Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New here, have some nooB questions;)

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2005, 10:03 AM
mr2freeek
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, have some nooB questions;)

Hello, I currently own a 1992 Toyota Mr2 turbo in Japan and I am re-locating to Germany in a few months. I will be buying a car either here in Japan and taking it with me, or I will buy one from Germany. Basically, my query is this, does anyone know any information on the WRX (1992-5) or the Legacy GT-B wagon? I know the Legacy wagon has the twin turbo 2.0 with around 250hp, but I don't know how easy they are to modify, work on or how they handle. As for the WRX, I really don't know too much about them, but my wife and I have somewhat decided that the WRX would be the best choice for an all-around family car/grocery getter and also could be taken to have a little fun out on the Auto-ban. I don't have too much money to spend on a car, but I would be looking at the earlier versions of these models, nothing fresh off the lot this time! Thanks in advance for your replies I am eager to learn about a new car, but just need a little knudge to get started!

Sab

**Please forgive me if this is in the wrong section**
Old 09 August 2005, 12:35 PM
mr2freeek
Scooby Newbie

Anyone??
Old 09 August 2005, 05:00 PM
mr2freeek
Scooby Newbie

onder2:
Old 13 August 2005, 11:18 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Well, sometimes things slip through m8.

Go to the UK Legacy site for best access to Legacy owners (although a few of us do pop in hereabouts). You'll need to tell us which version of the Legacy you are after - GTB is used very casually by many, and Japan does not go on model years, so we tend to go by model and code. For example, current shape is BL for the sedan, BP for the wagon, and it is up to the C revision. BE/BH era went from A to D rev. BD/BG was A to C rev. Specs vary greatly depending on the model and revision (e.g. BG5A had 250ps twin turbo, BG5B 280ps and many upgrades!).

Anyway, a few of us are more than willing to help

Cheers
Old 13 August 2005, 12:26 PM
mr2freeek
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by AJbaseBloke
Well, sometimes things slip through m8.

Go to the UK Legacy site for best access to Legacy owners (although a few of us do pop in hereabouts). You'll need to tell us which version of the Legacy you are after - GTB is used very casually by many, and Japan does not go on model years, so we tend to go by model and code. For example, current shape is BL for the sedan, BP for the wagon, and it is up to the C revision. BE/BH era went from A to D rev. BD/BG was A to C rev. Specs vary greatly depending on the model and revision (e.g. BG5A had 250ps twin turbo, BG5B 280ps and many upgrades!).

Anyway, a few of us are more than willing to help

Cheers
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am looking for a GTB model currently, and I like the idea of having 280ps on hand from the factory! I am not sure how heavy they are though, I think like 1500kg?? IIRC. What kind of upgrades did the BG5B's come with as opposed to the BG5A models? Also, I am looking into the Impreza WRX side of things, but I am not sure on the different models of them (RA, SA, etc). Also, I cannot seem to locate the stock power outputs for the 1992-1995 Impreza WRX's. Thanks again for the post

Sab
Old 13 August 2005, 02:02 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

An RA (Race Altered) Impreza was the cheapest car in the range, it had closer gears and a low final drive, a front LSD and a variable centre diff. In theory it weighed 30 kilos less than the equivalent WRX but in practice most of the weight savings were fitted as options. The earlier cars have a closed deck block but standard internals. Early WRX/WRX RAs produced 240PS. 1995 cars produced 260PS. 'Wagons and automatic cars have a smaller turbocharger and are designed to be more pleasant to drive with more low down torque and less lag; the trade-off was lower power: 220PS. The WRX Type-SA was a poverty-spec wagon from the 1994 model year, not an enhanced performance model. If its quicker its because its lighter, as all of the standard equipment was deleted.

Simon
Old 14 August 2005, 07:53 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Yep - GT-Bs are circa 1500kg in the BH era (last shape). The BG, one further back, were at least 50kg lighter.

The BG5A GTs were specced at 250ps output from the factory, and a little lighter than the strengthened and pumped up BG5B and C (better crash safety, stiffer shell, 280ps motor, better brakes etc., etc.).

Also, the GTB only appeared in BG5B and C revisions - the A revs, besides having tiny brakes and 250ps, were not equipped with Bilstein struts or the other tweaks offered on the later cars (17" wheels, 215/45 rubber, projector headlights etc.).

If you are looking for a faster, more easily tweaked route, the Impreza is the way to go. The twin turbo cars can be very quick, but are known to be complex, and react to mods very differently (=expensive ) than the single turbo models. Also, the Legacy is gonna be looking for 100RON, so the tune @ 280ps is going to be closer to the knock line than a 240ps Rex.

People who buy the Legacy are usually after a better interior, nicer ride and more space. Of course, with their pace, they do make earlier Imprezas look not so fast, but the Leggys are heavier

Good luck whichever route you take.
Old 20 August 2005, 01:44 PM
mr2freeek
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all replies Very helpful information given. Anyways, I have decided to go with a WRX Impreza. Can anyone briefly describe the driving characteristics of this car? I have a Toyota Mr2 currently and I know the mid-engine design is a lot different to handle than the FR design. I never owned a car with AWD, so I don't have a clue how that would handle in the corners and such. I hear nothing but good things about having AWD, the only downside bein the added weight and drive-train power loss. I will most likely be picking up a 1993 or 1994 model. Also, if anyone can explain the differences in the models more for me, witch is better for driving/family use those types of things I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks n advance

Sab