Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

anyone clued up on Defi installation??

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2005, 11:10 PM
jon foz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone clued up on Defi installation??

Ive picked up these defi,s today and to be honest i havnt got a clue as to where they link up to

some pics to maybe help,i dont have the control unit,is this needed for them to function properly

i think this is either the oil temp connector??

or maybe this one??

these are the gauges in question

these are the connections on the rear of the gauges,what connectors go where

i think i have this bit sussed,it looks like it takes a vacuum pipe off the plenum and converts the signal into an electrical output,but does it plug straight into the back off the gauge??

come on,lets hear what you have to say,or even better if anyone has any original installation booklets

cheers
jon

forgot to add,these are going on a subaru STI 7,and thats what they were taken off,the car was already in bits when i got to see it though

jon
Old 19 June 2005, 01:15 AM
graham72
Scooby Regular

you need the control unit to work these. the gauges daisy chain together then go straight to the control unit, without it they are useless!!!
Old 19 June 2005, 10:53 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

It might be a good idea to have a browse through www.defi-shop.com as there's the installation manuals on there

Each of the connectors only fits a certain sender unit (pressure, temp etc.) - almost idiot-proof so they can't be mixed

At a guess from the piccy of the dials, you've got EGT (exhaust gas temp), Boost and Oil Pressure. The bottom piccy is the boost pressure transducer - the rubbery pipe goes onto the inlet manifold and the other end fastens through the wiring to the control unit.

As mentioned above, each sensor connects from its measuring point back to the control unit and then a single wire goes from this unit to any of the guages, the other gauges are linked to this first gauge by shorter daisychain wires so it keeps the install neat, saves trailing loads of cable to each gauge and lets you have the trick bits like record and play from a central unit rather than all the electronics on each gauge
Old 19 June 2005, 05:41 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

I have a control unit here that will power those gauges if you're interested?