Advise needed re Air Filter for my Scoob

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2005, 07:05 PM
Scooby_drew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advise needed re Air Filter for my Scoob

Need your advise/help people...

Just purchased a K&N air filter for my classic 1999 T plate impreza turbo, however have heard of some people bad stories re the MAF or MAP air sensor casuing problems and can also lead to other problems.

Have driven with it fiited now for approx 30 mile and had no bother so far.

Can any advise if they have any problems? or advise if there scoob is fitted with one and if its fine etc etc???.

P.S my car is chipped and the boost has been rasied by Well Lane Turbo Centre if that makes any difference???

Cheers
Scooby Drew.
Old 04 May 2005, 08:08 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

98-00 cars had particularly sensitive MAF sensors, but you should be OK with a K&N. If you were considering an induction kit I'd advise against it (on any Scoob, not just those years) as the extra vibration may shake the MAF to bits. ITG filters are best avoided too, as the tend to be exessively oily which also kills MAF's. If your MAF is deteriorating it usually leads to an erratic idle and/or a flat spot in power at around 4k revs. If you do an ECU reset (using connectors under steering column) it will become obvious if there's anything wrong. Many people replace the MAF annually on cars from those years as a precaution, as if the car runs too long or hard with a dodgy MAF it can blow the engine.
Old 04 May 2005, 08:19 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Well Lane Turbo Centre eh.....? Id leave the standard filter well alone, or Id fit a Japanese home market STI filter if I really had to alter anything.

Simon
Old 04 May 2005, 08:50 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by corradoboy
98-00 cars had particularly sensitive MAF sensors, but you should be OK with a K&N. If you were considering an induction kit I'd advise against it (on any Scoob, not just those years) as the extra vibration may shake the MAF to bits. ITG filters are best avoided too, as the tend to be exessively oily which also kills MAF's. If your MAF is deteriorating it usually leads to an erratic idle and/or a flat spot in power at around 4k revs. If you do an ECU reset (using connectors under steering column) it will become obvious if there's anything wrong. Many people replace the MAF annually on cars from those years as a precaution, as if the car runs too long or hard with a dodgy MAF it can blow the engine.
I can second that. Had a MY00 Turbo and decided to have an SUS Blitz filter kit fittted. Sounded nice, but a month down the line and noticed the car running lean, and the MPG had lowered cosiderably as the engine ECU was over compensating for lack of cooled air, and pushing more fuel into the engine, and then I noticed the eratic idle when at traffic lights. After searching here, found that if having these kits then it needs to be shielded and also have extra air flow by taking off one of the blanking plates to the vents and fitting a mini scoop. Luckily I got it to the dealers to have a diag, and they told me that the MAF was failing and asked them to put back the original filter box.
Old 04 May 2005, 10:08 PM
wrxsc00by
Scooby Regular

what about an uprated panel filter in the standard housing? is that "dangerous" for a standard wrx with full decat (classic)
Old 04 May 2005, 10:09 PM
Scooby_drew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Yes sorry when i said air filter i meant an induction kit. The kit was a very tight fit and the filter is not free to move at all due to a bracket and tie wrap etc, would you still advise against???
Old 04 May 2005, 10:14 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I would. Others may disagree, but on a 99 car I'd worry over my MAF before trying to get an extra 2hp with one of these. It's also worth noting that if you haven't fitted some sort of cold air supply or ducting that you may actually see a reduction in power, as the IK sucks up hot air from under the bonnet. They tend to only be beneficial when modifications take you ove 350bhp, and the MAF is either modified or maybe even not needed (?).
Old 04 May 2005, 10:21 PM
wrxsc00by
Scooby Regular

from what ive learned induction kits are bad news for lightly modded scoobys - unless they are properly shielded against heat they tend to suck in hot air from the bay simply due to their positioning... causes a lot of problems as the car isnt designed to take in superheated air for combustion

cold air kits good but £££ and im not sure if theres one available for classics.

im looking into gettin an upgrade for my scoob- MY93 and a Green panel filter has come highly recommended by those who have them in their cars - they take precedence over standard airboxes and induction kits...

now to find someone who supplies Green filters - im still looking!

wrxsc00by
Old 05 May 2005, 01:29 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

what about the option of an upgraded maf sensor, ie one that wont fail due to the reasons the standard one does. I run a 99 uk turbo and have a standard airbox still because of the sensor's on these models, but if an upgraded unit was available i'd be more than interested !
Old 05 May 2005, 09:27 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by wrxsc00by
now to find someone who supplies Green filters - im still looking!
Speak to Alyn at AS Performance who posts on here as Stockcar. They stock Green, and Alyn is very knowlegable and may be able to advise about replacement air boxes and MAF's.