Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

does changing a dump valve void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2005, 06:16 PM
James_TypeR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question does changing a dump valve void warranty?

Hey all

a freind is buying a new scooby impreza wrx soon, but they are wanting to know if changing standard bov to a atmospheric one... will it void their warranty, or can they change it?

Cheers
James
Old 14 May 2005, 06:27 PM
Haxzer
Scooby Regular

Yes mate it will, anything to do with engine, Exhaust etc... will void it, I am pretty sure the only thing you get away with is cosmetic upgrades... :-(

I am sure someone else can verify this.

Cheers

Haxzer
Old 14 May 2005, 06:59 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

And he will look a **** to everyone except his fellow chavs

You have to question, apart from a silly noise, why does he want one. The standard recirc valve is perfectly adequate upto much higher boost levels than standard. VTA's can damage your engine, may loose you some power and will upset the smooth running of the car. Waste of money IMHO
Old 14 May 2005, 07:50 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Well said that man! ^^^^^
Old 14 May 2005, 07:54 PM
James_TypeR
Scooby Regular

cheers for replies dudes.

im sure she wont appretiate being called a he tho but then again i never did specifiy hehe.

i do have an atmospheric one on mine, but i have a front mounted intercooler and thought it'd be better to have one? i do get the fluttering which makes it worth while hehe
Old 14 May 2005, 07:57 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

is that the fluttering that your hear on real rally cars. often wondered what that noise was.
Old 14 May 2005, 08:01 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Whilst I sort of agree with the sentiment, the relevance of your response to the question asked is questionable. If the chap wants one so be it, now if he asked about the benefits / drawbacks,.....

Originally Posted by corradoboy
And he will look a **** to everyone except his fellow chavs

You have to question, apart from a silly noise, why does he want one. The standard recirc valve is perfectly adequate upto much higher boost levels than standard. VTA's can damage your engine, may loose you some power and will upset the smooth running of the car. Waste of money IMHO
Old 14 May 2005, 08:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I must question the relevance of your post too, seeing as the original poster seems to have accepted all the comments made and seen the humorous side, whereas you have jumped up on some moral high-horse to police the miscongruous intentions of individuals hidden by the annonimity of the internet. There are bigger ills in this world than sarcasm
Old 14 May 2005, 09:25 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Nah, nothing so thought out - just a spare few minutes before the excitement of cleaning the upstairs toilet - nice reply though

Kevin
I must question the relevance of your post too, seeing as the original poster seems to have accepted all the comments made and seen the humorous side, whereas you have jumped up on some moral high-horse to police the miscongruous intentions of individuals hidden by the annonimity of the internet. There are bigger ills in this world than sarcasm
Old 14 May 2005, 10:11 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Old 15 May 2005, 01:05 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Just remove it

Sounds better
Old 15 May 2005, 02:23 AM
JSY106
Scooby Newbie

Hi guys! I'm the one asking whether it would void the warranty. If so do Subaru make an atmospheric dump valve??

P.S. I'm a girl not a guy (or a chav! )
Old 15 May 2005, 02:37 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the chavette comments I'm sarky but really quite pleasant

No, Subaru don't do VTA's. The air is recirculated for a reason, to help slow the turbo in a controlled way, rather than the sudden stop which can shatter the blades in extreme circumstances. Also, the MAF and AFR readings are used by the ECU to correctly fuel, and by dumping out the air and not telling the ECU it will inject more fuel than required by the reduced quantity of air, resulting in some being pushed through the exhaust unburt. This will contaminate the cats, and/or explode in the exhaust due to the heat causing at best some pops and bangs and at worst may damage the cats. The rest of the fuel can be pushed past the piston rings under compression, washing off the lubrication film causing bore wash and accelerating cylinder lining wear. Some of it may also make it's way to the sump where it can thin the oil, but this is not really an issue if you change it regularly.

And that's the end of tonights scary story Sleep tight kiddies
Old 15 May 2005, 10:27 AM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the chavette comments I'm sarky but really quite pleasant

No, Subaru don't do VTA's. The air is recirculated for a reason, to help slow the turbo in a controlled way, rather than the sudden stop which can shatter the blades in extreme circumstances. Also, the MAF and AFR readings are used by the ECU to correctly fuel, and by dumping out the air and not telling the ECU it will inject more fuel than required by the reduced quantity of air, resulting in some being pushed through the exhaust unburt. This will contaminate the cats, and/or explode in the exhaust due to the heat causing at best some pops and bangs and at worst may damage the cats. The rest of the fuel can be pushed past the piston rings under compression, washing off the lubrication film causing bore wash and accelerating cylinder lining wear. Some of it may also make it's way to the sump where it can thin the oil, but this is not really an issue if you change it regularly.

And that's the end of tonights scary story Sleep tight kiddies
So, you think they're a bit of a no no then... LOL - always the negative vibes...
Old 15 May 2005, 10:28 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

They are supposed to be ok if you have the car mapped for it. Then again, that would be one expensive fart valve!
Old 15 May 2005, 12:25 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
is that the fluttering that your hear on real rally cars. often wondered what that noise was.
I think thats the compressor stalling. WRC cars I believe dont tend to run dump valves.
Old 15 May 2005, 12:32 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Probably not. The fluttering you hear on real rally cars is, IIRC, often because they don't have dump valves. This means that on and off the throttle, the turbo will spin up and down and stall very quickly. The popping noise is usually anti-lag. They have the advantage of being able to change turbos every race. Running anti-lag and no dump valve isn't good for a turbo if you expect to do 1000's of miles, however.

Chris - not sure exactly how you can map for it with a standard ECU which use the MAF to measure how much air comes in - nothing measures how much is ejected via the dump valve, and how much goes through the cylinders. I can see how it might work on a MAP sensor based ECU such as the link, but that gets even more expensive.
Old 15 May 2005, 11:32 PM
JSY106
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your comments. Gutted my new baby won't sound pretty but hey rather have no noise than a broken scooby!

BTW Hello Everyone. I'm new! (If you hadn't already guessed!!)
Old 15 May 2005, 11:47 PM
mikeswrx02
Scooby Regular

Normally u will void the warranty but depends which dealer u go.
I find that subaru dealers dont really care for small mods.
I've been for few bits and bobs done under warranty and one clutch change even tho i had full decat, dump valve, induction, wheels etc.

No probs at all and excellent service.

My area within 10 miles 3 out of 4 will help without booking car in!!! I think subaru dealers beats other car dealers by far.

Say if u are going for massive warranty work ie blown engine etc, obviously take off any mods before u show them the car!!! hehhehe

Mike
Old 15 May 2005, 11:48 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brun - forge vta for 4 years
If that makes me a chav then so be it - i ain't gonna lose sleep