Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Further developments, dealer/part ex.

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2005, 11:02 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Further developments, dealer/part ex.

For any of you who remember, a situation cropped up for me a couple of weeks ago, where a dealer tried to put some pressure on me after he found a serious fault on a part exchange vehicle after I had picked up my new car.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=stilo

We have spoken this morning now that the repairs have been done and he wants me to put some towards a £500 bill.

He mentioned to start with that he couldn't be bothered with legal action, but saying "I did you a favour". "I took it blind", "I took it in good faith" which I believe actually meant "I know I havent got a leg to stand on" but I am going to try to put some more pressure on you to pay. When I refused to pay the threat of legal action became more strong.

Incidentally, I may have misunderstood, but I a veiled threat about repairing and servicing the vehicle was mentioned during this conversation, which is a concern I raised in my first post.

Any comments/similar experiences?

I know there is a good chance he reads this forum, and honestly, there is nothing personal in my refusal to pay, but I am not prepared to pay for someone elses mistake.
Old 27 June 2005, 11:16 AM
Nich B
Scooby Regular

Sounds like he made a mistake and wants you to pay.

No friends in business.
Old 27 June 2005, 11:26 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

TBH, if you knew the car had a fault thats a little below the belt - dealer or not. If you genuinely didn't know then you really shouldn't be expected to pay and the dealer should have made sure all was OK before doing the deal.

As for servicing, theres no way I'd take your current car back there. Quite possible they could do something to cause failure to your car. Hard to prove and most dealers who handle complaints about blow ups just after service will say its was your fault.

Wouldn't risk it. Also, if you think about it, if you've lost warranty/serivce deal with this dealership it may cost you more than the £500 it cost to fix the stilo.
Old 27 June 2005, 11:30 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

You already have contributed to the cost of repair. When you traded in your car, he will have made money from you. When you bought your new car, he would have made money of you.
Stick to your guns, and tell him no, and inform him that you look forward to your day in court, if he wants to take it there.

Also, you could ask him, if there's anything else he'd like you to pay for? His holiday perhaps, his new kitchen, or maybe a nice new conservatory? Ask if he'd like you to go round and **** his wife while your at it............ or his daughter.
Old 27 June 2005, 11:37 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious; why don't you take legal advise from your local CAB if you believe your position to be strong, ie that you part exchanged the car in absolute good faith with no reason to believe there were any problems with the car when you entered the deal?

If the above is correct then I can't see what the problem is. Any issues arising after the deal was closed has to be down to the dealer as if there was a problem with the car at the time of inspection (I assume an inspection took place, else the dealer is in effect saying he is happy to accept the car in the condition you gave it to him, no matter what that condition is/was).

The CAB is the way to go. I would be very, very careful about offering any money or agreeing to offer money here without taking legal advise. You could be leaving yourself wide open and, in effect admitting liability in a situation where you may not have to because you have no liability.

Hope this helps.

WB
Old 27 June 2005, 11:38 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover

Also, you could ask him, if there's anything else he'd like you to pay for? His holiday perhaps, his new kitchen, or maybe a nice new conservatory? Ask if he'd like you to go round and **** his wife while your at it............ or his daughter.
LOL..... quality post.

Seriously, had no idea of the steering fault as I hadn't used the car for the best part of a year. He knew when the car was last serviced, and thus was (or certainly should have been ) fully aware of the potential warranty issue.

I do like the bloke, he has bent over backwards for me to be fair, and traded both my px vehicles on rather than sold them himself for profit. However I am sure he will be able to recoup the loss from someone else by not offering any discount, and thus I am not feeling in the least bit guilty that he may be out of pocket on this deal.
Old 27 June 2005, 12:09 PM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

i did you a favour and took it blind, roughly translated means, i didn't do my job properly, i took a risk that didn't work out and now the boss is slightly miffed with me.

it would be doing you a favour if he took it blind and he knew there was a fault, thats doing you a favour.

stevie

Trending Topics

Old 27 June 2005, 12:37 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie boy
i did you a favour and took it blind, roughly translated means, i didn't do my job properly, i took a risk that didn't work out and now the boss is slightly miffed with me.
Stevie, you wouldn't believe it but the guy who did this is the boss!

The issue has arisen because he went on holiday for 2 weeks and his minions didnt get the car into the fiat dealers like he told them to, before they handed the new car over to me.
Old 27 June 2005, 12:42 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie boy
Stevie, you wouldn't believe it but the guy who did this is the boss!

The issue has arisen because he went on holiday for 2 weeks and his minions didnt get the car into the fiat dealers like he told them to, before they handed the new car over to me.

------

In response to EddScott, Its a fair point you make, and I think this may be the dealer's perception which to be honest in their shoes I would be thinking as well.

However I wasn't trying to pull a fast one, as I was supposed to pick the new car up the day my mum died and phoned the day before asking to delay delivery for a week because of this. If I had been trying to pull a swift one, i'd have been on their back asking for early delivery.
Old 27 June 2005, 12:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You pay ANYTHING and its an admission of guilt ......

Do NOTHING ........

Sadly, you can expect a cold shoulder when you want them and all of a sudden 'things' will need fixing on your car come service time .... they'll try and get their money back

Pete