Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

This is why the police get a bad name!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2005, 12:40 PM
stuartjw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is why the police get a bad name!!!

I was leaving a garage late and accelarated gently up to the limit in a 30 zone. Looked in rear view to notice a police vehicle and ensured I was travelling 30mph - Obviously to catch me he had to 'speed' as I was quite a distance in front of him (The police vehicle had no speed detection equipment (although he may have admittedly had a calibrated speedo)).

I left my vehicle and asked him what was the problem - He stated I was speeding to which i replied that i was not. He then preceeded to tell me how I was travelling at 45mph - Complete rubbish and after denying it for some time he said OK then maybe 40. Come on what the hell was the point in pulling me over - Told me he was just giving me some advice. Then told me to never speed in a 30, 40 or 50 zone but you will get away with most things in a 60 or 70.

It just infuriates me and as is said constantly - Catch some real criminals (This is why you get a bad name). I can honestly say that I am a law abiding citizen and it just annoys me.

Any other car than a scooby I doubt he would have even bothered. Also I know there are police who own scoobies - Can any one of them honestly say they never stray over the speed limits. I think it stems from the fact that they are police officers and have advanced driving meaning they think they can speed more safely than other people - Rubbish.
Old 03 May 2005, 01:00 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Agree with you mate. I've been pulled over three times now for completely bullsh!t reasons and I'm religious about sticking to all non-motorway and B-road speed limits. I wouldn't mind so much if they just admitted they were checking out the car and owner ...
Old 03 May 2005, 01:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you like them to 'pull-over' the criminal who had just stolen your car??

I think its a cheap price to pay, to maybe catch some Car-Jackers??

Don't you??

Pete
Old 03 May 2005, 01:24 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stuartjw
I think it stems from the fact that they are police officers and have advanced driving meaning they think they can speed more safely than other people - Rubbish.
Are you saying that advanced driving tuition does not make a driver any safer?
Old 03 May 2005, 01:26 PM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Don't you??

Pete
This would be a great argument if he ran the number plate through the PNC and then checked if you were who you were supposed to be, i.e. the owner of the vehicle.

Did he perform an identity check Stuart?
Old 03 May 2005, 01:26 PM
stuartjw
Scooby Regular

Don't you??

Pete
Sorry but he did not pull me to check if it was stolen - That was quite obvious from his arrogant attitude. talked down to me and made me feel small.

If that WAS the reason he should have simply said "I am just pulling you for a spot check due to the nature of the car" - Would have been over the moon.

instead he accused me of breaking the law - That was what annoyed me.
Old 03 May 2005, 01:28 PM
stuartjw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyTom
This would be a great argument if he ran the number plate through the PNC and then checked if you were who you were supposed to be, i.e. the owner of the vehicle.

Did he perform an identity check Stuart?
No ID check whatsoever - There is no way he would have the chance to.

Trending Topics

Old 03 May 2005, 01:32 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

It was in the local paper the other day and I quote:

"Every officer in Merseyside police will be placed on traffic duty on May 19th to catch people travelling over the speed limit, this is to try and get the message across that speeding is dangerous"

Yeah right and it takes every officer in the force to do that then does it??

So if you are in the Merseyside area on 19th May be very careful.

Old 03 May 2005, 01:42 PM
SUBKING
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley

"Every officer in Merseyside police will be placed on traffic duty on May 19th to catch people travelling over the speed limit, this is to try and get the message across that speeding is dangerous"

I guess it's ok if you're a burgler or murderer on the 19th then!!
Totally ****ing ridiculous!!
Old 03 May 2005, 01:42 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley

....But if your a real criminal there won't be any police about on the 19th....??!!
Old 03 May 2005, 01:52 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Don't you??

Pete
This would be fine if that's what they were doing. But claiming you are speeding or otherwise breaking the law, and giving you a lecture about it, seems a bit much ... why not say they are just doing a vehicle check?
Old 03 May 2005, 02:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by terzo204
....But if your a real criminal there won't be any police about on the 19th....??!!
*dons mask* Warm up the van lads!

To return to the subject: I've been fortunate so far in that I've not been pulled over by the police, which is quite surprising since I've been told I look young for my 28 years. Personally I wouldn't object if they just wanted to ensure that the car wasn't stolen and were friendly and polite. I would not, however, be impressed If I was accused of an offence without any evidence.

Interesting that the officers said you can get away with pretty much anything on a 70 mph limit. I wonder if the people caught by the scamera vans on the M40 can use that excuse?

Good community relations is not rocket science, but it is a two way street: if either side assumes that the other is going to give them a problem and behaves according, the chances are there will be hard feelings. A smile and a friendly tone of voice here and there works wonders and makes life much more pleasant for both sides.

NS04
Old 03 May 2005, 05:18 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

been there mate . i got followed for about 10 mins the other day by a police bmw . i was doin the limit but he was just waiting for me to do some thing wrong . havent the stupid ***** got anything better to do then follow people around and intimidate them into doing something wrong. even tonight i saw 4 police bmws just prowling round my local area! 4 cars is a bit much ! and the other thing is some of the other **** heads on the roads dont even get a glance from the police even when they drive round in battered up ****boxes billowing smoke ! really makes my blood boil.
Old 03 May 2005, 05:55 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

Don't you??

Pete
It's a nice answer in theory, but how many car thieves pull over and go " OK hands up officer you got me " and how many speed off with the result being the car get's trashed/crashed/ innocent by standars knocked over etc etc?
Old 03 May 2005, 11:10 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Old 03 May 2005, 11:21 PM
rizzy
BANNED

thats what they do.once they put that uniform on they feel the power,and seek to abuse it.liek tony blair the muppet with the iraq war.

lib dems for me.
Old 03 May 2005, 11:30 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rizzy
thats what they do.once they put that uniform on they feel the power,and seek to abuse it.liek tony blair the muppet with the iraq war.

lib dems for me.
I take it that you have a better solution than having Police at all ?
Old 04 May 2005, 12:23 AM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
I take it that you have a better solution than having Police at all ?
Capital punishment! Cut a rapists danglies off - he won't do it again!

When the police start taking revenue from the number of people they catch (a la "safety" cameras), then this is surely opening the system up to corruption...
Old 04 May 2005, 07:42 AM
Azyman
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE.
It just infuriates me and as is said constantly - Catch some real criminals (This is why you get a bad name). I can honestly say that I am a law abiding citizen and it just annoys me.

thats why matey get the ones that will pay and leave the others that dont pay coz it is a waste of there time and manpower

Bit like the CSA and there is another story

Last edited by Azyman; 04 May 2005 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04 May 2005, 07:45 AM
Blue Babe
Scooby Newbie

I say take away there nice cars and get them back on the streets solving real crime. How many people would feel safer if the policeman was walking the streets rather than cruising them looking for nice cars to annoy?

Old 04 May 2005, 09:17 AM
PJ's Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spec-cie
This would be fine if that's what they were doing. But claiming you are speeding or otherwise breaking the law, and giving you a lecture about it, seems a bit much ... why not say they are just doing a vehicle check?
You can't stop vehicles to just do a vehicle check.. you have got to have grounds for suspicion that an offence has occurred or that it is being used in commiting an offence.

One thing people might bare in mind.. Burglars, thieves, rapist, robbers and generally every other bit of low life scum use a motor vehicle when commiting crime......you don't think they take the bus with a bag marked 'SWAG'?

Another thing if the Police just drove around checking vehicles and not stopping them we would have a thread moaning that 'All coppers do all day is drive around, they never stop criminals!'

PNC isn't the quickest thing at times and by stopping the car and talking to the driver a lot of the time you can ascertain if he's had a drink on drugs or 'dodgy' in someway... still beats any computer.

FINAL BIT OF RANT......

Stop me everyday I say for the five minutes it takes.Before long no one whould ever nick a Scoob cause you can't get five yards without being stopped and the law recognises most thieving b**stards cause they've dealt with them before.

If you get stopped... TIP for you.... attitude goes a long way and comments like 'what you stopped me for?', 'have you now't better do?' and 'you should be stopping real criminals!' will probably cause you more upset in the long run than the bobby whose heard it thirty thousand times and thinks right lets see what we can find!

FINALLY.. if your not happy with the service, get signed up, pull on the body armour and uniform and see if you can do a better job!
Old 04 May 2005, 10:19 AM
McScooby
Scooby Regular

"Catch some real criminals" ......ffs, how are these "real criminals" getting about? On a push bike wearing a black and white stripy top and a bag marked "swag"?

Oh, and you'd have to be pretty naive to believe that every officer in a force area be put onto dedicated traffic duty.....
Old 04 May 2005, 10:21 AM
McScooby
Scooby Regular

"You can't stop vehicles to just do a vehicle check.. you have got to have grounds for suspicion that an offence has occurred or that it is being used in commiting an offence"

I'm afriad you can....the Police have the power to stop a vehicle on a road or public place in order to check that all docs are in order.
Old 04 May 2005, 10:53 AM
PJ's Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by McScooby
"You can't stop vehicles to just do a vehicle check.. you have got to have grounds for suspicion that an offence has occurred or that it is being used in commiting an offence"

I'm afriad you can....the Police have the power to stop a vehicle on a road or public place in order to check that all docs are in order.
Last time I looked not being able to produce your documents to an officer in uniform was an offence. Admittedly probably didn't word the above correctly. Try explaining its a stop check, Phonix Bureau won't have it.

But I admit when Im wrong and probably could of put it better.
Old 04 May 2005, 10:55 AM
McScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PJ's Scoob
Last time I looked not being able to produce your documents to an officer in uniform was an offence. Admittedly probably didn't word the above correctly. Try explaining its a stop check, Phonix Bureau won't have it.

But I admit when Im wrong and probably could of put it better.

No drama....I accept your point
Old 04 May 2005, 11:00 AM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

I thought that you had 7 days to produce your documents (at a police station of your choice) if you didn't have them to hand when you were stopped...

At least that how it worked when I was last pulled last (was a bit embaressing really - I wheel span my RAV 4 diesel off at the lights - making a nice screaching noise as I turned right The unfortunate thing was, there was a police car waiting at the lights - needless to say, they pulled me over - "thinking I was a joyrider"). I didn't have any documents on me, so had to take them along within seven days - I was issued with a producer...
Old 04 May 2005, 11:08 AM
McScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FirebirdUK
I thought that you had 7 days to produce your documents (at a police station of your choice) if you didn't have them to hand when you were stopped...

At least that how it worked when I was last pulled last (was a bit embaressing really - I wheel span my RAV 4 diesel off at the lights - making a nice screaching noise as I turned right The unfortunate thing was, there was a police car waiting at the lights - needless to say, they pulled me over - "thinking I was a joyrider"). I didn't have any documents on me, so had to take them along within seven days - I was issued with a producer...

It is actually an offence not to produce your documents to an officer in uniform when requested (on the spot). Common sense allows 7 days to produce, as it would be foolish to keep all your docs with you all the time....but the offence has still been committed
Old 04 May 2005, 11:55 AM
UK300-199
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by McScooby
It is actually an offence not to produce your documents to an officer in uniform when requested (on the spot). Common sense allows 7 days to produce, as it would be foolish to keep all your docs with you all the time....but the offence has still been committed

Not true,

It is only a add on if you have comiited another offence ie no MOT,INSURANCE or Speeding etc if it gets to court you will be charged for failing to produce your docs within 7 days,BUT if everything is in order you will never be summoned to court for failing to produce within 7 days.

I get a producer every other week,most of the time its a copper who has nothing better to do.

For example.

Getting 2 producers on one street, i was at the top of the street i got stopped fair do's he gave me a producer, 200 yards down the street i got stopped again i explained i have a producer already and then he says ive got to issue you one. (subaru Impreza)

2) getting stopped for doing 28mph on a 30 zone.(skyline R34)

3) getting stopped so the copper could have a look under my bonnet (skyline R34)

4) getting stopped for my front windows being tinted when the front wasnt tinted,and the rear ones were and then tryed doing me for my exhaust and then to make it even worse tryed arresting me when i wouldnt sign the producer. (Subaru Impreza)

I could go on and on and on.
Old 04 May 2005, 12:06 PM
McScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300-199
Not true,

It is only a add on if you have comiited another offence ie no MOT,INSURANCE or Speeding etc if it gets to court you will be charged for failing to produce your docs within 7 days,BUT if everything is in order you will never be summoned to court for failing to produce within 7 days.
Not going to get into an arguement over this, but I am right....
An officer has the power to stop a vehicle to ensure all documents are in order, there needs be no other reason than that!
You are given 7 days from midnight of the issue of the HO/RT1 (producer) to produce the specified docs at a police stn of your choice in England or Wales, but you have committed the offence of not producing your documents when requested. Failure to produce the required documents within 7 days completes the offence, even if you actually have them.
You will never be charged with anything by the Police, you will reported for summons.
Old 04 May 2005, 12:08 PM
scooby123
Scooby Regular

**** THA POLICE

Quick Reply: This is why the police get a bad name!!!