ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

tsl experience

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2005, 10:29 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up tsl experience

just got back last night from having chargecooler put on my sti 03 tsl 333, apart from being stuck on the m1 for an hour the car drives spot on near instant power more driveable and sixth gear is now for acceleration.
they even booked b+b for me which has a superb breakfast and help parking with my front splitter,i would recommend to anyone the car is superb to drive unfortunately my wife has noticed the pre rad!! now what else to do?
martin
Old 06 October 2005, 11:25 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
just got back last night from having chargecooler put on my sti 03 tsl 333, apart from being stuck on the m1 for an hour the car drives spot on near instant power more driveable and sixth gear is now for acceleration.
they even booked b+b for me which has a superb breakfast and help parking with my front splitter,i would recommend to anyone the car is superb to drive unfortunately my wife has noticed the pre rad!! now what else to do?
martin
Sounds good - I've been thinking about this myself

Is that the only mod? or had the car been remapped before?

I assume it was mapped for the charge cooler?
Old 06 October 2005, 11:40 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

So what is the charge cooler doing then?

As other comment was it re-mapped after?

Gary
Old 06 October 2005, 12:44 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Faster acceleration, smoother power delivery, higher top speed and no lag - these are the main benefits from fitting the new TSL chargecooler to the Impreza STi / WRX.

The Theory behind the chargecooler is that reducing the air intake temperature into the turbo is an efficient way of securing more boost and more power. To achieve this without extensive pipework and adjustments to the engine bay while retaining optimum air flow, TSL has developed a combined air-to-air and water cooled chargecooler which replaces the standard intercooler and uses many of the existing fittings.

The water is supplied from an alloy header tank fitted on the front bulkhead and is circulated by an ignition-controlled pump through an additional front-mounted radiator and back through the chargecooler. All components have been specially designed by TSL and manufactured from the highest quality components to WRC standard.

Fitted with the new chargecooler, the intake temperature on TSL’s test ‘05 STi remained consistently 12 to 15° below that of the standard intercooler despite high ambients and hard acceleration. As a result, boost is developed both earlier and for longer in the rev. range and the ignition can be advanced by several degrees. On the road, this translates into extended acceleration and immediate throttle response in every gear; the car just keeps on pulling. Top speeds are reached faster than ever before and there is virtually no turbo lag
Old 06 October 2005, 12:45 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

or so the website says anyway
Old 06 October 2005, 12:56 PM
Tracktive Solutions
Scooby Regular

Hi Martin

Thanks for the kind words.

So glad you are liking the extra torque and power.

I thought the additional front grille might have deflected the Eagle eyed one away from the pre rad, but she is obviously too good for us!!!

Gav...
Old 06 October 2005, 01:10 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Any chance of some pics showing this mod? Sounds like quite a good idea really

Don't think that there is much prospect of me getting one soon, I only have a UK classic. <shrug>
Old 06 October 2005, 01:21 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Hi there Gav.

How is trouser getting on?

As an aside do you have power run, before/after info on the chargecooler. Might be nice to see the actual gains which can be had, rather than school boy, it pulls like a train now info.

Always weary of people having spent large chunks of money then raving about the results, sometimes to justify their own purchase...

Not aimed at you Martin but £1,250 is alot of money to shell out .....

Gary
Old 06 October 2005, 02:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Red face

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Hi there Gav.

As an aside do you have power run, before/after info on the chargecooler. Might be nice to see the actual gains which can be had, rather than school boy, it pulls like a train now info.

Always weary of people having spent large chunks of money then raving about the results, sometimes to justify their own purchase...

Gary
I agree Gary. I'm not an expert by any means, but it was my understanding that the point of decreasing intake temps was to reduce the cars susceptibility to heat soak caused by the location of the TMIC which saps power, not to increase power per se. I guess one advantage of having colder air getting into the engine is it presemably means you can squeeze a little more power out of a map safely.....but then that requires a further remap?

At £1200 I'd be inclined to go for a FMIC, which -I'm guessing- would reduce temps further and overcome the problem of airflow missing the intercooler at high speeds.

Not intended as a knock against a TSL product, I'm sure there are advantage to the chargecooler arrangement that I just don't know about.

NS04
Old 06 October 2005, 02:47 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Note to say I currently have a TSL333 car and im happy with it, well other than the fact that its a Subaru of course

Gary
Old 06 October 2005, 03:07 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
Faster acceleration, smoother power delivery, higher top speed and no lag - these are the main benefits from fitting the new TSL chargecooler to the Impreza STi / WRX.

The Theory behind the chargecooler is that reducing the air intake temperature into the turbo is an efficient way of securing more boost and more power. To achieve this without extensive pipework and adjustments to the engine bay while retaining optimum air flow, TSL has developed a combined air-to-air and water cooled chargecooler which replaces the standard intercooler and uses many of the existing fittings.

The water is supplied from an alloy header tank fitted on the front bulkhead and is circulated by an ignition-controlled pump through an additional front-mounted radiator and back through the chargecooler. All components have been specially designed by TSL and manufactured from the highest quality components to WRC standard.

Fitted with the new chargecooler, the intake temperature on TSL’s test ‘05 STi remained consistently 12 to 15° below that of the standard intercooler despite high ambients and hard acceleration. As a result, boost is developed both earlier and for longer in the rev. range and the ignition can be advanced by several degrees. On the road, this translates into extended acceleration and immediate throttle response in every gear; the car just keeps on pulling. Top speeds are reached faster than ever before and there is virtually no turbo lag
thanks phil saves me saying it
martin
Old 06 October 2005, 03:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Note to say I currently have a TSL333 car and im happy with it, well other than the fact that its a Subaru of course

Gary
It's Ok Gary, I don't think there is a northloop in the average McD's car park, so you should escape the chav image!!

NS04
Old 06 October 2005, 03:16 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

So what is the charge cooler doing then?

As other comment was it re-mapped after?

Gary
i had to have it remapped so ignition could be advanced due to extra cooling therefore power comes in earlier and does feel more powerful particularly mid/upperrange where it now pulls much better towards redline.
it is hard to say re exact bhp figures as i do not know if dyno would take count of chargecooler as most dynos have fan at scoop or at fmic not both.
i was tempted by td05 etc but personally thought this would overstress my engine,tsl are not cheap but you do pay for quality work/engineering (despite me thinking the motorsport qualified tech was an apprentice!) and i am always happy with the result although never happy with spending money which being realistic i would never get back on selling it
pics are on tsl website-ie i am not good at computers!
martin
Old 06 October 2005, 03:16 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
It's Ok Gary, I don't think there is a northloop in the average McD's car park, so you should escape the chav image!!

NS04
pmsl
Old 06 October 2005, 03:19 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

I agree Gary. I'm not an expert by any means, but it was my understanding that the point of decreasing intake temps was to reduce the cars susceptibility to heat soak caused by the location of the TMIC which saps power, not to increase power per se. I guess one advantage of having colder air getting into the engine is it presemably means you can squeeze a little more power out of a map safely.....but then that requires a further remap?

At £1200 I'd be inclined to go for a FMIC, which -I'm guessing- would reduce temps further and overcome the problem of airflow missing the intercooler at high speeds.

Not intended as a knock against a TSL product, I'm sure there are advantage to the chargecooler arrangement that I just don't know about.

NS04
i did think about fmic but decided against it to be different , i do not like the extra lag you get with it or the look of them to be honest and having been to tsl twice before i am happy with the products and their on road ability
martin
Old 06 October 2005, 03:21 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Hi there Gav.

Gary
fair enough,really it is the same as ever-try it out yourself and then see if it worth it,i had a clear visa card liked it and got it
martin
Old 06 October 2005, 03:22 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi there Gav.

Gary
you could spend that amount on ap brakes gary?
Old 06 October 2005, 03:29 PM
New_scooby_04

i did think about fmic but decided against it to be different , i do not like the extra lag you get with it or the look of them to be honest and having been to tsl twice before i am happy with the products and their on road ability
martin
Fair enough, that's as good a reason as any to try a company's products and you're happy with it, which is all that matters really, irrespective of the relative pros and cons of TMIC vs FMIC

Enjoy it mate

NS04
Old 06 October 2005, 03:44 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

you could spend that amount on ap brakes gary?
Its yet to be proven to me that they will work in the way I need them too. I have long stopped spending money on hearsay
Old 06 October 2005, 03:49 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Talking

Fair enough, that's as good a reason as any to try a company's products and you're happy with it, which is all that matters really, irrespective of the relative pros and cons of TMIC vs FMIC

Enjoy it mate

NS04
oh yes i am enjoying it!!
martin
Old 06 October 2005, 03:51 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Its yet to be proven to me that they will work in the way I need them too. I have long stopped spending money on hearsay
i thought you were the buyer of the ebay brick from carousel!!graham had a laugh about that as he used to race at the ring!
martin