ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Shake down / Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2000, 05:45 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All

Took the rally car for a shake down yesterday.

A HUGE thank you to..

John Felstead
Paul Wilson
Mark (Tyres Northampton)
Tyres Northampton

also to Paul Curson for arranging the venue.

-----

The weather was a little unkind and turned a dirt track into a mud bath. I think we managed about 50mph at one point!!!

A few minor things broke and we found a couple of extra things that need doing so it was a succesful shake down.

The car on the whole behaved very well and ran well all day.

We had a VERY big moment at one point, although the rally car was still on the trailer being towed by Paul!!! We all emptied out trousers after the snake from hell!!!

Paul did an excellent job though and brought the thing back safely! *phew*

So even though Paul never sat in the drivers seat of the rally car, he actually got it about as sideways as me!!

thanks again to all who helped, I apreciated it.

regards

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 25 September 2000).]
Old 25 September 2000, 06:13 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Look Simon, you can't have JF help you and then not have something go pop. You owe it to him (just kidding JF)

Best of luck with your project. What rallies do you intend to do ? Can you elaborate on your plans (if you did earlier, I'm sorry for the daft question)

PS: maybe Paul was - in his own way - applying for a drivers job with his sideways action ?
Old 25 September 2000, 06:37 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hiya

I bought the car because I have never actually owned a rally car before, always driven other peoples. This is nice, but it there is always a bit of pressure to either perform or not crash (or both).

So the idea is just to go and have a giggle humiliating more powerful cars and not have to worry about pleasing teams or saving panels (although I have to say that one is still important ).

The car is going to do a stint at RGS motorsport now for a couple of weeks to be finally sorted and then we will book up an event.

What we really want for a first event is something like a single venue but on a loose surface. If anyone knows of one, please let us know.

I'll keep you informed

Cheers

Simon
Old 25 September 2000, 06:40 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

The only thing that went pop was a rear tyre. Would you beleive that was one of my Westfield tyres that simon had borrowed (knicked, you ba$tard) from my stash at tyres northampton.

It was a worthwhile exercise as a shake down, found a couple of minor issues that are easily sorted, the main systems are working well now.

All i can say on pauls "driving" is thank god i was in the tyre van. Mark and I spent more time laughing at the trailers antics than watching our route, we didnt have a clue where we were.

Whats orange and white and leaves a brown trail behind it?
Old 25 September 2000, 07:45 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Had a good time Simon, and it can't be a coincidence that the alternator wires MELTED and JF was there

Barely noticed the trailer on the back on the way home, surprised a few people in Milton Keynes

See ya for the next event