Car Magazine Nov issue - MY06 Sti V R32 v BM130i

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2005, 10:26 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Magazine Nov issue - MY06 Sti V R32 v BM130i

Good comparison really...

They quote the MY06 Sti price as being £26,400 - which is nice (not!). and with the Golf at £25 and the BeeM at £26.5, they are pretty good comparison.

1st was Golf

2nd was the BM

3rd was the Scooby

Their sum up of the Golf is that its by far the best package as an all rounder and reading the article, it's hard to disagree - particularly as they don't talk about depreciation, which we know who would lose that big time.

Andy
Old 06 October 2005, 11:52 AM
thanuk
Scooby Newbie

I found this a strange test - but I haven't driven the Golf or BMW though.

They say the Scooby is much the fastest and best to drive when out for a blast but complain about body roll, which I've not noticed, and inconsistent cornering. I assume this is a result of the DCCD moving power back and forwards.

They praise the Golf's handling, in particular the consistency of it's gentle understeer. Basically the Golf is FWD with power only going to the back when traction is lost - not a great system to my mind.

You can't argue that the Golf has a nice interior and looks nice, in a conservative kind of way, but nothing in the test suggested to me it was much of a driver's car but then it won.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:18 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

I have owned a Mk4 R32 and currently own an 05STI+PPP.

Personaly I feel the STI is faster,more fun and more practical - but the interior isn't as solid and it hasn't got leather (neither of which are an issue to me).

But there you go - I drove the R32 for a year and have driven the STI for 9 months - what do I know.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:21 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by thanuk

They say the Scooby is much the fastest and best to drive when out for a blast but complain about body roll, which I've not noticed, and inconsistent cornering. I assume this is a result of the DCCD moving power back and forwards.

They praise the Golf's handling, in particular the consistency of it's gentle understeer. Basically the Golf is FWD with power only going to the back when traction is lost - not a great system to my mind.

You can't argue that the Golf has a nice interior and looks nice, in a conservative kind of way, but nothing in the test suggested to me it was much of a driver's car but then it won.
I agree, its hard to reconcile how they seemingly praise the Scooby for being the best drivers car, then put it third. I guess other areas in which the scooby would not fare so well e.g. Imagine and depreciation, oh, and running costs, figured largely in their judgement.

NS04
Old 06 October 2005, 10:13 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thanuk

I've been out of my 03 WRX SL PPP (+Prodrive springs & 18" wheels) for over 6 months now having changed it for an Audi S4 (B6). I sold it because I could'nt live with the excessive body roll and over light steering. Maybe that's where they are coming from?