ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Police Looking for scoob...

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2005, 03:57 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police Looking for scoob...

the police are looking for this scoob to help with a fatal crash killed three people

anyone know it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/4179638.stm
Old 24 August 2005, 04:28 PM
PHILYB
Scooby Regular

Anybody?
It is rather distinctive!!!
Old 24 August 2005, 04:31 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without those stickers they'd not have much chance but they've made it quite distinctive!
Old 24 August 2005, 04:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Without those stickers they'd not have much chance but they've made it quite distinctive!
I wonder how long the stickers will remain on the car!

i hope they find them and sort it out, whatever happened.
Old 24 August 2005, 04:44 PM
Squadron-Leader
Scooby Regular

Silver (maybe White) Classic Wagon, no roof bars???, tints??? and of course the stickers will make it stand out a bit.

Even if the owner has removed the mods, or maybe even torched the car... someone has got of worked on it or seen it around the Birmingham area.

J.
Old 24 August 2005, 04:44 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not long now! they're out there with the hairdryer now I bet! Hope they catch up with the driver, it must be a matter of time now.
Old 24 August 2005, 05:13 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

If this happened in February, I would not be surprised if the car has been sold on since.
Old 24 August 2005, 05:35 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

OK its very sad that three peole died and one was injured, my feelijg go to all the families involved, but possibly I'm reading too much into this but where the people in the Rover 216 where trying to race the Scoob and possibly the MR2 earlier ?
Why oh why do people insit on trying to race others cars on the public roads, it generally ends in disaster. - Especially when two uneven matched cars and un even matched driving ability !
Richard
Old 24 August 2005, 06:11 PM
acko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
OK its very sad that three peole died and one was injured, my feelijg go to all the families involved, but possibly I'm reading too much into this but where the people in the Rover 216 where trying to race the Scoob and possibly the MR2 earlier ?
Why oh why do people insit on trying to race others cars on the public roads, it generally ends in disaster. - Especially when two uneven matched cars and un even matched driving ability !
Richard
must agree with above. At the end of the day its maybe hard but, thats showbiz.

They should'nt have been racing should they? Thats what you have trackdays for, or so i understand.
Old 24 August 2005, 06:42 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Looks like a kitted Sport to me, not a Turbo !

Rob
Old 24 August 2005, 07:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I remember somebody asking the same question here last February - no pics at the time.
Old 24 August 2005, 07:57 PM
NeilP1
Scooby Regular

seen it ( street racing ) up brum on a sat night but not for a long time now think the driver was indian he was a nutter
Old 24 August 2005, 08:25 PM
GreenTurbo98
Scooby Regular

Could it be a Sport, is that a sun roof on it too?

Think I might have seen it once in the past round Digbeth, does stand out with those stickers...
Old 24 August 2005, 08:53 PM
NeilP1
Scooby Regular

its not a sport i have seen it !!!!! he is mad
Old 24 August 2005, 09:09 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NeilP1
its not a sport i have seen it !!!!! he is mad
so do you know him and where he is or are you going to sit back and let him get involved in some way in another fatal accident?
Old 24 August 2005, 09:32 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scarey
so do you know him and where he is or are you going to sit back and let him get involved in some way in another fatal accident?
He's seen it FFS, he doesn't know the blokes inside leg measurement.
Old 25 August 2005, 11:21 AM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

With the police prosecuting people for being in the vicinity of such crashes on the accusation of "racing" I am not surprised that the driver is keeping quiet.

One recent prosecution when the driver of the more powerful car was so far behind that he was able to stop safely in a lay-by before the accident, and call the emergency services. Because CCTV showed that he was speeding down the same road, his lawyer advised that he would be found guilty anyway, and that he should plead guilty for a reduced sentence. He was given 5 years for causing death by dangerous driving despite all witnesses saying that they were not racing, and that the gap between vehicles was in excess of 3 seconds.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3594
Old 25 August 2005, 11:36 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I do agree that the police maybe looking for somebody to blame and prosecute....unfortunatley the person 100% to blame is quite literally dead and buried (the driver of the crashed car - he was in control and responsible to the car he was driving and its passengers). The driver of the scoob may drive like an idiot and intimidate other drivers and he should be found and questioned about this, but I'll be digusted if they ever try and pin any death by dangerous driving charges on him as it will truely reflect the police's integrity and all they are after is purely convictions moreso than fact and establishing circumstances.
Old 25 August 2005, 12:11 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Is it just me or is it becoming more common that the police now try and do anyone in the area of an accident for something? They really are clutching at straws and i wonder how such convictions appear on their stats? Perhaps they even appear in the "murders solved" section which must make them look good because it is rare they solve anything else. It will not be long before it is going to become tricky to get a witness to anything for fear that the witness might have to be done for something.

I appreciate that there are certainly cases where people do engage in a race on the public roads and that both parties involved should be investigated for this but i do not believe that one party can be responsible for the death of another unless the two vehicles actually come into contact. The fact is that if someone wants to race me i have the choice and, in my case, i just ignore them. If they go shooting past me and into a wall would the police come after me even though i wasn't involved? I bet they would.

Some years back I was travelling at a steady speed (at the 60mph speed limit) along an empty rural road. On a straight section a car passed me travelling considerably more quickly that me. I continued to travel at a steady 60mph even when i reached a relatively twisty section of the road and after some time i caught up on the car that passed me, though it was out of my sight for perhaps 5 - 10 minutes after passing me. He was clearly trying to drive much too fast for his skills/car on the twisty section and was using both sides of the road to get around corners and on one occasion totally lost the car, though i don't think he had any idea how close he came to disaster. Had he of put the car through the wall i would certainly have stopped to assist, i was certainly not racing him, my speed had been constant (where safe) all along the road, for most of the way he was so far ahead as to be well out of sight, i wasn't driving close to him, i had no control of infulence over the speed at which he was choosing to drive and on the next straight section he accelerated to pull out a considerable lead over me before we had potential for a repeat performance in the next twisty section. If he had choosen to kill himself in front of me would it of been reasonable for it to be my fault and for me to serve a jail term for it? I certainly wouldn't have thought so but the police now seem to think that my actions may have constituted a crime.
Old 25 August 2005, 12:22 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Well,I think the owner of the Subaru Wagon deserves arresting and given a long prison sentence regardless of whether or not he was involved the actual incident.

.....Stickering up any Impreza is a vile and henious crime
Old 25 August 2005, 01:17 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Is it just me or is it becoming more common that the police now try and do anyone in the area of an accident for something? They really are clutching at straws and i wonder how such convictions appear on their stats? Perhaps they even appear in the "murders solved" section which must make them look good because it is rare they solve anything else. It will not be long before it is going to become tricky to get a witness to anything for fear that the witness might have to be done for something.

I appreciate that there are certainly cases where people do engage in a race on the public roads and that both parties involved should be investigated for this but i do not believe that one party can be responsible for the death of another unless the two vehicles actually come into contact. The fact is that if someone wants to race me i have the choice and, in my case, i just ignore them. If they go shooting past me and into a wall would the police come after me even though i wasn't involved? I bet they would.

Some years back I was travelling at a steady speed (at the 60mph speed limit) along an empty rural road. On a straight section a car passed me travelling considerably more quickly that me. I continued to travel at a steady 60mph even when i reached a relatively twisty section of the road and after some time i caught up on the car that passed me, though it was out of my sight for perhaps 5 - 10 minutes after passing me. He was clearly trying to drive much too fast for his skills/car on the twisty section and was using both sides of the road to get around corners and on one occasion totally lost the car, though i don't think he had any idea how close he came to disaster. Had he of put the car through the wall i would certainly have stopped to assist, i was certainly not racing him, my speed had been constant (where safe) all along the road, for most of the way he was so far ahead as to be well out of sight, i wasn't driving close to him, i had no control of infulence over the speed at which he was choosing to drive and on the next straight section he accelerated to pull out a considerable lead over me before we had potential for a repeat performance in the next twisty section. If he had choosen to kill himself in front of me would it of been reasonable for it to be my fault and for me to serve a jail term for it? I certainly wouldn't have thought so but the police now seem to think that my actions may have constituted a crime.
Have the police questioned you about this? Or are you just making a huge assumption that your situation, had there been an accident, would be handled in the same way as a guy cought on camera racing a car shortly before it was involved in a fatal crash?
While that example seems very harsh, there's always more to a story than we get to know, such as people's previous history, eye witness reports, blood content etc.
Old 25 August 2005, 01:35 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
Well,I think the owner of the Subaru Wagon deserves arresting and given a long prison sentence regardless of whether or not he was involved the actual incident.

.....Stickering up any Impreza is a vile and henious crime
Totally Agree!! He Should Be Tarred & Feathered...
Old 25 August 2005, 06:39 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
Have the police questioned you about this? Or are you just making a huge assumption that your situation, had there been an accident, would be handled in the same way as a guy cought on camera racing a car shortly before it was involved in a fatal crash?
While that example seems very harsh, there's always more to a story than we get to know, such as people's previous history, eye witness reports, blood content etc.
Sorry, perhaps i wasn't clear that the person in front did not, that i saw, have an accident and so there was no police involvement. I was just questioning if, in light of recent cases, they could have attempted to pin a charge of "racing" on me should the person in front of had an accident even though i most certainly was not racing in any possible sense, was sometimes some considerable distance behind on the road, did not at any time exceed the posted speed limit and yet had several hundred horsepower more than the vehicle which passed me. I wasn't making any assumptions, but i was raising some questions which need considered.

However, i fully appreciate what you are saying and that there are people out there who drive extremely badly and also that there are two sides to every story. Perhaps, however, what we are seeing here is more of the tendancy in this society for individuals to blame others for their actions. In the end only the driver of a car can be responsible for how he drives it and he has the choice to pull over or slow down if he feels he is driving at an unsafe speed. If he fails to do this and has an accident then that accident can't be my fault, though under no circumstances should i attempt to race anyone on the public roads.

Taken to its ultimate conclusion i then become responsible for every accident that happens in front of me. After all there have been several cases recently where drivers have been held responsible for the deaths of those involved in accidents in front of them. One case is the well documented case to which you allude but I am aware of another where a motorbike crashed on a corner and a motorist who stopped to help was charged in a manner similar to the case previously discussed. I am not aware of the outcome in that case, as you say there are almost certainly two sides to the story but even so it may set a dangerous precedent when it comes to stopping to assist at an accident.

What happens if i am driving along minding my own business and a car behind me passes me and crashes killing the driver. I stop to assist and remain at the scene until police arrive. A passenger in the crashed car then tells the police that the dead driver was determined to get past me, though i had no knowledge of this fact nor took no part in the decision taken by the driver. do i become responsible for the death because the police may claim that the dead driver "raced past me" and that, therefore, i was engaged in racing as well?

This is certainly complex and i don't have an answer but as the police appear more and more desperate to get convictions and as they become more anti-motorist at the top, if not among the officers on the ground, i think such cases require, at least, an open mind. Guilt should be determined beyond reasonable doubt. In the example i gave where no accident took place and the police were not involved i could see how careful presentation of the facts in a court may have convinced a jury beyond reasonable doubt that i had been involved in racing. In the incidents i am aware of where such cases have been brought i must say that i could not be convinced beyond reasonable doubt that anyone was racing or that another driver could be held responsible for the deaths but i could see how police and other "expert" witnesses could paint a picture which might lead a jury to convict.

A difficult ethical and moral problem and, as you say, there are two sides to the story but ultimately each one of us must take responsibility for our own safety and the safety of others on the roads. That certainly means not racing anyone but it also means not laying the blame for the misjudgement of a motorist at the door of another.