ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

05 Scooby Horns....

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2005, 08:37 AM
Smeatser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Scooby Horns....

2 weeks into driving my new black WRX SL Wagon with PPP, yes awsome to look at, demonic sounding, ultimate in stealth.....AND THEN I PRESS THE HORN!!!!!!!...the car is suddenly converted into something Noddy would drive, even my wife is embarrased at the "girlyness" of it, in fact I would even let someone reverse into me than sound the horn!!
Old 21 June 2005, 09:11 AM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

It's total pants isn't it?
Last week I nearly got creamed by senile-old-Volvo-estate-man, who coming off a roundabout on my left suddenly decided to carve straight into my lane with no warning, no checking of mirrors etc!
Hit horn repeatedly pretty darn hard & all I got my efforts was a very feeble "parp, parp"!
Amazingly, he actually heard this & pulled back in, waving apologetically but I actually felt quite embarrassed by the pathetic noise it made & have made a mental note to try never using it again!
Old 21 June 2005, 08:33 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Years ago, you could get these nice musical horns and all the boy racers of the day would go around streets playin' their tunes.

I expect Tony and his cronies (or the EU) have outlawed it in line with the massive increase since 1997 of speedhumps, scameras, stupidly small mini-roundabouts and unnecessary and frankly dangerous road obstructions posing as safety features.

Seriously, I'd like a horn that sounds like one of those big American trucks or railroad trains. At least something big and meaty sounding.

How would you replace the horn? Can you (legally)? Where can you get better ones from?
Old 21 June 2005, 08:48 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

My first mod 2nd day after getting car for exactly same embarassing situation. Halfords do a Ring electric air horn (high tone is best) £9.99.

It fits on OEM horn bracket, just about clearing the rad (one nearest centre of car as believe it or not there are two of them..!). I removed horn nearest n/s headlight but you could leave it connected.

Much better than the FEEBLE oem horns..!
Old 21 June 2005, 08:51 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Goodoh, was looking for a new horn. Was going to go down to a Chandlery and get a nice big pair of twin boat horns.
Old 21 June 2005, 09:38 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Can't remember who, but someone here said "roadrunner" in a previous similar post, and I still smile about that every time I bash my horn! (oo-er )

meep meep!
Old 21 June 2005, 10:11 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

Indeed the horn is crap, I finiding it hard to resist my childish temptation for dukes of hazzard horns.... o O (must think extra weight.... people will laugh at you you old fool)

http://www.top-gear.net/product.asp?...194&deptid=148
Old 22 June 2005, 09:21 AM
Scooby-Monster
Scooby Regular

I thought all Jap cars had polite horns
Old 22 June 2005, 01:19 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

speaking of horns i've got a video of somone who has stuck on an airhorn trumpet onto their dump valve.

now that does sound strange
Old 22 June 2005, 01:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Scooby-Monster
I thought all Jap cars had polite horns
I think they do, it's a cultural thing. When the japansese use their horns it's a polite reminder that they're there, kind of like saying:

"Excuse me most honourable stranger, but would you be so kind as to move your car out of my intended path"

UK buyers, however, want our horns to say:

"OI F*CKFACE, DID YOU NOT SEE ME IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR YOU COMPLETE AND UTTER TW*T. GET YOUR PIECE OF SH*T OUTTA THE WAY BEFORE I TEAR YOU A NEW A......"

Or is that just me?

Now I'm late for my anger management classes!

NS04
Old 22 June 2005, 02:47 PM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Think that about sums it up...

In reality I'm quite relaxed/nothing phases me out type person. Get me behind the wheel of the Scoob and it's a case of "why the !"£@ are you going 50 in the fast lane", "get out of my way", "come on"... Anyone else like that?
Old 22 June 2005, 02:54 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

PMSL

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I think they do, it's a cultural thing. When the japansese use their horns it's a polite reminder that they're there, kind of like saying:

"Excuse me most honourable stranger, but would you be so kind as to move your car out of my intended path"

UK buyers, however, want our horns to say:

"OI F*CKFACE, DID YOU NOT SEE ME IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR YOU COMPLETE AND UTTER TW*T. GET YOUR PIECE OF SH*T OUTTA THE WAY BEFORE I TEAR YOU A NEW A......"

Or is that just me?

Now I'm late for my anger management classes!

NS04
Old 22 June 2005, 03:49 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jasonius
Halfords do a Ring electric air horn (high tone is best) £9.99.

Did that to my scoob and my Accord Type-R
Old 23 June 2005, 10:41 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

My first mod 2nd day after getting car for exactly same embarassing situation. Halfords do a Ring electric air horn (high tone is best) £9.99.

It fits on OEM horn bracket, just about clearing the rad (one nearest centre of car as believe it or not there are two of them..!). I removed horn nearest n/s headlight but you could leave it connected.

What is the procedure for taking off the standard one? and putting on the Halfords one?

Are there any electrical precautions to consider - such as taking leads off battery?

What type of tools needed - hopefully not solder iron? Step by step instructions for the non-mechanic?

Thanks if you can. Paul

PS - Mine's a bugeye WRX.
Old 23 June 2005, 11:09 PM
joeggbert
Scooby Newbie

Red face

The stebel one is THE ****** think uts 139 db at 4 inch and totally legal (pretty small to)!
Old 24 June 2005, 11:47 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmarch
What is the procedure for taking off the standard one? and putting on the Halfords one?

Are there any electrical precautions to consider - such as taking leads off battery?

What type of tools needed - hopefully not solder iron? Step by step instructions for the non-mechanic?

Thanks if you can. Paul

PS - Mine's a bugeye WRX.
Really easy, connector will fit straight onto new horn (ring/halfords one anyhow).

The only thing to bear in mind is the limited space infront of the radiator (and care not to damage the soft rad fins- very easy to do..!). I used the new bracket supplied with horn and bent it a bit to allow clearence. Again, easy one 12mm bolt. Position the new horn in place of the centre horn (there should be another near (n/s) headlight.) as there is slightly more room. I actually removed n/s horn and taped up connector, although you could leave it in place. 10-20 mins max. Getting the right bend on bracket is the only thing to check..!

BTW you will need to remove front grille. Very easy should be in your handbook how to. If not let us know and I'll tell you about the 5 (?) clips.
Old 24 June 2005, 08:23 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

I have a Datsun Cherry horn on my Scoob, it's terrible
Old 24 June 2005, 08:27 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Really easy, connector will fit straight onto new horn (ring/halfords one anyhow).

The only thing to bear in mind is the limited space infront of the radiator (and care not to damage the soft rad fins- very easy to do..!). I used the new bracket supplied with horn and bent it a bit to allow clearence. Again, easy one 12mm bolt. Position the new horn in place of the centre horn (there should be another near (n/s) headlight.) as there is slightly more room. I actually removed n/s horn and taped up connector, although you could leave it in place. 10-20 mins max. Getting the right bend on bracket is the only thing to check..!

BTW you will need to remove front grille. Very easy should be in your handbook how to. If not let us know and I'll tell you about the 5 (?) clips.
thanks Jasonius. I will have alook under bonnet first, but may well give it a try.
Old 24 June 2005, 09:17 PM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pnbond007
I have a Datsun Cherry horn on my Scoob, it's terrible
OK then!!!
Why???
Old 24 June 2005, 11:16 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember a thread a while back about swapping the Impreza horn for the Legacy one. Does this still work? Or does that make a peep rather than a HONK !!!!!