Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Rear bumper - When did it change?

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2000, 01:54 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following an accident, my car has had its rear bumper replaced by a bodyshop. It's a MY97 4-door, and previously had a smooth rear bumper. The new one has a pronounced moulding around it. The bodyshop claim that this is the only one that they can get hold of through Subaru.

Does anyone know when the bumper design changed, or which model the new bumper is from?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew.
Old 25 September 2000, 04:28 PM
BrewandBake
Scooby Regular

I believe that the smoother bumpers came in on the facelifted cars (MY97 onwards) It is a little known fact that the rear bumpers were indeed altered on the 4 door - most people think it was just the front that received a make-over.
Though its such a subtle change I cannot imagine why they did it.

Brew.
Old 25 September 2000, 04:54 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

oh dear - I fear that they have fitted a pre-98 rear bumper (as correctly stated above) - with the moulded lines along its length ...that means that your car will be instantly recognisable as having been repaired by someone 'in the know' - ie the bumper doesn't go with the rest of the car... I would kick and scream and demand either the proper replacement or compensation.

sorry to be so negative - I guess you are itching to get your car back and didn't want hassle like this!

good luck

Paul W
Old 25 September 2000, 05:23 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Not just the 4 door Brew, the bumpers were also changed on the 5 doors. Facelift 97> cars have smooth bumpers. I would complain too, they've given you an old style rear bumper (no doubt picked it up cheaper as most would probably fit facelift bumpers in the event of a prang).

Good luck,
Nito