STi Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2005, 11:59 AM
mrsf
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi Advice...

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and am looking for an STi and your help would be appreciated....I am thinking of keeping it for 3 years!

I am looking at a few STi's and have come across two that are for sale. One is a 02 with 27k miles totally standard...its up for £13.5k. Its a european spec imported from new. Or do I go for a Type UK with 37k miles again totally standard for 13.5k?

Also is there any difference in spec between the two?
Would the import be harder to sell in 3 years time?

Again I appreciate your help!!!

Regards

MrsF
Old 10 August 2005, 12:49 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

MrsF, Welcome to Scoobynet...

As they are both '02 models then they should be near the end or out of the warranty period so if it's full UK spec import (with paperwork to prove it) then you are in the same boat as the "true" UK one. UK have traditionally had 3 year warranties, EU might be 1 year Subaru and 2 years sorted by importer or full 3 years depending when it was purchased. Dealers will try to make out there are differences re warranty, spec etc but if you've got one from a "traditional" EU country (belgium / Holland were popular at the time) then you should be OK. Cars to watch are ones from some of the recently joined countries like Malta, Cyprus etc as they could be different spec and International Motors (I.M. - the UK importer) wouldn't touch them with a bargepole re warranty etc.

For selling on in x number of years, dealers will play on the "it's not a proper British one" so will try to give you even less for it but if you're looking at a 6/7 year old car then would there be much point trying to sell one back to a dealer? Would private sales be more profitable unless you are part-exing it?

Incidentaly, insurers will do the same if they have to pay out on one - "you paid less for it so we're not going to pay you out as much" (been there, put up with the BS )

If the dealer is charging the same for both cars, why not play them at their own game and try to knock them down on the EU one due to the supposedly less spec, warranty, no Subaru Assist etc? See how they like it...

Andy
Old 10 August 2005, 12:53 PM
mrsf
Scooby Newbie

Andy,

Thanks for the reply....they are actually BOTH private sales. One is actually off of the scoobynet for sale forum (prodrive_eddie Type UK) the other is off of Autotrader (european import!)

Does anyone know the history of Eddies car? He's on holiday at the mo but am going to view it next week.....I previously had a Mini and was part of www.Mini2.com and from personal experience a forum member is usually more carefull than the average owner!

MrsF

Last edited by mrsf; 10 August 2005 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Typo's
Old 10 August 2005, 04:35 PM
mrsf
Scooby Newbie

Can anyone give me any more help?!
Old 10 August 2005, 04:54 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If you click on prodrive eddy's name you can view his last 100 posts on here. There may or may not be some skelingtons in that cupboard. Hopefully not, and you can just get on with buying a good 'un and start enjoying it
Old 10 August 2005, 11:25 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by mrsf
from personal experience a forum member is usually more carefull than the average owner!
...until the modding bug gets you and then it's keeping up with the Jones' to stick the next power hike, trinket on etc

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about Prodrive-Eddy's car so dunno whether it's sweet and innocently standard or a fire-breathing blingmobile with pimp-tints etc