Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WONDERING ABOUT SANITY

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2000, 02:24 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The more time I live with the car and read of the many problems that seem to litter these pages I wonder why the hell do we put up with it!
As for the JD Power survey I'm coming to the opinion that some people want don't tell the complete truth as they love their "icons" and don't want to shatter the illusion by telling thr whole truth as regards faults/deales etc.
Frankly the pages are littered with so many problems it's frightening......especially when you have this car elevated in your head to the "iconic" status before actually owning one.
So far my own motor has the surges,a crap gearbox,juddering clutch etc ,etc......then you read of brake disc dying when young crap ECU'S and numerous other faults.....are we all mad.....
Old 21 September 2000, 02:31 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Get A Vectra, Frontera or a Galaxy, etc. - Scooby problems pale into insignificance beside 'em.
Current car -Impreza Turbo 26k miles
New front Disks - warped @ 16k miles - changed under warranty by the dealer who knew i need the car urgently and fitted me in early the next day - took 'em bout 2 hours. My dealer listens to me and my requirements and sort things for me.

My last car Vectra 2.0GLS - did 48k miles - disks F+R - not covered by the warranty ecu reset 3 times! new exhaust mainfold - had to wait six weeks for this! - Auto gearbox problems galore. Car interior started to rattle after 6K and got worse with every mile. routine service more than a Scooby - Bloody rude and uncaring dealership (in my opinion) 17K new - 2 years old - got 6.5K - Dealer would not buy it back - Can't shift 'em for love nor money Sir (sneered the 'sir' as well).

Our company Galaxy nearly 2 years old.
Interior made out of tissue paper.
Numerous electrical faults - two new heated seat squabs, etc, etc. (could be the driver farting doing these in!). brake disks, A/C packed up - £ 850+VAT) uneve tyre wear ('bout 15k per front tyre on a 1.9TD)Ford dealer not interested -'nothing wrong with the car' - Tyres Northampton sorted it!
Dealers are rule, they do not listen to your requirements - Two weeks before the last service - we called to infrm them that the cigarette lighter had packed up again along with various dash bulbs - could they 'do' at the service. Picked the car up - they advised us that there where various lights out on the dash would we like them to do it at some time - one example of many incidents.

Volvo C70 GT5R 20K
Noisy windows - window motors packed up
Dealer kerbed a wheel whilst test driving after service - argued black was white that they had not.
Fragile interior

Vectra 2.5 45K
Disks F+R
Gearbox
Window wiper motors
BOTH manifolds
ECU
COILS x6 (one per plug apparently)

Oh i feel better for getting that orf me chest - Bitter moi? - Nononono

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 21 September 2000).]

Old 21 September 2000, 02:43 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Otis, are you there. Set the record straight will you.
Old 21 September 2000, 02:47 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

uhmm, having a bad day?

I love my scoob and it's problem free. Not sure about any iconic status, infamous maybe...
Old 21 September 2000, 03:00 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

If there was a Vauxhall Vectranet or Galaxychat then i am sure that it would be full and i do mean FULL of complaints

I can see the hesdings now

General Questions (like why did i buy)
Squeaks & Rattles
Paintwork
Brakes
Electrical
Electrical
Electrical (would need three sections)
Dealer problems (busiest forum)
Local taxi companies details (sort of get you home service)
Anything else ? (oh boy)
Suspension - not on the Vectra site as they omited suspension form the cars.

Audio - Important if you have a Vectra 'cause this is the only way to drown out the rattles and squeaks.

Ahhh the 'red mist' is clearing again.

Old 21 September 2000, 03:05 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

What model do you have.
I can honestly say my car, Terzo with all Prodrive mods, has only given me problems with clutch [changed under warranty], shocks [also changed under warranty].
Getting some sort of draught windows now but I'll get the Shark to check it out.
Anything else was the fault of the buffoon driving the car.
I bought the car after driving it and having never read an article about it. What got me was the way it looked. And then I drove it.
Sold.
All masterpieces [?] are ultimately flawed.
Its just a matter of whether you are prepared to put up with them or not.
Old 21 September 2000, 03:12 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Cool

Paul H,

You didn't seem to have much luck with your Vectra. I had a Cav GSI and I have more rattles in my Scoob, (well one actually). The Cav proved rock solid and I had four years of trouble free motoring. Shame about the rusty arches.

I agree the dealers are not the best in the world, pretty poor actually and the Vectra has certainly had more than its fair share of problems.

Their customer care service! is not exactly great either. IMO.

P.

Trending Topics

Old 21 September 2000, 03:14 PM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

Cool

A friend has got a Ford Probe for his troubles and the online user group is something to behold. The list of problems really makes the Scooby look fantastic!
Old 21 September 2000, 03:15 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Yep
Old 21 September 2000, 03:50 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm not having a bad day,just reflecting on the early experience of ownership,tempered with the tales of woe in these 'ere pages.
I too fell under teh Scooby spell after my first drive....magnificent performance from a car with a fantastic reputation.....It is this reputation thing that is being chipped away at in these columns of faults.
I too have been back to the dealer for various fixes,the clutch/engine hesitation I was informed were characteristic of the car....b..locks!! they are faults!!
The rattles were partially solved in that some have remained dormant and others have returned with a vengance....
The fact that the car is MY99 and looked after worries me when I see things like gear boxes are crap and can barely handle the standard motor's torque,when I've plans for future upgrades which didn't entail replacing a gerabox, which I naively thought would be bullet proof in such a car.
It is perhaps my fault for perhaps putting the car on a pedastal before actually owning one.I know performance has a price,but so many common faults that are quite expensive out of warranty(or in it if dealer is not interested!!) I did not expect.
The only thing keeping me in the game is what brought me to the car in the first place....high performance at a reasonable price!!!....pounds sterling that is ,'cos there seem to be other ways you have to pay that are ....let's say hidden!

[This message has been edited by crusher (edited 21 September 2000).]

[This message has been edited by crusher (edited 21 September 2000).]
Old 21 September 2000, 04:19 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Sith

I agree, the Cavalier was a great car compared to the Vectra/most new Vauxhalls
As a Vauxhall/Opel fan having had 3 A series Opel Mantas and two Manta GTE's over the years. It's not just the cars it's the dealers and the general couldn't give a t*ss attitude that gets me.
Old 21 September 2000, 07:10 PM
Glenn
Scooby Regular

Paul, I'm with you on the Vectra - whilst a comfortable company hack (2.5V6 SRi) - it's falling to bits after one year ! I've had four different pieces of interior / exterior plastic replaced as the originals had fallen off, and (would you believe) a new rear window as the old one fell out when having my mobile kit fitted !

I think we all have to bear in mind with Scoobies that A) if you buy second hand you really don't know what you are buying, and b) they are high performance of the highest degree (for not a lot of cash per BHP) and things will break if they are tampered with.

At the end of the day, would you swop your Scooby for anything else ? (now there's a question for someone !!).

Glenn "still in love with his STIv5"
Old 21 September 2000, 11:02 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

I can't really comment on the problems you've had other than to say my MY99 now has 10k on the clock with no problems.

Any car, if tuned and driven hard will start to break things, it's a fact of life. the nice thing with a scoob is (well for UK cars) you get a 3 years warranty so you can cane it and if it breaks it gets fixed.

I am planning lots of track days in mine so maybe something will break eventually, if so warranty will pay. I'll probably change it when the warranty expires (or keep it, tune it to bu99ery and buy a fiesta for day to day!)

In general though, it has that "it ain't gonna let you down" feel to it. my last car had that too, a Nissan Almera GTI, which I sold after 3 years, 45k on the clock, a not a single, solitary fault in all that time.

My previous car, a Rover 214, now don't get me started... I ended up praying before I got in it

Cheers

Simon