ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Incorrectly fitted brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2005, 10:51 AM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incorrectly fitted brake pads

My recently purchased '01 WRX went in for its 30k service yesterday at Subaru in Cardiff. The car's only done 26k miles but being 4 years old I decided to get it done 4k miles early to try and resolve a slight power surge problem at low revs (which it did - in fact the whole car feels better).

However during the morning I received the dreaded phone call "Is that Mr Gillingham.......this is Sue from Subaru"!!!!

It turned out that the last time the pads were fitted they put 4 inner pads on the two front discs, which has caused 'scoring' on the discs and uneven wearing on the pads. The result was a total bill of £862 (inc a new fog lamp and covers) for the service, 2 discs and pads!!!!!!!!!

The previous pads were put on buy Subaru in Shrewsbury when it had it's 20k service (at 17k miles) last year.

Does anyone have any experience of trying to recover money from Subaru for this type of thing - do you think that I have any comeback on Subaru???

(apologies for the 'war & peace' post)
Old 26 June 2005, 11:23 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

???
OEM Inner pads are only different from outer pads in that they have metal tags that squeal when the pads are worn down. Other than that they are the same.
26K for std discs is good going but 9k for the 2nd set of pads is a bit low.
If the discs were wearing badly at 17k then perhaps Shrewsbury should have changed them then.
I'd also get the caliper pistons checked to make sure they aren't sticking.
I can't really see any problem here TBH.

Nick
Old 26 June 2005, 11:34 AM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

The metal tags were the problem, they were scoring the outside of the discs. Shrewsbury changed the 1st set of pads at 17k and the car has done 9k since, during which time the Shrewsbury pads have wrecked the discs.

Subaru in Cardiff have given me a written report stating that the last set of pads fitted (Subaru originals) were all inner pads and resulted in scored discs.

They also said they couldn't undestand why Shrewsbury would've fitted all inner pads because each box of new pads always contains 1 inner and 1 outer. Therefore they would either have had to a) use 4 boxes of pads b) cobbled together 4 pads from 'spares' or c) the boxes delivered to them contained all inner pads and the fitter didn't know the difference.
Old 26 June 2005, 11:37 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

As above, the metal tags only touch the disc when the pad material is low. The tags will touch the disc in the same way whether they're fitted as inner pads or outer pads. Sounds like BS to me.
Old 26 June 2005, 11:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

From a metallurgist's point of view: I'd like to see how a 0.75mm thick soft mild steel metal tag can score a much harder cast iron disc.

I smell something here. Unless the words and technicalities in the message has become mixed up on its journey to you via the mechanic, supervisor, service manager, and receptionist
Old 26 June 2005, 11:46 AM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

The only thing is that I noticed a sqealing noise that started about a month ago and went away when the brake pedal was pressed. They also showed me the discs and pads and I could see the grooves on the discs and the unevenly worn pads so I'm pretty confident that they aren't BS'ing me.

I intend to write to Subaru Shrewsbury to see what they say but I'm expecting the brush off - unless anyone knows that Subaru customer service is good?
Old 26 June 2005, 09:10 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

As has been posted before, Subaru seem pretty good at replacing brakes under warranty. Bearing in mind an official dealer has caused this **** up, I wouldn't expect to pay a dime for replacements.
Old 26 June 2005, 10:11 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

there is no **** up by the sounds of it the pads can go in either way i fit them with the metal squeal shim on the in side as to give an indication if the inner wears faster just in case as you can see the outer through the wheel but they can go either way.
it sounds more like the pads have got tight in the caliper either to a seized caliper or a build up of rust and dirt would have caused the premature wear and the fact that you drove for a month with the brakes making funny noises where as if you went in when it started you may have saved the discs, i wouldn't expect to get anything out of subaru myself.