ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Petition against proposed road-tax changes

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2005, 08:46 PM
m3matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petition against proposed road-tax changes

Sign this petition against the proposed new road-tax system and pass it on...

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/roadtax/
Old 04 July 2005, 09:09 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

personally,it will benefit me greatly,so no thanks,i will let the company worry about such charge's and keep the scooby for "weekend rural use"
Old 04 July 2005, 09:12 PM
m3matt
Scooby Regular

So you're telling me you won't mind the government filling your car with GPS equipment 'just for road tax, gov'? (what next though?)

Well, I don't want the scumbags knowing where I am whenever I go somewhere, it's almost as bad as the ID card crap...
Old 04 July 2005, 09:13 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ethanrob
personally,it will benefit me greatly,so no thanks,i will let the company worry about such charge's and keep the scooby for "weekend rural use"
what a silly thing to say , i for one don't wnat big brother watching me every time i get in the car to go somewhere !!
Old 04 July 2005, 09:18 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

dont care,
as long as its not used for monitoring speed,like some sort of big brother gadget,where as if you go to make a "safe" overtaking,and the gps kicks in to curb your speed, leaving you two abreast on the wrong side of the road

basically buddy,i live in a very rural area,and rarely use motorway's in my own car,my route to work is totally country lanes and at 4.30 am,so i believe i personally would save a small fortune per annum,but obviously,it is going to increase other's running cost's,so it's all down to personal reason's,i read somewhere they have increased the congestion charge in london to £8,is this true?
Old 04 July 2005, 09:34 PM
m3matt
Scooby Regular

It will be used for other stuff though, just like the ID cards. In the case of ID cards, they claim they'll 'stop terrorism', or stop illegal immigration or stop whatever pops into their puny little brains when asked the question 'why?'. People can't see further than their nose sometimes...

ID cards have been around for years in, lets see, Spain and it didn't stop their terrorist attack did it?

If the road-tax thing goes ahead it is opening the door to whatever else they can think of. Hmm, lets see, these speed camera things are rather expensive to run aren't they but, hey, if everyone has GPS equipment in their car, we can automatically catch _everyone_ who speeds. Or, I know, what about if we link the GPS equipment together with how much fuel they use, we can tax them more then! ad infinitum...

Yes, they have increased the congestion charge in London. The thing is, if you've got no choice but to be in London you'll just swallow the charge and pay it, that is what they depend on.

It is all bad bad stuff if you ask me... It's ALL about CONTROL of YOU !

Last edited by m3matt; 04 July 2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04 July 2005, 10:41 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

Have signed - a preposterous idea and fingers crossed it'll never get off the ground.

Ben

Trending Topics

Old 04 July 2005, 10:45 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it can be used for monitoring speed very easily also do you think the petrol stations will chop 72p off a litre no... and by the way company car tax laws are going to change in rlation to this but you didn't here it from me...
Old 04 July 2005, 10:48 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about just a petition against the government full stop!
Old 04 July 2005, 10:50 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Well I signed it... how much longer do we have to be robbed? It's always the easy money grabbing way hitting those that are easy targets.
Old 04 July 2005, 10:54 PM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

1984: I wish. No not a joke - it's already here. What happened to personal freedom and liberty?

The implications are huge.

We are a small island with too many cars and too many people. The math is easy. Getting people to read what's on the bottom line is the hard part.

I travel 54 mile to/from work everyday - but because of the prohibitive cost of public transport (and unreliability and time issues) the car wins every time. Give me average public transport and I'll use it.
Old 04 July 2005, 10:58 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

LOL - I like this quote
already pay 40% income tax, now you want to charge me for driving to work? should have been an illegal immigrant single gay disabled pregnant teenager!!
Old 04 July 2005, 11:01 PM
willfal
Scooby Regular

It’s a £1 litre where I live (very north of Scotland) so it will save me an absolute fortune. I do about 70 miles in the Scooby each week. I live less than 2 miles from work and it takes me all of 5 mins to get there.

Must say though I’m not convinced that it wont be used for more sinister things....

Will
Old 04 July 2005, 11:07 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Yeah.. I pay 92p a litre in Poole, so where will that leave me? Decidedly worse of I think.
Old 05 July 2005, 07:45 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

This issue has already been covered in some detail: http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=433952

Signing the petition certainly won't do any harm - I have - but if you really care about the issue, please take a few minutes to write to your MP about it. I have already produced a sample letter of which I'm happy to send out copies, please see the other thread for details. I had a great response when the thread first appeared, and the offer is still open - just PM me your email address.

All it takes is a few minutes to print it out, sign it and stick it in a post box. Enough people exist who will write in to support the measures - the same ones who demand speed cameras, road humps, bus lanes and so on. Please don't let your MP see such a one-sided argument.
Old 05 July 2005, 08:03 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Now to me, this just doesnt add up.

I drive from Manchester to Bradford every day, around 35 miles journey. Usually, as I travel early doors I go on the M62 at 6.30 when it is fairly steady driving all the way. That takes me 50 minutes. This would cost me £35 based on lets say £1/mile as this is one of the busiest stretches of m/way in the country = £35/day. Even at 50ppm that is still £17.50 each way.

However on my way home, I have found that due to the motorway being busy in the evening, I can come home via a lovely drive over the pennines, open the car up to its potential and really enjoy the trip home. This takes me around 1hr and is only 30 miles. This would cost me 60p under the proposed scheme, or £1.20 if I used this route on both trips.

Public transport on the same journey takes in the region of 2hrs 30 minutes and costs a tenner.

So, driving country roads costs £1.20 and takes 10 mins longer than.....
motorway which would cost me £35 one way......
Train costs about a tenner

So tell me, where would the congestion be within a matter of weeks once people had cottoned on.

Or should I say, what would be the charge for using this route once the govt had cottoned on - they will be charging us for congestion which is of their making!!!
Old 05 July 2005, 06:47 PM
wrx.co.uk
Scooby Regular

signed!
Old 05 July 2005, 09:31 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

signed!

mb
Old 05 July 2005, 09:44 PM
scoobydoo one
Scooby Regular

i've done my bit the bast@rds
Old 05 July 2005, 10:00 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure how this will work out, if it ever does. Public transport can no way take care of our needs. Mind you I got the train to London the other day instead of driving, actally quite relaxing. No parking worries or congestion charge.

However, lets face it fossil fuels ain't going to be around forever and we already pay way over the odds for our optimax. The Yanks complain like mad about the cost of their fuel and they are paying less than half what we do. It would be a great boon to the rest of the world if they had to pay more and perhaps started to drive more sensible cars or perhaps got their fat asses out of their cars and walked sometimes.

Anyway I am a hypocrite cos I've got a scoob, but I do recycle - honest. So I don't want to try to attempt to appear over green. I want my kicks now before everything gets banned. Nevertheless, I see driving as a fantastic freedom and privilege and the sooner subaru come up with a 300bhp hydrogen fuel cell impreza with nothing but evian dripping out the zorst the better.