PPP for WRX, wet my appetite ....

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2005, 09:16 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool PPP for WRX, wet my appetite ....

Hello,

A nice fathers day yesterday turned out to be a wee visit to order up PPP for my MY05 wagon

Insurance (surprisingly) with NUD was no hassle and an extra £41 quid for the rest of my policy (8 months), didn't know what PPP was but quite happy to take exhaust and ECU mods.

I know searching will bring up a few results but I have a slack day at work ahead of me and want some comments from WRX PPP owners to wet my appetite for the approaching day

I used to have an MY00 wagon with a few mods and although the MY05 is a much better car all round I sometimes miss the character of the MY00 and the whugga-whugga sound ..

So come on PPP owners let me know your experience of the kit on your WRX
Old 20 June 2005, 10:35 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Picked mine up a week ago, and half way to 1000 miles so I am only in a position to comment on a car being run in.

First thing, It sounds fantastic. Second thing, I thought that for my normal journey to work the standard WRX was nothing short of crap because of being unable to pull from low revs, and all the shaking and juddering that goes with it.

The PPP makes the car infinately more driveable, and imho makes the standard WRX seem a very poor proposition indeed in comparison.

I have not abused the engine so far, as I have found that even when overtaking on country roads, 3500 revs is more than sufficient due to the massive torque.

I am just worried now that I might want a PPPd STI before too much longer, although for the extra £6/7k I would be surprised if the cost could be justified.

Last edited by jbwrx300; 20 June 2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 20 June 2005, 11:52 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

I genuinely belived that with the PPP and extra power will extra juddering come too; but I don't have PPP yet, just playing with the idea of having one
Old 20 June 2005, 12:04 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maci
I genuinely belived that with the PPP and extra power will extra juddering come too; but I don't have PPP yet, just playing with the idea of having one
I honestly worried about that too, but I can tell you that hand on heart, the car can pull from 1000 revs fairly comfortably in any gear without the juddering you get in a standard WRX.

Dont get me wrong, i'm not talking about lots of power at 1000 revs, but just enough that you don't have to drop a gear to keep up with variable motorway traffic speeds at busy times.

I honestly think the WRX is the most tiring cars I've ever driven on a busy motorway for precisely that reason. PPP sorts it out.
Old 20 June 2005, 12:07 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

What juddering are you talking about? If mine did that I'd take it back to the dealers. This was a know problem on the last of the classics, but not on the later models, AFAIK.

PPP transforms the car, a great sound, more torque/power and better fuel ecconomy. I've also upgraded the front brake pads (DS2000's) and fitted the Prodrive suspension, again both worthwhile mods, to cope with the increased performance.

Stop thinking about it, go and order PPP now!
Old 20 June 2005, 12:12 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=DJ140]What juddering are you talking about?/[QUOTE]
Sorry, didnt make myself too clear did I, I know there are other juddering issues, what I refer to is what happens when trying to accelerate from 1000-1500 revs in 4/5 gear in a standard WRX.

It is not a fault with the car, it is a fault with me cos I can't be arsed changing gear all the time when I am in traffic on a motorway. It was my only moan about an otherwise very capable car.

With PPP now I can walk to work from the car park without suffering from cramp in my left leg.
Old 20 June 2005, 12:23 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

I was about to ask what the juddering was too as it doesn't happen with mine .. I'm not a redline every gear man myself but I can't remember the last time I was in 5th at 1000-1500 revs .. man I'm sure my wife Jimny will pick up quicker than the scoob from 1000 in 4th/5th.

I think my MY05 is great but to make it better for me I need a bit more of that flat four sound (nothing too severe) and a bit of extra haul at 2.5K and above especially on motorways .. also 50 mph and upwards 5th gear acceleration which I hope the PPP sorts out.

I still don't think the standard car is slow, I found myself accelarating out from a roundabout the last day in second .. gave it some welly and couldn't believe I was already at 60 when I looked at the speedo .. no signs at all feel wise or sound wise I had pinged it round to 6.5-7K revs at all

Roll on PPP.
Avalyn.

Trending Topics

Old 20 June 2005, 12:26 PM
C8 DHC 04WRX
Scooby Regular

only £41 increase - that would equate to around £60 extra for the year! Thought it would be more than that. im with nud too - how much do you pay for insurance currently (if you don't mind me asking) may get ppp if the hike isn't going to be too great on my policy
Old 20 June 2005, 12:31 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Avalyn, out of interest who insures you, as that seems pretty good. Liv Vic now don't do mods so I'm looking to change next time around.
Old 20 June 2005, 12:42 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

I was driving an MY01 WRX the dealer lent me for a couple of weeks until mine was ready for delivery.

I haven't driven an MY05 without PPP so can't comment, however as the engine + gearbox is fundamentally the same then I would assume the MY05 will be similar to the MY01 in its characteristics.

I was not looking for blistering performance from 1000 revs, it was just that I found it a real pain to drop a gear every time I needed to slightly adjust my speed.

Anyway, back to the original post, get PPP its fookin ace.
Old 20 June 2005, 12:52 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbwrx300
I was not looking for blistering performance from 1000 revs, it was just that I found it a real pain to drop a gear every time I needed to slightly adjust my speed.
Are you, by any chance, a taxi driver??

Only time my wrx goes below about 2k is when it's ticking over...
Old 20 June 2005, 12:54 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

NUD just an extra £41, that's some result, I was with them until this month, extra £100 for the Prodrive exhaust and £150 for Eibachs, didnt bother asking them about sticking PPP on it! LOL
Old 20 June 2005, 12:58 PM
graham pritchard
Scooby Regular

Default PPP insurance

My PPP was no increase with Liv Vic
As it is available as manf approved option.
I would query it if I was you!
Old 20 June 2005, 01:30 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Avalyn
I was about to ask what the juddering was too as it doesn't happen with mine .. I'm not a redline every gear man myself but I can't remember the last time I was in 5th at 1000-1500 revs .. man I'm sure my wife Jimny will pick up quicker than the scoob from 1000 in 4th/5th.

I think my MY05 is great but to make it better for me I need a bit more of that flat four sound (nothing too severe) and a bit of extra haul at 2.5K and above especially on motorways .. also 50 mph and upwards 5th gear acceleration which I hope the PPP sorts out.

I still don't think the standard car is slow, I found myself accelarating out from a roundabout the last day in second .. gave it some welly and couldn't believe I was already at 60 when I looked at the speedo .. no signs at all feel wise or sound wise I had pinged it round to 6.5-7K revs at all

Roll on PPP.
Avalyn.
Sorry, my confusion, I only new the morning clutch related judder, so I was talking about that. Why would anybody want to go in the 4/5th at 1000 rpm ? Mine really doesn't get below 2000 and most often I run it close to the 3000 mark - since this is also economical and I have the punch if I need it. Running 1000 in the 4/5th and then accelerating I think can even damage your engine.

But anyway seems that PPP is good to go for, so I'll discuss with the Missy
Old 20 June 2005, 01:40 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'

Only time my wrx goes below about 2k is when it's ticking over...
Hour and an half on the motorway between Manchester and Leeds every morning means you have lots of time to go at 1000 RPM and contemplate those little things that really **** you off. I assume some of you are lucky to live or work nowhere near Manchester, Birmingham, London etc.

Found a new way to work on the country roads now anyway, 30 miles of pure motoring enjoyment. I dont mind changing gears on country roads, if it means I can come out of a 90 degree bend at 50 with my foot full on the loud pedal.

Last edited by jbwrx300; 20 June 2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 20 June 2005, 01:44 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

have you noticed a slight increase in your fuel costs, to get to and from work?

wow 30 miles of that would almost make me look forward to work
Old 20 June 2005, 01:49 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
have you noticed a slight increase in your fuel costs, to get to and from work?

wow 30 miles of that would almost make me look forward to work
Erm, yes just a bit!!
F cking good fun though.
Old 20 June 2005, 01:51 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

LOL at the insurance folks ..

I'm with NU direct, 33 yrs old, full no claims, 3 pts (SP30), car is on driveway and I do about 9K miles a year. Apart from PPP (soon ) car is standard.

I pay £440 a year fully comp with my wife 34 as a named driver.

Obviously NU direct had no idea what PPP was so we settled on an ECU mod and exhaust mods totalling approx. 15 % increase of power. I had them add this to my notes and call twice to confirm policy changes.

My policy runs out on 31st March so was quoted an extra £40-odd quid for the year .. result ... maybe depends who you get

I can't wait
Avalyn.
Old 20 June 2005, 02:12 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Avalyn

Welcome to the PPP world fella....

Bloody good quote on insurance as well. You did very well, given I'm paying (with L&V) about £700, leafy suburb in Surrey, full no claims, no points, car in locked garage and less mileage... something says they are worth a try but everyone is different...

Andy
Old 20 June 2005, 02:53 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

mightyid,

How are you getting on? I thought I'd manage at least 1 yr before PPP'ing but there's another flippin' wagon stays round and about us with PPP and it's forever burbling past .. just couldn't resist it

I stay in the sticks just outside of Aberdeen, pretty sure the postcode is as low as you can get for insurance. No tracker either ... !

I got my insurance through the NUD website which was offering 20% off at the time. I could get the standard car insured for under £400 through Tesco if I fitted a tracker

How do you find PPP??
Avalyn.
Old 20 June 2005, 02:59 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Hello chap

Indeed - you've bitten the bullet earlier than you though... hahahah.

PPP is great and makes a difference, although the engine was still at tight as Malcolm Glazer, but as it's loosening up now, so the PPP is better. Just shocked by the mpg - woeful. Average about 18-20 on short runs (I know i know) but it still makes me happy to get to 300 miles on a tank. Such a sad life I lead.

Going to see how it really happens as going to start driving to the F1 races now rather than flying (France, Belgium, Hockenheim etc) to have a bit more fun, and also doing the 'Ring in August on a mates stag do so we'll if if the car (and myself) survive. Then we'll see how she goes against a couple of Elises'.

PPP - well worth the investment (although expensive for what it is) to make the car better. Already thinking about what I will change it for in a couple of years but not another Scooby...
Old 20 June 2005, 04:14 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Avalyn, if it's half as good as my TEK3/full decat etc you'll be amazed at the difference. As for MPG mine has improved to ~24mpg (was 22mpg) although haven't checked it properly yet, which is amazing considering how much more power and torque is available now.

I think part of it is down to the fact that you don't need to go beyond 5k to really fly..!

As for the guy running around in 4th/5th at 1000rpm LOL he needs a diesel..!
Old 20 June 2005, 04:22 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, Tek 3 and decat improved my fuel economy too, more free flowing etc. Ah, Norwich Union. Thats a bloody good quote. They quoted me well over twice that last year. May try them again.
Old 20 June 2005, 05:16 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=jbwrx300]I honestly worried about that too, but I can tell you that hand on heart, the car can pull from 1000 revs fairly comfortably in any gear without the juddering you get in a standard WRX.

Hurrah! I'm not going mad!!!! I've had the same problem with power at low revs and being a new WRX owner felt that their may be a problem with the car. At least I know it's an inherent WRX problem and not that I've bought a 'turkey'.....not only was yesterday Father's Day but today is my Birthday too. If ever there was an excuse to spend £1600 then surely that's enough???
Old 20 June 2005, 08:51 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
As for the guy running around in 4th/5th at 1000rpm LOL he needs a diesel..!
No, I needed a car which didnt judder at 25/30mph in 4th and 5th gear, ie pretty much anything but a WRX. Now, if you suggested an auto..........

I'd be grateful to hear a way to avoid travelling at less than 30MPH on the M62 between Manchester and Leeds at 7.30 on a weekday morning.

Perhaps my driving is suspect, perhaps I should come to a standstill, wait until there is 100 yards between me and the nearest car then hammer in 1st and second weave in and out of the traffic like a trainee nova driver leaving devastation in my wake, then come on here and say how I have been driving the car how it should be driven.

Perhaps I should change my job, perhaps I should sell my house and move to outer hicksville because my car drives like a cement mixer at low speeds on the motorway.

The fact is, the standard car is absolute **** if you are in traffic at 25-30mph in 4th or 5th, it just requires to many gear changes to make any progress.

Good job that PPP has sorted it.
Old 20 June 2005, 10:00 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbwrx300
No, I needed a car which didnt judder at 25/30mph in 4th and 5th gear, ie pretty much anything but a WRX. Now, if you suggested an auto..........
...this is a wind-up surely..?

Weren't you the guy who was suprised to be beaten by a 2.0d jag when going 'flat out' and changing into top gear at 70 mph..?
Old 20 June 2005, 10:09 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
...this is a wind-up surely..?

Weren't you the guy who was suprised to be beaten by a 2.0d jag
Not guilty.
Old 21 June 2005, 12:09 PM
NRK-CTR
Scooby Newbie

Too many gear changes!? You should try driving a Civic Type R of S2000!!
Old 21 June 2005, 12:10 PM
NRK-CTR
Scooby Newbie

OOPS - Meant to say .......or S2000