ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Mugs and Their Money - Parted by New Cars

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2005, 12:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Mugs and Their Money - Parted by New Cars

I did the same ....... the year was 2000 and I bought a NEW Impreza Turbo.

The market then, though, was different than the market now ..... 1 year old Impreza's were selling for a very small amount less than new - so, new made sense then. You also got to run the car in properly.

These days, however, the Impreza has a lot fewer buyers .... therefore the price of a 1year old Impreza is now a good chunk lower than new - so, only a mug would buy new?

Is buying a New Impreza these days just a pastime for the silly and rich??

I'm rich ................ but I ain't silly

Of course, my MY2000 Impreza is not worth a great deal ...... but, it only loses money when I sell it (and I ain't about to do that in a hurry!!)

Pete
Old 16 October 2005, 12:26 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about "silly and rich", but when will people learn, that if you buy a (reasonably) expensive car brand new, you can't expect to sell it a year later without taking a large loss on it. I've lost count of the number of post's iv'e read on here about people buying cars, and then moaning that when they want to sell them 6 months later, they've lost loads of money on them, if you want to save your money, don't keep buying cars.
Old 16 October 2005, 12:43 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Pete if you were that rich you wouldn't be concerned about loosing money on a new car.
Depreciation is not unique to cars or imprezas its a fact of life on many goods
Old 16 October 2005, 12:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deano555
Pete if you were that rich you wouldn't be concerned about loosing money on a new car.
Depreciation is not unique to cars or imprezas its a fact of life on many goods
The rich are VERY concerned about losing money!!! The poor don't care!!!

Depreciation on many goods, yes - thats true .... when was the last time you spent £28,500 on a Kettle??

No, the fact is - the car is probably the 2nd most expensive item people buy - so, what happens to that is IMPORTANT!

Pete
Old 16 October 2005, 12:50 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

mate i do it all the time!! but im no mug!! i live in germany so get them tax free so not so bad, but still lose money. If you can then do!!! i blame the wife as she will only have a new car as she doesnt know who or what has happened in that car before us!! silly things like wiping bogies on the seats!! and other stuff too,lol. Willsy
Old 16 October 2005, 12:54 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I've lost more money than I care to remember buying and selling cars!!! But at the end of the day that's all it is money!! At least I've got my health and stunning good looks.......................................LOL!!
dave
Old 16 October 2005, 01:09 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
The rich are VERY concerned about losing money!!! The poor don't care!!!

Depreciation on many goods, yes - thats true .... when was the last time you spent £28,500 on a Kettle??

No, the fact is - the car is probably the 2nd most expensive item people buy - so, what happens to that is IMPORTANT!

Pete
If you spent £28500 on kettles (alot of kettles I know ) I bet you would loose more money after 6 months if you tried to sell them.
I still reckon if you are really rich loosing money on a car is a way of showing that you are really really rich If you think scoobys are bad you could buy a £70,000 bmw 7 series and loose over half of that in less than a year.
Deano.

Trending Topics

Old 16 October 2005, 03:53 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

......anything new on the horizon pete.?......

Last edited by dpb; 16 October 2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 16 October 2005, 04:06 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

We all have different priorities in life. For some it's a new car each year, with others every penny gets spent on the house, for some it's sending the children to public school university, etc. etc.

I've never purchased a new car, for the very reason that I know would lose a considerable amount of money in just one year. I tend to keep my cars for at least 2 years and have my moneys worth out of them and enjoy spending the money I'm not losing through depreciation on modifications
Old 16 October 2005, 04:15 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

A brilliant philosophy for living your life. Always worrying about how much something is losing year on year and what it's costing you

The question is who cares really?

You buy a car new because you want to enjoy the ownership advantages of being the first to have it. The smell, the running in, the joys of feeling the engine loosen up, the prestige of having a new car. If you are always worrying about the resale value or depreciation you are not buying a car for you, you are buying it for the person after you. I'm sorry but that is cr@p, you buy a car from new for the above reasons and then drive it the way YOU want to until you don't want it anymore, yes you are aware that it will loose money but who cares really, you have enjoyed some wonderful motoring and are happy to move onto your next car.

I personally would prefer to buy a new car, rather that one that somebody else has finished with. I don't care if a new car looses shed loads of money or leaves me out of pocket - I was aware of that from the moment I was old enough to understand economics. You buy a new car for you, and should drive it for you, not worry about it's resale value.
Old 16 October 2005, 04:25 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Wink

You must ave noticed Pete ONLY goes for refurbished.....
Old 16 October 2005, 04:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

My mate is on the verge of buying an Brand New Impreza Turbo for £14500, yes, that's right £14500.

Sometimes buying new does make sense...even if it is an EU parallel import, it's the same car.

Although I told him not to touch Imprezas with a barge pole
Old 16 October 2005, 05:36 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Unless I could justify the loss cash by just driving it off the forecourt, I would never buy a brand new car. I'm far from poor but I just don't see the point in buying new and losing £4k by the time you've got it home.

Why not buy a 1 year old car that still has two years warranty and is already run in. For the same money you'd spend on a new one, you get get a better model or higher spec car and an extended warranty, plus cash to spare for upgrades if desired.

As long as your patient and shrewd when you buy second hand (do you trust the seller ran it in properly, etc), you can't go wrong (IMHO).
Old 16 October 2005, 05:54 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Is buying a New Impreza these days just a pastime for the silly and rich??
I think you'll find the genuinely rich people around dont buy Subaru's full stop... they arent a brand with much prestige, especially the Impreza which has suffered a major image dent recently becoming the chav-choice cruiser!

It is surprising how many people just 'dont care' how much money their car loses them, but Im happy for them to not care so I can buy their nearly new cars after theyve taken the initial hit in value loss
Old 16 October 2005, 06:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

too right, 18 month old for choice..
Old 16 October 2005, 06:51 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Of course, my MY2000 Impreza is not worth a great deal ...... but, it only loses money when I sell it (and I ain't about to do that in a hurry!!)

Pete
Or until someone steals it or crashes into you and writes it off. When you get the settlement from the insurance company, you'll then know how much you've lost.

Where ever would you find such a pristine example as yours to replace it with Pete ?

(cant be many 50K 00MY turbos on their original pads and discs......)
Old 16 October 2005, 10:12 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

The thing is who buys a car with the intention of selling it!!!!, if you buy a new car at least get your moneys worth out of it, if you buy a car it's cause you want it not because you think i'm gonna sell it in 6 months, who really thinks like that.
Old 16 October 2005, 10:15 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Classic
(cant be many 50K 00MY turbos on their original pads and discs......)
Starting to sound a little like Triggers sweeping brush..... I've only had four new heads and three new handles
Old 16 October 2005, 10:32 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Somebody has to buy the new ones for there to be the nearly new/sh ones.
Old 16 October 2005, 10:49 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

Very true. Without these people the (very beneficial) used car business wouldn't exist. All hail them!
Old 17 October 2005, 11:54 AM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

You also got to run the car in properly.

Pete

yeah but at 60k shes all run in now pete, time to start taking her over the BIG 3 now!!

now if you didn't spend all your existance sat in front of your pc in your subaru jacket and woolly hat, you could of had time to get the owners manual from the picture frame and read the run in procedure!

stevie

Last edited by stevie boy; 17 October 2005 at 02:20 PM.