ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Power module - Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2005, 10:58 AM
W_E_S_T_Y
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power module - Ebay

I found this on Ebay, anyone used one?. Is it real? Are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...986684831&rd=1

Sounds too good to be true!!!
Old 15 July 2005, 11:04 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Please tell me you are kidding?

Would you really even consider fitting that to your car???
Old 15 July 2005, 11:08 AM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by W_E_S_T_Y
I found this on Ebay, anyone used one?. Is it real? Are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...986684831&rd=1

Sounds too good to be true!!!

Oh yes, i would jump at that asap. I mean what better way to completely ***** up your scooby then put some device that fools your engine into thinking its a F1 superbeast!,

anyone notice the Sarcasm?

:P
Old 15 July 2005, 11:11 AM
W_E_S_T_Y
Scooby Newbie

I take it you wouldn't recommend one then?

;-)
Old 15 July 2005, 11:17 AM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

its a resistor in a box which will advance your timing and will cause det

engine go Boom
Old 15 July 2005, 11:21 AM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

Or even Badda Boom

Originally Posted by STI Craig
its a resistor in a box which will advance your timing and will cause det

engine go Boom
Old 15 July 2005, 12:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Does anyone think a 12 BHP increase on a car with 280bhp will really be noticeable? thats around 3.5% increase - Wooppefeckingdo!

You would be better of polishing your car so it slips through the air a bit easier!
Old 15 July 2005, 12:50 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Ignoring the instinctive "if it seems to good to be true then it probably is" reaction, think about it a bit. This particular mod is not just snake oil, pseudo science, mumbo jumbo like fuel cats and the like there is some justification.

As standard your engine is set up by Subaru to meet all sorts of bull**** economy and emissions regs. It's running a fiar bit leaner than you would tune it if you gave it to a reputable tuner and asked to have it tuned for maximum attack and hang the consequences on fuel economy and emissions. So anything that adds a little more fuel is probably going to give you a bit more power. I guess a PPP remap does just that too (amongst a lot of other things).

What does this box do? It sits between the air temp sensor and the ECU and adjusts the sensor output via a 2p resistor to fool the ECU into thinking the air temp is a little colder than it really is. The ECU uses it's air temp compensation map (based on Boyles (or was it Charles'?) law) to say cold air is denser so more goes in per suck so add more fuel to compensate.

So in some specific circumstances this box may do the same as a one part of a PPP or personal remap for £15 instead of £700. Bad news is that you have to trust it's been done right, too much fuel and you have bore wash and ring damage. You also don't get the other tuning bits like ignition remapping and all the boost and fuel cut safeguards that come with PPP or a remap.

Guess it depends on how brave you are..... Personally I wouldn't risk it.
Old 15 July 2005, 01:04 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

ITS ON EBAY FOR £2.99 ! that should tell you pretty much all you need to know !

You can probably get the same overall effect of 3.5% extra boost by eating less pies, taking all the crap out of the boot and not taking any passengers.
Old 15 July 2005, 01:15 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
ITS ON EBAY FOR £2.99 ! that should tell you pretty much all you need to know !

You can probably get the same overall effect of 3.5% extra boost by eating less pies, taking all the crap out of the boot and not taking any passengers.
coould aso have a poo before driving that will save weight
Old 15 July 2005, 02:18 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its no wonder scoob engine failures are so frequent. stay away from it mate and save the money for some turtle wax.
Old 15 July 2005, 02:35 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Ignoring the instinctive "if it seems to good to be true then it probably is" reaction, think about it a bit. This particular mod is not just snake oil, pseudo science, mumbo jumbo like fuel cats and the like there is some justification.

As standard your engine is set up by Subaru to meet all sorts of bull**** economy and emissions regs. It's running a fiar bit leaner than you would tune it if you gave it to a reputable tuner and asked to have it tuned for maximum attack and hang the consequences on fuel economy and emissions. So anything that adds a little more fuel is probably going to give you a bit more power. I guess a PPP remap does just that too (amongst a lot of other things).

What does this box do? It sits between the air temp sensor and the ECU and adjusts the sensor output via a 2p resistor to fool the ECU into thinking the air temp is a little colder than it really is. The ECU uses it's air temp compensation map (based on Boyles (or was it Charles'?) law) to say cold air is denser so more goes in per suck so add more fuel to compensate.

So in some specific circumstances this box may do the same as a one part of a PPP or personal remap for £15 instead of £700. Bad news is that you have to trust it's been done right, too much fuel and you have bore wash and ring damage. You also don't get the other tuning bits like ignition remapping and all the boost and fuel cut safeguards that come with PPP or a remap.

Guess it depends on how brave you are..... Personally I wouldn't risk it.
But how many Imprezas have an air temp sensor..... no Uk ones do (pre01), no pre97 (sti inc) do etc.. If you don't have one they suggest you fit it on the coolant temp sensor so it adds fuel as if the car was cold..... to a car that already runs far too rich as standard!!!!! This really is an absolute piece of ****e, steer well clear.

Tony.