ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Why modify the Scooby??

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2005, 07:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Why modify the Scooby??

Why not just buy a sodding car that does what you are trying to get the Scooby to do??

So many times I see people modify their cars and then spend £1,000's putting right the damage and long tern unreliability!!

I don't know - why buy a car that isn't what you want??

And then spend £1,000's modifying it and more money putting it right and then losing £1,000's come re-sale time???

ITS MADNESS!!

BUY A CAR THAT YOU WANT AND STOP SELLING YOURSELVES SHORT FFS!!!

Pete
Old 11 August 2005, 07:39 PM
animal-z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree that some modified cars are pants, but the reason most people modify there cars is cuz thats what they want to do , i used to do it aswell because i enjoyed buying an old banger and turning into a nice clean looking car how i want it to look,
i say respect to the ones that do the work themselves and pull it off, the ones i hate are the ones that pay someone else to do their car and then go round making out they did it themselves,
Old 11 August 2005, 07:46 PM
justanotherperson
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by pslewis
Why not just buy a sodding car that does what you are trying to get the Scooby to do??

So many times I see people modify their cars and then spend £1,000's putting right the damage and long tern unreliability!!

And then spend £1,000's modifying it and more money putting it right and then losing £1,000's come re-sale time???

ITS MADNESS!!

Pete
you are soooo right.....i think i will put off buying those side indicators lenses and sell my car,get another one with them already done.......thanks for that i nearly spent £10.00
Old 11 August 2005, 07:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by justanotherperson
you are soooo right.....i think i will put off buying those side indicators lenses and sell my car,get another one with them already done.......thanks for that i nearly spent £10.00
***cough*** tosser ***cough****

Pete
Old 11 August 2005, 07:50 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Me 2, that was close I nearly had a grain of imagination and individuality. I love bein a mindless drone!
Old 11 August 2005, 07:51 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

Maybe its because you can't buy an affordable 4 door 4 wheel drive car ewith a 350 bhp engine?? or maybe its because some peope think spending a few hundred quid on brakes that could save your life is important? or maybe people just get bored easliy but still like the fundamental basics that make the car what it is..and improve on that. either way..its self prefferance and **** all to do with any other individual.

as much as i found your last threads amusing it seems now you are just out to get everyones back up.
Old 11 August 2005, 07:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by noobscoob
or maybe its because some peope think spending a few hundred quid on brakes that could save your life is important? .
Pete doesn't use the brakes to slow down...that'd eat the pads, use engine braking dagnamit!!

NS04
Old 11 August 2005, 07:59 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i wish matron would "modify" the medicine she has you on stop you posting so much mindless drivel on here . oohh is that matron calling? must be time to empty your colostomy bag pete
Old 11 August 2005, 08:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Its a serious question ............ why buy a car you don't want???

And then spend £1,000's trying to make it what you really wanted in the first place!!

I bought it as it was what I wanted, end of.

Had I wanted an Aston I would have bought one of them .................

I added a towbar, but I will allow that!!

Pete
Old 11 August 2005, 08:08 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

U cant drive ur car very often! ur always on ur pc. Let me guese, it was jus what u wanted! HAHA
Old 11 August 2005, 08:11 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Pete
*cough pikey pete

coming to an illegal campsite near you folks
Old 11 August 2005, 08:13 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its a serious question ............ why buy a car you don't want???

And then spend £1,000's trying to make it what you really wanted in the first place!!

I bought it as it was what I wanted, end of.

Had I wanted an Aston I would have bought one of them .................

Pete
In theory, unless you use only genuine subaru parts then technically, you're modifying a car.

So genuine parts only all the way is it?
Old 11 August 2005, 08:13 PM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

Because some people cant afford a 911 which will cost them £40K, but they can afford a Classic Sti, and with a few mods get it as quick/quicker. Its also a hobby for people, i for one, are one of the 'idiots' who modify there impreza!
Old 11 August 2005, 08:14 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Can you post any pics of your car Pete?

Paul
Old 11 August 2005, 08:14 PM
Hath
Scooby Newbie

I think you my friend, are an ***, Anyone with common sense would have thought to them selve's that people who enjoy modifying cars and pour money into there pride and joys are enthusiasts about that type of car that model that they have. To be honest sure you can go buy i don't know a Chevrolet Corvette nice big 5.7litre V8 400bhp as standard for around 20 k ,However you can buy an absolote minted Subaru Impreza for a nice price of about £8k as a mate has done so quite recently, now with a few grand put into that would make that quite alot quicker than standard.. Its not all about what car you own its about what you want from it, Now if these fine people on scoobynet find that modifying there cars to an extent that wud giv most supercars a run for there moeny pleasing and satisying then I applaud them it takes dedication to do this. If I saw a Subaru hammering up the stretch and getting 10 second quarters id have more admiration and respect than to someone who has gone out and brought a super car of some sort..
Old 11 August 2005, 08:17 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Good to see you've not lost your touch with the annoying questions / comments . However you're asking a logical question which I fear has no logical answer. I simply do it because I can.

Kevin
mervil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hath
I think you my friend, are an ***
Thats a bit harsh for your first post!
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^ well said that man
Old 11 August 2005, 08:19 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

ITS MADNESS!!

Pete
I blame 'The Fast and the Furious' Peter. As a result people seem to think that 'modifying' cars is easy and involves little more than screwing bits of tat on.....

Simon
Old 11 August 2005, 08:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mervil
Thats a bit harsh for your first post!
I agree, Pete is a bit of a **** but it'd be polite to wait a while before mentioning it.....

Old 11 August 2005, 08:23 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Why not just go and play with a sodding shotgun Pete, and do what we hope you'll do with it.
Old 11 August 2005, 08:29 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

look...car moddifying is one of the biggest pastimes now in the uk. go on any fast car forum be it the lancer register,gti-r owners club.gtr owners etc etc..and most if not all of the cars have had some degree of moddification to suit either the drivers needs..or to gain horsepower.

go on pete..so you have never got into your car and thought..this feels slower than it used to? because you are getting used to the performance???
it happens to mewith every car i get..i still love the look and the feel of the car but i grow used to its acceleration..its limited grip..body roll.

i would like to say its only a small majority that apply silly spoilers and ''hks'' stickers on their saxo and metro..but a serious minority of people moddify a car for all the right reasons...and sometimes acheive a far better package than the manufacturers rolled out of the factory.

you are limited to what you can buy from a showroom..and nine times out of ten the standard car is more than enough..but people are dare i say this word individual and some needs are greater than others. i would think about moddifying your brakes though pete..because you will be moddifying the front end of your car in the rear of another if you don't go carefull on pads with more miles than noahs ark.
Old 11 August 2005, 08:31 PM
P1 SUB
Scooby Regular

"WHY RESPOND TO PSLEWIS?" would be a better question
Old 11 August 2005, 08:35 PM
AlexT
Scooby Regular

It's called human nature and for us there's no such thing as the "perfect car". Any car you buy will carry some sort of comprimise.

A Ferrari is an out and out drivers car but it'll spend half it's life being serviced or in the garage if it rains. Which is quite a lot.

A 911 is a superb sports/GT car. But it's German and about as exciting as your granny knitting you a tank top for xmas.

A Scooby is relatively cheap, reliable and great great fun and here lies the problem. The fun is addictive and we want me fun. Hence why we'll modify our scooby's.

Modifying a car is evolution. You think F1 Teams design their cars and once done start from scratch to improve it. Of course not (exception of Maclaren). They modify and improve to extract the full potential of out of the box.

And we do exactly the same.
Old 11 August 2005, 08:48 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Fair point Pete but I will sit on the fence on this one as I can see why people modify for all the reasons just explained. But also agree its a waste of money when it goes wrong and costs a fortune to put back right.

QUESTION. Is YOUR scooby exactly as it came off the factory floor ????
Old 11 August 2005, 08:59 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

PMSL at all the indignant people on the defensive because they fear that pete is having a go a their right to be individual. The self-same people who could be on here in a month's time beefing about their blown up engines and hoping for sympathy or damning the whole marque because scoobs aren't really designed to do what they expect of them. And wittering on about indicator lenses as if that scores the slightest rhetorical or logical point in the discussion. Laugh? I nearly bought a Lada.
Old 11 August 2005, 09:06 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

niva a borrower or a lender be....
Old 11 August 2005, 09:09 PM
asagi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
PMSL at all the indignant people on the defensive because they fear that pete is having a go a their right to be individual. The self-same people who could be on here in a month's time beefing about their blown up engines and hoping for sympathy or damning the whole marque because scoobs aren't really designed to do what they expect of them. And wittering on about indicator lenses as if that scores the slightest rhetorical or logical point in the discussion. Laugh? I nearly bought a Lada.

I wanted a Subaru that sounded like a Scooby should so got it decatted, and as a result modified it.

Now I have the car I want and it sounds like I want. Result.

Last edited by asagi; 11 August 2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11 August 2005, 09:11 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I hope you'll be happy with the nice syncopated knocking noise along with the burble.
Old 11 August 2005, 09:12 PM
asagi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
I hope you'll be happy with the nice syncopated knocking noise along with the burble.

Yes I'm delighted with it, thank you for asking

Quick Reply: Why modify the Scooby??