P1's are they still "respected"

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2005, 09:01 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking P1's are they still "respected"

Saw a nice one on the way in to work this morning

How'd they compare to the STi's of today (I personally still prefer the classic shapes)

Guess the P1 of today is the WR1 which looks good but lets face it looks a bit camp in that awful colour
Old 26 August 2005, 09:22 AM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

I've always preferred the 'classic' shape and in my opinion the P1 is the best classic impreza for UK roads ...

... but then i'm biased 'cause i've got one! All I know is it gets plenty of attention and draws a lot of compliments and more importantly ... I like it!
Old 26 August 2005, 09:28 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would prefer a 22B over a P1 but its still a fantastic car.
Old 26 August 2005, 09:29 AM
Tchort
Scooby Regular

they are very much respected by me.
Old 26 August 2005, 09:32 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

don't see the point in them now as their warranties will have run out. get a better speced STi V or VI Type-R or better still a V-Limited or look at a Type RA V-limited.
Old 26 August 2005, 09:34 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
don't see the point in them now as their warranties will have run out. get a better speced STi V or VI Type-R or better still a V-Limited or look at a Type RA V-limited.

Had an STi Type RA v-limited in the past, wouldn't personally get another JDM one to be honest.
Old 26 August 2005, 09:35 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

P1's are highly respected cars. I would only buy a 1 or 2 owner car, with every single invoice for services.
Old 26 August 2005, 09:38 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mega_stream
Had an STi Type RA v-limited in the past, wouldn't personally get another JDM one to be honest.
I know you had a very nice one

Why not?
Old 26 August 2005, 09:49 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know you had a very nice one

Why not?

Memories......

Yeah, why not....good question that...insurance costs I guess...I can insure a UK STi with PPP or a P1 for £550, whereas a JDM car shoots to £900
Old 26 August 2005, 09:51 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Ok so it's nothing to do with the car itself then. Fair point re insurance.

That or a Type-R has to be the best of the 'normal' shape classics.
Old 26 August 2005, 10:43 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

The only problem with a P1 was the awful UK switch-gear used on the interior for A/C controls etc. A Type-R is a nicer place to sit, but essentially the same. P1 never had adjustable diff either which was a mistake.

Matt
Old 26 August 2005, 05:04 PM
Tchort
Scooby Regular

I still have a years warranty left as its a 51 pate and i took out another 2 years when i purchased it.
Old 26 August 2005, 05:22 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

i like the P1, but i know in my heart of hearts its just a poorer type-r, and that puts me off
Old 26 August 2005, 05:27 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

I went for the P1 over the Type R due to insurance, warranty, the fact it was a UK car and that I'd prefer taking the P1 to a dealer or sell it private than a Type R. Not that I want to sell the P1, as its been fantastic so far. Loving every minute and it turns heads every time I take him out (Its a 'he', no woman can look that aggressive yet beautiful in car form. Hehe)
Old 26 August 2005, 05:30 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 26 August 2005, 05:33 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

There seems to be a few people who have had new shape scoobys and gone back to the classic shape, wish I went for a P1 or a Type r V-limited over my Blobeye scoob, but insurance is a lot cheaper on the newer cars and no one would insure me on a Jap spec cause of my age, insurance on a P1 was about the same as a WRX STi Type UK.
Old 26 August 2005, 05:49 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

In my opinion If ure gonna drive ure 2 door every day then the P1 is perfect,, but if ure only having one as a toy then its got to be a type r.

The P1 gearing is alot more suited to day to day driving where as the group N box in the R is the best gear box ive ever shifted is a nightmare for distance.

And to be hosest , i would say the P1 has more Respect out and about on the street than any scoob. where as the type r is a purists special and has more respect to us enthusiasts,cus it is a better car for out right performing/racing/rallying but then again the P1 can do all those things ,, plus be a bit nicer for days out/going to shops/ visiting your aunty Betty 400 miles away and basic car tasks.

So yes to origonal question P1,s are respected cus there a 2 door scoob, and everyone loves a 2 door scoob.
Old 26 August 2005, 06:18 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

P1 will always be respected. But the new cars have a lot going for them: 03-04 STis need uprated springs to sort out understeer and sports exhaust with remap (or PPP) to give decent power/weight and improved throttle response. Given that, they are a match for a P1 IMO.

If you can stretch to an MY05 or a Spec C then I think you're into a different league ... drove a very well-sorted P1 a number of times in the past and think you'd have to do serious suspension and power mods to bring the P1 up to the same level as a Spec C.
Old 26 August 2005, 06:27 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

The Spec C is a great Scooby, arguably the best. But its lost its flat 4 voice and its a lot scarier than the day to day lifestyle of the P1. I do honestly think I'll stick with Subaru for my next car. Thats if I can afford to keep the P1 running year in year out. If not, I'll make the jump back to Renault and try one of the new batch of RenaultSport 200bhp Clio's on sale next year
Old 26 August 2005, 06:34 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

2b honest i dont think its as respected as it was,mainly due to the fact that theres loads of modified uk/wrx classics about now,lets face it its the colour and the fact its a 2 door-theres a p1 round our way thats in very average condition wouldnt call it rough it just aint looked after-dont get me wrong i love em meself but would buy an sti type r over one any day- its the spec the p1 should have been.
Old 26 August 2005, 08:35 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

All Impreza's have a bad rep now unfortunately

Steve
Old 26 August 2005, 10:13 PM
Cgarcia
Scooby Regular

I have been driving impreza's for nearly 5 years now and i still love them to bits. Iv had my p1 for nearly two years and like others have said, there appears to be an ever growing boy racer reputation that goes with the cars. I would like to think that the P1 still gets the respect it deserves along with the great type r and 22b. Infact all impreza's are superb.
Old 26 August 2005, 10:57 PM
Llama
Scooby Newbie

All Impreza's have a bad rep now unfortunately
Why is this, exactly? ???

Also, why don't you guys across the pond just do what we do here in Canada? Just drop the ver8 type RA spec C into the 2-dr shell? Grab a base model 2-dr and swap it!
Old 26 August 2005, 11:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Llama
Why is this, exactly? ???

Also, why don't you guys across the pond just do what we do here in Canada? Just drop the ver8 type RA spec C into the 2-dr shell? Grab a base model 2-dr and swap it!
Good idea, bad in practice, basically because your getting rid of the shell which has less flex than the classic car, hence the reason you cant get a classic anywhere near as good as a newage in stiffness unless you weld the lot up, defeats the object really.
Spec C's rule, P1's are nice, S203.... oh yes please

Tony
Old 26 August 2005, 11:22 PM
andy_scouser
Scooby Regular

An impreza is a drivers car, the P1 being one of the best within reach... the 22B ( 555 in decimal ) being the car for the lucky...i've driven 3 BTW and still rate the typeR as being the best classic.

Ive had them since 1995 (prodrive car N555REP, whare are you now?) when they where uber desirable. A few younger lads can get into impreza's now, but its still VERY rare to see an impreza that looks more like a mobile chippy than a car, so maybe the young lads still have the respect.....

As I said earlier, if your concerned about 'image' or 'pose value' then I think, to be honest, you are missing the point about Impreza's and maybe you should go and buy something else.

Me, im just about to pick up Impreza number 8 next week I've had loads of other performance cars along the way, but the impreza still gives me the smiles, sod anybody who turns their nose up... they are missing out!
Old 27 August 2005, 12:19 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mega_stream
Saw a nice one on the way in to work this morning

How'd they compare to the STi's of today (I personally still prefer the classic shapes)

Guess the P1 of today is the WR1 which looks good but lets face it looks a bit camp in that awful colour
Having received my warranty renewal of 864 squid (my02 WRX) and quoted on the same letter 1250 ish quid for a P1, i personnaly wouldn't touch one as Subaru obviously expect problems with them as they mature to the ripe old age of 50-60k on the clock of life.
Old 27 August 2005, 12:27 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I`d have one, does that count?
Old 27 August 2005, 11:23 PM
p1prodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy_scouser
An impreza is a drivers car, the P1 being one of the best within reach... the 22B ( 555 in decimal ) being the car for the lucky...i've driven 3 BTW and still rate the typeR as being the best classic.

Ive had them since 1995 (prodrive car N555REP, whare are you now?) when they where uber desirable. A few younger lads can get into impreza's now, but its still VERY rare to see an impreza that looks more like a mobile chippy than a car, so maybe the young lads still have the respect.....

As I said earlier, if your concerned about 'image' or 'pose value' then I think, to be honest, you are missing the point about Impreza's and maybe you should go and buy something else.

Me, im just about to pick up Impreza number 8 next week I've had loads of other performance cars along the way, but the impreza still gives me the smiles, sod anybody who turns their nose up... they are missing out!
well said matey, if you like a car then what everyone else thinks doesn't matter and who even cares what type of people are driving impreza's ....if you like then no problem here.

as for p1 i have one and loving every minute of it !......would be nice if it had DCCD but i would give that up for the uk susspension set up etc....any day of the week !

matt
Old 27 August 2005, 11:38 PM
dougies549
Scooby Regular

Default The Bollocks

Hi Guys

Not going to go to much about it, but in my choice the P1 is the best of the old shape and some of the newer shape Scoob's.

But i just love mine

Cheers Dougie
Old 28 August 2005, 12:24 AM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Still prefer the clasic shape and i think P1's are stunning and if could of afforded one when i bought mine i would of had one.

Love type r's aswell but 2 things put me off higher insurance cost and no ABS.