7 days and counting

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2005, 08:38 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 days and counting

7 days until I pick up my new age WRX.

I'm a scoob virgin but have wanted to pop my cherry since '95, had to wait a long time!
Trading in my beloved Z3 (3.0l) which after a fettle pushes out about 260bhp and rwd, so the 4wd will feel a bit different to start off with, but perhaps a little more predictable in the wet.

I have been browsing the board since last week looking for info etc, excellent board and loads of information.

As a note, is there anyone here who lives in the Basingstoke area?
Old 27 June 2005, 08:46 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I have a feeling your 260bhp Z3 will be a quicker car than your WRX

Oh and yes there are a good few around, im from Andover

Gary
Old 27 June 2005, 11:39 PM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
Trading in my beloved Z3 (3.0l) which after a fettle pushes out about 260bhp and rwd, so the 4wd will feel a bit different to start off with, but perhaps a little more predictable in the wet.
You're right, it WILL feel different & it DOES take a bit of getting used to if you're used to RWD cars, you feel a bit disorientated to start with, can't quite make up your mind where the shove is coming from!
I love RWD but I don't love those pesky tail-wagging right turns in the wet in heavy traffic where you only have a small window of opportunity to get out & have learnt most of the dodgiest ones where I live!
Have only managed to mildly twitch the scoob once or twice on the very worst of roads!
Had an RX8 before the STi & that could be quite tail-happy sometimes & even my little MX5 has managed to scare the local car-driving population on occasions with its efforts at pretending it's something much fiercer!
In the wet generally I never had a problem but have never driven a Z3 so don't know how predictable they are in the wet as a rule?
It DID take a bit of getting used to initially but I can't imagine having anything else now & if I'm guilty of anything, it's of putting TOO MUCH faith in the scoob wet or dry, as aside from the RX8, I would say it's the most predictable & confidence-inducing car I've ever had!
Hope the week passes quickly for you!
Old 28 June 2005, 07:25 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I have a feeling your 260bhp Z3 will be a quicker car than your WRX

Oh and yes there are a good few around, im from Andover

Gary
mmmm, hence the reason it is booked in for a re-map the day after I get it.

Your car looks quick, if I see you in Andover, I will wave you past
Old 28 June 2005, 09:14 PM
Dr Who
Scooby Regular

Hate to spoil the party, but your new age WRX won't new age much longer, check out www.subaru.co.jp/index.html

Facelifted Impreza revealed in Japan, be here around October so I have been informed, explains why Subaru Uk have been giving PPP's away F.O.C to get rid of the old stock.

Hope you enjoy your WRX still a stonking motor.
Old 29 June 2005, 10:33 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
I just binned my 3.0 Z4 in favour of a wrx ppp, and I can promise you that no Z convertible is going to be better handling or quicker than a scoob with PPP.

I got rid of the Z4 for a number of reasons, one of which was that my new daily journey to/from work would have led to killer depreciation on the mileage front. I drive the same roads as I used to in the Z4 and have to day that the suspension, power and overall setup is far better for hammering down country roads than the Z4.

Only last night I got to and maintained 90 on a very bumpy, uneven cambered road. The BM would have probably tipped me upside down or into a ditch within a few yards as the back end would have got twitchy on slight bends. Firstly I would not have had the confidence to get it to 90 in the z, and secondly, when the bumps and cambers started, I would definately not have had the confidence to keep it at 90.

They are both great cars in their own right, and it was with much trepidation I handed over the keys to the z, however I have not had a moment's regret since - and that includes when it is sunny.

Enjoy
Old 29 June 2005, 12:02 PM
Tall Paul
Scooby Regular

I used to own a Mundane-O until the timing belt snapped! So thought I would bite the bullet and get my first scooby, pick it up this afternoon!

Looking forward to having a car that actually does something when you put your foot down and not just moan!