ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

performance upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2005, 10:01 PM
agdodds
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance upgrade

I have a 51 plate wrx which I think is pi*s poor compared to my gti anniversary turbo (which was chipped to 230 bhp) and R32 which I suppose was understandable, what do you think should be my first addition boost controller or a remap?I understand the workings/advantages of the remap but what does the boost controller do? are they easily fitted
Old 13 May 2005, 11:13 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Better starting with a decat (or sports cat) and remap together. Maybe consider a quality replacement panel filter (Green/K&N/JR Racing/STi). Also worth spending a bit of dosh on the suspension and brakes to fully utilise what's already there, and what you may be adding.
Old 14 May 2005, 12:24 AM
virgin
Scooby Regular

yep, as above
Old 14 May 2005, 01:37 AM
wanted
Scooby Regular

I agree full de-cat
Old 14 May 2005, 04:41 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

What kinda budget? personnally I'd go for uprating the suspension - lowering springs possibly droplinks and a decent geometry set-up first. Then look at the brakes, probably well used on a 51 plate car, get some decent hoses and fluid and if needed new discs/pads.
Then go for power, full/partial decat + re-map.

John.
Old 14 May 2005, 10:19 AM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

How have you found your R32 compares to the Scoob ? Was thinking of one of those as my next car in the next 6 months.
Sorry to get off topic
Old 14 May 2005, 11:11 AM
05WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Classic
How have you found your R32 compares to the Scoob ? Was thinking of one of those as my next car in the next 6 months.
Sorry to get off topic

Reasonable discussion here : http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=425049

Trending Topics

Old 14 May 2005, 11:17 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

i have a 02 WRX and was really dissapointed with it in terms of power, having stepped out of a ctr, which im afraid to say is quicker in standard form.

Went to Extreme Scoobies and had 2 cats removed and a H&S b/b, this transformed the car for me, will be re-mapped next month too so more smiles on the way for me.

It is still no rocket, and i crave more power but for the money it was worth every penny.
Old 14 May 2005, 12:29 PM
New_scooby_04

I do have to wonder why you bought the car? Did you not take a test drive- wasn't the perceived shortfall in performance evident straight away? Aren't the other benefits of the Scooby obvious over the Golf!?!?

I don't see why someone whould sell one car and then buy another thinking it inferior from the outset! Posts like this from Newbies make me think that they might just be trolling!

Sorry if I'm wrong and you are genuine!

NS04
Old 14 May 2005, 05:08 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

i speak in defence for myself here only.

i had a ctr and up untill test driving one, i had never even been in a scooby. But i wanted one, maybe more for the looks and prestige of owning one. As im sure you know you cannot truly see what a car performs like on a test drive.

As i have owned the car for a longer time i have come to realise the cars drivability and strengths, along with its shortcomings.

I considered the car to be underpowered, due to the fact i have been up against other scoobies that have left me.

I wouldnt say the performance is "p!ss poor" in the least, but it could be better as im sure we can all relate to?
Old 15 May 2005, 06:13 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by cookstar
i speak in defence for myself here only.

i had a ctr and up untill test driving one, i had never even been in a scooby. But i wanted one, maybe more for the looks and prestige of owning one. As im sure you know you cannot truly see what a car performs like on a test drive.

As i have owned the car for a longer time i have come to realise the cars drivability and strengths, along with its shortcomings.

I considered the car to be underpowered, due to the fact i have been up against other scoobies that have left me.

I wouldnt say the performance is "p!ss poor" in the least, but it could be better as im sure we can all relate to?
I agree that, of course you only really get to know a car in the period of ownership, but acceleration and performance is something that is very evident from the off relative to a car you're very familiar with ! If it feels fast when you got it, chances are it is! Performance is something you get used to. You can't really compare your Scooby to others that may have 'left you behind' as you don't know if they've been modded- that doesn't make yours underpowered- just means that theirs are overpowered! :-) Also, the road is not a good forum for deciding who's faster.

What I find hard to believe is that anyone can come from a car that they know well, test drive another car, buy it and then describe its performance as "**** Poor"

To me, it sounds like the person is trolling!

BTW I've driven an Anniversary Golf. The Mk 5 GTi may be a desireable car, but as a driver's car, its well below par! Not a patch on a Scooby, or a Leon Cupra R for that matter! Whilst the 1.8T that powers most sporting VW group products is a technically good engine and behaves well on the road, you'll never find a more souless powerplant. Only Seat managed to get anything like character out of it!

NS04
Old 15 May 2005, 06:25 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default wrx underpowered

I would agree the basic new shaped mark two and three wrx's are underpowered being quite heavy cars, but surely you go and buy one knowing the potential that can be relatively cheaply unleashed. Full stainless decat and remap makes a very dramatic difference..More bhp than PPP for more or less identical cashola.
Old 15 May 2005, 07:25 PM
agdodds
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Matt Classic
Sorry to get off topic
r32 IMO is a much better car, but after losing my job I had to sell it, I was forced into a gti anniversary but couldnt get used to two wheel drive, I always have fancied an impreza but always love golfs would have bought another R32 but thought I would go for a impreza. The test drive wasnt all together good or bad couldnt really boot it but always believed there would be something there ready to explode when I got it home which didnt happen. Dont get me wrong I think when I am fully used to the scoob I will enjoy it in different ways to I did with my golf I have had it nearly a week now and I love to look at it on my drive (which I didnt do with my golf) I have driven a wrx on sat with a re-map and that is what I believe it should have been like in the first place different car all together more go especially in lower speeds and revs