Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

potential new owner of scooby. (is RS better)

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2005, 05:14 PM
daz_vx220
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation potential new owner of scooby. (is RS better)

Hi , i am currently running a 2.2 vx220 which i do love but may be ready for a change. I have been looking at about an 03 plate standard wrx for about 13k, but i am also interested in the focus RS. Has anyone driven both of these cars to let me no some comparisons. Also is the scooby really that bad on juice? I no someone who bought one and sold it a month lata cos it was a drinker.

Thanx
Old 10 August 2005, 05:29 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by daz_vx220
Hi , i am currently running a 2.2 vx220 which i do love but may be ready for a change. I have been looking at about an 03 plate standard wrx for about 13k, but i am also interested in the focus RS. Has anyone driven both of these cars to let me no some comparisons. Also is the scooby really that bad on juice? I no someone who bought one and sold it a month lata cos it was a drinker.

Thanx
Brief answer.

Don't buy a Scooby if you're worried about fuel consumption!!

Focus RS impressive for a FWD car and exciting to drive (sometimes for the wrong reasons) but 4WD WRX is a much more effective way of deploying over 200bhp and a much better all rounder.

NS04
Old 10 August 2005, 06:38 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz_vx220
Also is the scooby really that bad on juice? I no someone who bought one and sold it a month lata cos it was a drinker.
Our MY05 WRX PPP returns about 28-32 on a run, but have had 35 taking it v gently. Consumption is much lower on a blast and round town.

Haven't driven an RS but it gets a good write-up in this month's EVO.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 10 August 2005, 07:02 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

To be honest, any tuned 2L petrol engine will guzzle fuel.

From what I've read, the RS kick when it comes on boost is pretty strong. It will probably feel faster than a Scoob, as you've got similar power but to only the front wheels.

I've been a Scoob convert for two years, and recently drove a CTR in the wet...could never go back to two wheel drive - don't forget we live in the UK were it constantly rains...

All IMHO, of course
Old 10 August 2005, 09:57 PM
Gerald-S1
Scooby Regular

Hi Daz

As an Elise owner who last month bought an o3 wrx I can tell you its a total different kettle of fish. Like both cars for different reasons. So nice powering out of a bend as the turbo kicks in of the wrx +with the whole family on board. However that feel of the road from the VX/Elise around every B road will be sourly missed. I am freaking every time I fill up the wrx though. For all intents and purposes its a perfect sensible family car except for the consumption. I would still advise to go with the Impreza but keep the VX on a limited mileage insurance. I am actually thinking of selling the elise to build a kit car as I am finding I use it very little these days. Happy deliberating
Old 10 August 2005, 11:03 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

In reality (sp?) expect no more than 22mpg ave. and considerably less when giving it some espcially an STI.

If you do a LOT of m'way (ie cruising) you can get into the high 20's. Some even claim 30mpg+ whilst off boost cruising (one idiot even claims 40mpg but he eats Worthers Originals..!)
Old 10 August 2005, 11:22 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonius
one idiot even claims 40mpg but he eats Worthers Originals..!)
PMSL

Who could that be
Old 11 August 2005, 09:34 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I had a Focus RS for 2 years. Top car. I really miss it, and I kind of wish I'd never got rid of it.
Apart from the worst road, the Torque steer was never really that much of an issue, but beware. On a bumpy, camber ridden road it will bite. A few time a nearly side swipped the car I was overtaking.
On normal roads though, it fly's. You'll be amaised at how fast you can corner in it. It cornered harder & gripped more than my current STi. It rally is that good. The brakes also are on another level to the STi. It does 100-0 in 4.1sec. Same as a Zonda and only 0.1 sec slower than an Enzo. They never fadded either. I can't brake as hard in my STi.

Have a test drive of one though, and I'm sure you'll be supprised
Old 11 August 2005, 01:46 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Torque steer was never really that much of an issue, but beware. On a bumpy, camber ridden road it will bite. A few time a nearly side swipped the car I was overtaking.
They are a great car but this would seriously worry me..!
Old 11 August 2005, 03:20 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
They are a great car but this would seriously worry me..!
It all depends on where you live & what roads you drive on. If your roads are pretty smooth, or not that bad (you know what I mean) then the torque steer is not an issue. If your roads are all bumpy, camber ridden back roads, then the car can be a handfull.
Best thing for any potential FRS owner to do it test drive it on your usual roads, and see how it handles it.