Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Helping a Newbie choose a Scooby!

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2005, 10:42 PM
Bodhi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helping a Newbie choose a Scooby!

Hi Guys,

I've literally just joined the forum as I am potentially in the market for my first Impreza.

However, i'm a bit lost. I know my cars, generally, but the Impreza market is a pretty complicated place once you factor in imports, modifications and everything else. Anyway, basicallly I have anwhere between £6-10K to spend, and want the best bang for my buck. The STi seems the logical choice, with the P1 being a little out of my price range. However, it would be really useful for me if I could see a list of all of the various models (both UK and Import spec) and their relative performance specifications.

I currently own a 2000 W-Plate TT thats been heavily modified, and I'm getting rid of it because its not much fun to drive, and I need to free up a few readies. (it is very quick though)

If anyone can point me in the direction of a web site or forum post that explains the difference between the various models, or can just tell me directly, I would really appreciate it. I do like the look of the RB5 though!

Cheers.
Old 05 October 2005, 10:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RB5 has always been my favourite!

I favour the UK cars only.

A TT owner eh?? Interesting, as I humiliated one of your fellow TT R32 Quattro owners at the weekend ... in my standard UK Impreza Wagon with the family all aboard ...... wasn't you was it?? and thats why you want to buy into the best car this side of the pearly gates??

Pete
Old 05 October 2005, 10:47 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

lol.
Old 05 October 2005, 10:54 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Bodhi
Hi Guys,

I've literally just joined the forum as I am potentially in the market for my first Impreza.

However, i'm a bit lost. I know my cars, generally, but the Impreza market is a pretty complicated place once you factor in imports, modifications and everything else. Anyway, basicallly I have anwhere between £6-10K to spend, and want the best bang for my buck. The STi seems the logical choice, with the P1 being a little out of my price range. However, it would be really useful for me if I could see a list of all of the various models (both UK and Import spec) and their relative performance specifications.

I currently own a 2000 W-Plate TT thats been heavily modified, and I'm getting rid of it because its not much fun to drive, and I need to free up a few readies. (it is very quick though)

If anyone can point me in the direction of a web site or forum post that explains the difference between the various models, or can just tell me directly, I would really appreciate it. I do like the look of the RB5 though!

Cheers.
if you want something fun to drive then for that price you can pick up a mint sti type r or type ra. both extremely fast and got a driver controlled central diff for a proper driving experience, both got supercar performance and value for money, but you can get all the info you need from this link:

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

hope it helps
Old 05 October 2005, 10:57 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AND you get a 'Change Gear NOW ********' light thrown in!!

Pete
Old 05 October 2005, 11:12 PM
Bodhi
Scooby Newbie

So, something like this then?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA...QQcmdZViewItem

What sort of price should this realistically go for, and would you buy it (out of curiosity)?
Old 06 October 2005, 01:10 AM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

I would go for a late (99/00) STI and as mentioned lookout for R and RA models. I personaly brought the a UK model and within a few months wished I had donethe STi thing instead.

you could get a "bug" eye for the money, they are far more refined but a little bit less fun for it, all depends what you want and how you rate the "bugs" looks.
Old 06 October 2005, 01:22 AM
Sideways, the way forward
Scooby Regular

i agree with r4lly...dont rule out imports as they are regarded as being superior to uk spec imprezas and are generally cheaper... but harder to shop for. defo consider a version 5 sti type r. they are the daddy really... even over an RA cos the type r is a 2 door (retna shell) and looks more slick! The fact that its a 2 door really compliments the massive sti rear wing that you tend to find. Not a fan of 4 doors with huge rear wings, asthetically they dont pull it off for me.

The RA is a true driving machine with its lightened body and looks far more subtle and less in your face. The type r i am told is very different from other imprezas to drive.

find one in white with gold rims!!!!

did i mention..they are rapid!

The RB5 is a nice uk option though..not as hardcore but still a fine and rare example.

I think (being a P1 owner) that considering the ammount of imprezas on the road the fact that ur driving a 2 door makes it a little bit special as 2 door scoobs are very rare! (only the type R/P1/22B) how often do u see them about....
Old 06 October 2005, 01:56 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bodhi
So, something like this then?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA...QQcmdZViewItem

What sort of price should this realistically go for, and would you buy it (out of curiosity)?
yeh nice car, probably go for about 8k or therabouts, V ltd is a nice one to get too, makes that little bit more special. The advertisements wrong its actually a type R not RA, but the type R does stand out a lot more as sideways the way forwards said above..... i have an sti 3 RA only because i couldn't register a type R from japan, perfomance wise i do not regret going for the RA one bit, its an absolute animal, but for the looks i would have got the type R......
Old 06 October 2005, 02:01 PM
ImprezaRob
Scooby Regular

If you are after a UK only car, i think the RB5 is a good bet.

If its an Import, then an STi 4, something like that?
Old 06 October 2005, 03:59 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll be lucky to get a clean Type-R for £10k, and you certainly won't get a Version 5 for that money.
Old 06 October 2005, 04:12 PM
wadsy69
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bohdi
If you're intersted I have an STi RA 4 that I will be selling soon. Let me know and I can mail you spec and pics if you'd like.
Cheers
Wad
Old 06 October 2005, 04:22 PM
wadsy69
Scooby Regular

Sorry - Bodhi
Old 06 October 2005, 04:35 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

why do you only have 6-8k if you are selling that TT?
Old 06 October 2005, 05:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Mybe im blind....i thought id seen it discussed recently that 2 door RAs existed
Old 06 October 2005, 07:58 PM
Bodhi
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wadsy69
Bohdi
If you're intersted I have an STi RA 4 that I will be selling soon. Let me know and I can mail you spec and pics if you'd like.
Cheers
Wad
Hi wadsy69. Yes, I am interested. Please feel free to forward me details.

Cheers.
Old 06 October 2005, 08:02 PM
Bodhi
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
why do you only have 6-8k if you are selling that TT?
Hiya Donnie, Actually I have up to about £10K, but I am just about to get a mortgage on a property and need to free up a few quid by selling the TT, hence I am looking for something that will keep the smile on my face (or even make it bigger) whilst costing a few grand less than i'll hopefully get for the TT.

Anyone want to buy a 2000 W-Plate TT225 thats pushing around 275BHP for £14.5Kono? It's a stunning car, if you like TTs.
Old 06 October 2005, 11:42 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

*cough*
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=460569

Midlife.....
Old 07 October 2005, 01:46 AM
Sideways, the way forward
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Mybe im blind....i thought id seen it discussed recently that 2 door RAs existed
they do WRX type RA V LTD.... is a 2 door.

check specs on http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

every scooby owner should read this sacred manuscript.
Old 07 October 2005, 02:00 AM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

I favour the UK cars only.
Have you ever drove an sti type r or a spec c mate?
Old 07 October 2005, 12:51 PM
Mr_ R
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CyprusScooby
You'll be lucky to get a clean Type-R for £10k, and you certainly won't get a Version 5 for that money.
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=461012
Old 07 October 2005, 01:37 PM
Bodhi
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Nice, but ideally i'm after a Blue Type R 1998-99 with less that 60K (ideally around 40-50K) on the clock, in tip-top condition, with air-con and electric windows. Anthracite wheels would also be a distinct advantage, but this seems very rare on anything other than a P1 or the RB5 so i'm not too fussed about that. Standard form if possible, but i'm not afraid of mods if they've been done properly by well known professionals and the car has been properly serviced.

Pretty specific I know, but then it helps to be, I think. So if anybody has one of these for sale, let me know. I'm based in London and distance is obviously an issue but I will travel for the right car. I'll go over 10K if the car really grabs my attention.
Old 07 October 2005, 01:48 PM
Mr_ R
Scooby Newbie

keep an eye out on autotrader/top marques and of course the fs section here... blue type-r's are quite common as its every1's fav colour.. check out the type-r thread in the members gallery.. took me ages to read it all but some cracking pics of SN members with type-R's.

Cheers
Old 07 October 2005, 05:25 PM
spireite
BANNED

i have a 02 plate prodrive sti type uk you can have £10500 grand