Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone who has the knowledge...

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2005, 12:19 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone who has the knowledge...

After much deliberation, I am going to take the plunge and upgrade my classic, but I don't really need to and I'm worried about losing that 'X Factor'. This has probably been done before but I cannot find any posts with exactly the answer I am looking for. I have an MY00 + PPP running Optimax ONLY. I am looking at buying an MY05 WRX + PPP.

The question - Forget about 0-60 times, I want to know how the car is going to feel in the real world. I have taken a test drive, but I need feedback from people with months/years of experience of driving both. I know the WRX has more power, but it is also a lot heavier...

Which one:

a) is quicker
b) feels quicker
c) handles the best

How much should I be paying for a new WRX + PPP?

Thanks.

Mark.

Last edited by Wuss; 25 August 2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old 25 August 2005, 12:55 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Not exactly the same circumstances but i had a MY99 (for 4 years) which was totally standard and now have an 03 STi. It is a more solid and better built car but the fun factor is totally gone and it doesn't handle in the same fun, confidence inspiring way that the MY99 did.

Clearly this is somewhat different to the WRX but i certainly lost all the fun factor going to the STi, in fact i took it back to the dealer and reported faulty handling, but no fault was ever found. However the STi has other things to commend it and i have had it since new and have held on to it so it isn't a bad car as such.

In your situation if i had the cash then i might hold on to my classic and keep it as a "fun" car and buy something like a TDI Golf as a daily driver.
Old 25 August 2005, 01:01 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

I've gone from a MY99 classic (non ppp) to a MY03 wrx (non ppp too ) the 03 is a lot more refined and grown up as you say and therefore more comfortable and not as much crash and bang , that said it does 'feel' slower but when you actually look at the speedo I don't think it is that much slower on the road.I do find the turbo lag to be worse than it was on the classic but with ppp I guess this should help to reduce this for you . I know this doesn't answer your question excatly but I hope it helps a little

Dave
Old 25 August 2005, 01:07 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Other peoples experiences arent going to help you much. Everyone has different ideals of what works for them.

Take the prospective car out for a whole day and see how you get on with it.

Bob
Old 25 August 2005, 01:10 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Not exactly the same circumstances but i had a MY99 (for 4 years) which was totally standard and now have an 03 STi. It is a more solid and better built car but the fun factor is totally gone and it doesn't handle in the same fun, confidence inspiring way that the MY99 did.

Clearly this is somewhat different to the WRX but i certainly lost all the fun factor going to the STi, in fact i took it back to the dealer and reported faulty handling, but no fault was ever found. However the STi has other things to commend it and i have had it since new and have held on to it so it isn't a bad car as such.

In your situation if i had the cash then i might hold on to my classic and keep it as a "fun" car and buy something like a TDI Golf as a daily driver.
Hi Mr Hedgehog

I have felt much the same way about the change between my 99my Turbo & WR1. However, if you have not had the geometry settings checked, I'd strongly suggest a trip to Powerstation to get it looked at. Subaru do not appear to set up the geometry at all when it leaves the factory or dealer.
Old 25 August 2005, 01:11 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, this is exactly the sort of response I was looking for. I don't want to start a classic vs new-age thread, but I need to make sure that I am not going to fork out 10-15 grand only to wonder why the hell I made the change in the first place.

I've had my UK classic from new for five and a half years and the minor mods I have made suit me perfectly:

- PPP
- prodrive quickshift
- OZ P1 anthracite wheels

I still love the colour (DBM) and the car looks great when it's been washed .

But, it is five and half years old and it is out of warranty, so I should upgrade... hence the thread

Mark.
Old 25 August 2005, 01:15 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Nick
Hi Mr Hedgehog

I have felt much the same way about the change between my 99my Turbo & WR1. However, if you have not had the geometry settings checked, I'd strongly suggest a trip to Powerstation to get it looked at. Subaru do not appear to set up the geometry at all when it leaves the factory or dealer.
Is it just me or does the standard STi suspension feels really 'bouncy'. I know it sounds odd, but it felt really weird on the test drive and the car only had 3,000 miles on it!

Mark.

Trending Topics

Old 25 August 2005, 01:16 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi Mr Hedgehog

Nick,

Had you owned the MY99 from new and did it have a PPP or any mods?

Mark.
Old 25 August 2005, 03:45 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Hi Mr Hedgehog

Unfortunately I can't get to Powerstation but I did take the car back just after it was run in and told the dealer that it had a suspension fault. They did a very careful check, 4 wheel alignment etc. and one of their engineers, a chap i know and trust, took it out and drove it and i was assured that they "all to that sir..."

To be honest i think there is a fundamental chassis problem and that they are tweaking the suspension in an attempt to compensate.
Old 25 August 2005, 03:51 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Wuss
Nick,

Had you owned the MY99 from new and did it have a PPP or any mods?

Mark.
I had the 99my from new, the only mod was a Scoobysport backbox. I used SUL only & ran on SO2s with 16" wheels.

I have Prodrive springs, so my suspension is not quite the same as the STi you drove. The STi however I think feels more "figity" rather than bouncy - but I think I know what you mean. However I think you were thinking more of the regular WRX for comparison.
Old 25 August 2005, 03:55 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Unfortunately I can't get to Powerstation but I did take the car back just after it was run in and told the dealer that it had a suspension fault. They did a very careful check, 4 wheel alignment etc. and one of their engineers, a chap i know and trust, took it out and drove it and i was assured that they "all to that sir..."

To be honest i think there is a fundamental chassis problem and that they are tweaking the suspension in an attempt to compensate.
If you're living anywhere near the UK , then a trip to Powerstation should be worth the trouble. After seeing the figures for the geometry, I wouldn't trust anything Subaru said again. If the dealer did a careful check, give they give you a printout? If so, I'd be happy to email/fax my before & after readings for your comparison.
Old 08 November 2005, 04:32 PM
Brill
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wuss
After much deliberation, I am going to take the plunge and upgrade my classic, but I don't really need to and I'm worried about losing that 'X Factor'. This has probably been done before but I cannot find any posts with exactly the answer I am looking for. I have an MY00 + PPP running Optimax ONLY. I am looking at buying an MY05 WRX + PPP.

The question - Forget about 0-60 times, I want to know how the car is going to feel in the real world. I have taken a test drive, but I need feedback from people with months/years of experience of driving both. I know the WRX has more power, but it is also a lot heavier...

Which one:

a) is quicker
b) feels quicker
c) handles the best

How much should I be paying for a new WRX + PPP?

Thanks.

Mark.
Hi Wuss,

This is nothing to do with the above post, but you PM'd me about my STi. I've attempted to reply but it says your message box is full and that you have to delete some before you can receive any new PM's. I also attempted to e-mail you through your public profile but it also wouldn't let me. This was the only way I could think of replying to you so here is the reply to your PM.

Hi Mark,

Right then here's your answers.

My STi has had 1 previous owner to myself, I've had it since 07/02/05.
The Reg date is 24/05/03.
Yes it still has warranty until 24/05/06, the garage from where it was originally purchased will need to be notified so they can change the details to the new owner. I'm afraid I'm unsure if the warranty can be extended but to be honest I can't see why it couldn't be.
The tracker is a yearly subscription.
The reason I'm selling is because I've purchased a Mercedes CLK. I'm usually in a lot of traffic on the way to work and I wanted something a little more luxurious. I wish I didn't have to sell it but I can't afford to run them both

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Cheers
Lee