tony
Old 02 May 2005, 11:39 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Seek legal advice quick. If they do impound your car, then you stand to be out of pocket, not to metion the inconvieniance. As you say its standard, surely that exhaust has already been approved by HMG? and the police shouldn't ba able do do a thing.
Old 02 May 2005, 11:52 AM
mrfuzzyfelts
Scooby Regular

i know, its stupid... One of the cops eben said to "Ive seen you driving around town and your very sesible but even on tick over the car is loud" So why section 59 me then you c*nts!

Cops say they get **** off people is there any supprise when there total wa**ers

They pull me over out of town at the exact time the pubs kick out... there was fighting in town and they ignore that and tell me my car is to loud etc!!! TO SCARED TO DO PROPER WORK INSTEAD THEY PICK EASY JOBS!!!!!!! Im not saying all cops are the same cos there are some A1 cops who are really tidy, But its the little pri*ks that think there special cos they got a cop uniform on and prob enjoyin the power!
Old 02 May 2005, 11:53 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a stock exhaust fitted or not?
Old 02 May 2005, 11:57 AM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Did the pig do a dB test on the volume of your car or are his ears able to calculate exact dB volume on there own?

Is your car heavily moded at all? Although the exhaust is UK approved, its more than likely only approved on a standard engine (induction kit alone will increase your exhausts volume).
Old 02 May 2005, 11:59 AM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

Oi, watch it with the MX5 comments - I've got 1 too & there's nothing wrong with 'em!
Got Eagle F1's, shiny posh wood steering wheel, crap original radio & everything!
Slower than a snail going backwards compared 2 the STi on the straight but on the twistie bits I've given a few quicker cars a run 4 their money!
Say sorry now u miserable sod!
Old 02 May 2005, 12:14 PM
mrfuzzyfelts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXtra power
Did the pig do a dB test on the volume of your car or are his ears able to calculate exact dB volume on there own?

Is your car heavily moded at all? Although the exhaust is UK approved, its more than likely only approved on a standard engine (induction kit alone will increase your exhausts volume).
Ye induction kit and dump valve :-S
Old 02 May 2005, 12:18 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

and did he dB test your exhaust for loudness to judge if it was too loud?
Old 02 May 2005, 12:19 PM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

Nah, something funny going on here!
You still haven't answered the question of "Do you have a standard exhaust or not?"
Surely to be classified as a noise nuisance, the police have to actually prove the noise is above a certain, acceptable decibel level?
If it was my car & it was impounded, I wouldn't be paying the ruddy fine, they could sort it out in court, 'specially if the car was a standard "off the shelf" one!
The only exception being would be if you were persistently driving round residential roads at 3am in 2nd gear, revving the crap out of it!
Now that would **** anybody off after a while, even me!
Are you sure you're giving us the whole truth here?
Old 02 May 2005, 12:23 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyAddict
Nah, something funny going on here!
You still haven't answered the question of "Do you have a standard exhaust or not?"
Surely to be classified as a noise nuisance, the police have to actually prove the noise is above a certain, acceptable decibel level?
If it was my car & it was impounded, I wouldn't be paying the ruddy fine, they could sort it out in court, 'specially if the car was a standard "off the shelf" one!
The only exception being would be if you were persistently driving round residential roads at 3am in 2nd gear, revving the crap out of it!
Now that would **** anybody off after a while, even me!
Are you sure you're giving us the whole truth here?
He may have a split or hole in it...
Old 02 May 2005, 12:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I doubt he has a standard exhaust ...

I think he probably races around the quiet hamlet in the early hours of the morning disturbing the peace ...

I am sure we all would want the car crushing - but, give him a chance, he's just a kid ...

Pete

Quick Reply: Police "section 59"!!!!!!!!!!!!!