ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

267.1bhp

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2005, 06:29 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 267.1bhp

Just got back from Surrey Rolling Road this evening where my car made 267.1bhp at the fly and 250 ftlb of torque.

Car is an MY03 Sti with a vortex angled back box, decat centre, decat front section and JR panel filter.
Next i'll be decatting the downpipe and getting a remap

The main reason I took it to a rolling road was to make sure it wasn't running too lean with the current decat before the rest is done. Turns out that when on boost the AFR goes below the readable limit of the dyno which is 10:1. No wonder the bugger uses so much fuel ;p

Anyway at least there is plenty of tuning potential.

Would also like to say what a nice chap the guy at Surrey Rolling Road is. Very knowledgable and helpful. He took lots of care over the car and was quite quick. Would recommend this place to anyone.
Old 13 July 2005, 06:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not the leaning out you need to worry about, its the boost spikes on STi's decat aint a good idea unless you have them remapped, though saying that, subaru quote 262bhp for a type uk, even on a warm day, your figures are only just above average

Tony
Old 13 July 2005, 07:05 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

Yea i know but after speaking to the guys at Surrey rolling road most of the STI 8s he has run in standard form have made nowhere near 262bhp. He said he has had some run as little as 240 odd i think so he was quite pleased the figure mine came out with.
Also i know about the boost spikes but i still have the downpipe cat in so it is still fairly restricted at the moment. i won't go full decat till i have the money for an uprated fuel pump and a remap at the same time.
Old 13 July 2005, 07:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Ah, its just you said you had a decat front and center section, front is normally the downpipe, just one cat standard on these cars, more on the wrx's

Tony
Old 13 July 2005, 07:17 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

Sorry yea the MY03 Stis have 3 cats: rear centre, front centre and downpipe
Old 13 July 2005, 07:21 PM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

hi m8

i went on a RR a few weeks with my standard 04 STi
and got 265.7 bhp 264 lbs torque, i know RR are all different, but
i was thinking about doing mods but i'm not so sure now
Originally Posted by aaronhowe
Just got back from Surrey Rolling Road this evening where my car made 267.1bhp at the fly and 250 ftlb of torque.

Car is an MY03 Sti with a vortex angled back box, decat centre, decat front section and JR panel filter.

The main reason I took it to a rolling road was to make sure it wasn't running too lean with the current decat before the rest is done. Turns out that when on boost the AFR goes below the readable limit of the dyno which is 10:1. No wonder the bugger uses so much fuel ;p

Would also like to say what a nice chap the guy at Surrey Rolling Road is. Very knowledgable and helpful. He took lots of care over the car and was quite quick. Would recommend this place to anyone.
Old 13 July 2005, 07:42 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

Why are you not sure if you want to mod now?

Thats a good figure Wr1. The reason i am so pleased with mine is that the inlet temps this evening were 36c so pretty hot. I would imagine that the result would have been more like just over 270 if the temps where a lower.
Old 13 July 2005, 09:45 PM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

There was a STiPPP tha only reached 282 so basically is it worth it 2grand for the PPP or other packages which cost more or less the same which they wont guarantee it'll produce, cause no 2 cars are the same, also temp have got to be cool to get a good reading, but it was 24c when we did our RR so it was 12c cooler than yours, plus theres the warranty to consider which is why i was cosidering PPP but it is'nt worth it, but i've been informed that the PPP ecu is designed to shut the power down after a certain temp.
so still undecided?...
Why are you not sure if you want to mod now?

Thats a good figure Wr1. The reason i am so pleased with mine is that the inlet temps this evening were 36c so pretty hot. I would imagine that the result would have been more like just over 270 if the temps where a lower.
Old 13 July 2005, 09:59 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

I see your reasoning. I was looking at PPP when i got the scoob as i still have warrenty on mine but then most of the ppped scoobs never make anything like 300 horses. I'm definatley going for the custom tuning route. All i need to get a a reliable 320-330bhp now is an uprated fuel pump, decat downpipe and remap. Works out much cheaper than ppp and you have a dyno proven figure at the end of it as long as you don't mind losing the warrenty.
Old 13 July 2005, 10:14 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

just to clarify, there arent two cats in the center on your car. The second box is just a resonator.
Old 13 July 2005, 10:14 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

oh and it looks like the surrey RR has been recalibrated since i was there then

an STI PPP made 258 then
Old 13 July 2005, 10:32 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
just to clarify, there arent two cats in the center on your car. The second box is just a resonator.
Oh right i thought it had three. I stand corrected.
Old 13 July 2005, 10:53 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

if it does have 3 (and i honestly cant remember but htink it does) then the 3rd one is in the up pipe before the turbo.
Old 13 July 2005, 11:16 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

The Sti doesn't have a cat in the uppipe only the wrx has that. People quite often put Sti up pipes on wrx's.
Old 13 July 2005, 11:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

PPP'd cars have a built in safety margin, if the engine gets too hot, it reduces power, a normal STi doesnt have this, so if you see a PPP'd STi pushing only 280bhp and your normal one pushing 260, its not that its acutally pushing 280bhp, its just retarding the timing for safety, on the road it could be pushing over 300bhp.

Tony
Old 14 July 2005, 12:10 AM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

Cool. Clever stuff that
Old 14 July 2005, 08:13 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I see your reasoning. I was looking at PPP when i got the scoob as i still have warrenty on mine but then most of the ppped scoobs never make anything like 300 horses. I'm definatley going for the custom tuning route. All i need to get a a reliable 320-330bhp now is an uprated fuel pump, decat downpipe and remap. Works out much cheaper than ppp and you have a dyno proven figure at the end of it as long as you don't mind losing the warrenty.

Im not sure you can get 320-330bhp for ''much'' cheap than ppp, but it can be done cheaper your right.
Give TSL a call or one of the other reputably mappers out there and they will help you.

Gary ......... 329bhp MY03 STi owner.
Old 14 July 2005, 09:14 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea i know but after speaking to the guys at Surrey rolling road most of the STI 8s he has run in standard form have made nowhere near 262bhp. He said he has had some run as little as 240 odd i think so he was quite pleased the figure mine came out with.
Never heard that before...makes me even more pleased with mine then!!!

MY03 STi TypeUK - 276.1BHP (only mod is Blitz Backbox - still got all Cats!)

MY03 STi TypeUK + PPP - 290.0BHP (ran one before mine)

Most other cars running that day were either about what was expected or slightly UNDER so calibration didn't seem to be a problem.
Old 14 July 2005, 11:40 AM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

Suppose even a rolling road figure is only as good as the calibration. Anyway the main reason i ran mine was to check AFR which is not a calibration on any rolling roads so i know thats accurate and also very wrong on my car :lol
Old 14 July 2005, 11:53 PM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

I rang TSL on a few occasions talked to Gavin the last was a couple of weeks ago when i asked about the chargecooler, seemed impressive, asked for a price for 333+chargecooler, i'll get back to you, rang a few days later to i'll get him to give you a call, still hav'nt heard from them,
perhaps they forgot!!!!
Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Im not sure you can get 320-330bhp for ''much'' cheap than ppp, but it can be done cheaper your right.
Give TSL a call or one of the other reputably mappers out there and they will help you.

Gary ......... 329bhp MY03 STi owner.
Old 16 July 2005, 12:48 AM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

I had my WRX03 on the RR and manage 265.9bhp / 265ftlb with just a green panel filter and Ninja backbox. I was well chuffed.
Old 16 July 2005, 03:54 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peak figures are meaningless in isolation.

They do not convey response and driveability throughout the entire rev range...... this is the important part.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 16 July 2005, 09:16 AM
sherlock
Scooby Regular

Took My STI 02 to the RR it reached 282bhp @6500 rpm before a re map and 312.9bhp @ 6500rpm after running prodrive exhaust system walbro fuel pump. I was well chuffed with the before figures and even bigger smile after.

Sherlock

Last edited by sherlock; 16 July 2005 at 09:26 AM.