ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

autocar 06 test

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2005, 02:07 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy autocar 06 test

just got around to reading autocar-they do not rate new sti/wrx highly and then say they have equal length headers therefore losing flat four burble?
true or not?
martin
Old 16 October 2005, 02:31 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

I don't think the guy reviewing the STi realy 'got it' so to speak. Slating the interior and saying it feels dated.
Old 16 October 2005, 02:58 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by p1doc
just got around to reading autocar-they do not rate new sti/wrx highly and then say they have equal length headers therefore losing flat four burble?
true or not?
martin
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they take it in pref to the VXR and say that the WRX was a muchg quicker point to point machine than the VXR and if the conditions were bad, you may as well leave the VRX at home, such is the magnitude of the difference between it and the VXR.

They did pick up on the interior....wow, that's original! :-) and the lack of refinement relative to the VXR, but AFAIK they're wrong about the equal length headers, all UK spec cars retain the unequal length headers. Ironically, it's the refinement and the typically quiet std backbox that Subaru fit to UK WRXs that mutes the burble....it's there though, waiting to be unleashed ;-)

They praised the WRX as a drivers car and choose it over the VXR, they just said it was time for a good restyle and better quality plastics for the interior. Fair comment I guess.

Personally, I'd prefer it if Subaru spentt the development money on the oily bits! I didn't get a scooby to boost about a Bose Hi-fi or Wilton carpets, or fake wood dash! :-)

NS04
Old 16 October 2005, 02:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These ones shouldnt have equal length headers, its basically the 2.5, only the JDM cars have equal length headers

Tony
Old 16 October 2005, 06:44 PM
lampshade
Scooby Newbie

Having just read the article, I cant understand why they made the WRX "our choice" when the article slates the subaru and praises the VXR.

To top it all off the writer "pulled rank" and drove home in the VXR cos' he couldnt stand the Scooby???
Old 16 October 2005, 07:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by lampshade
Having just read the article, I cant understand why they made the WRX "our choice" when the article slates the subaru and praises the VXR.

To top it all off the writer "pulled rank" and drove home in the VXR cos' he couldnt stand the Scooby???
But in the important areas i.e. the driving experience, the reviewer pointed to the Scooby being a significantly more capable car in the dry and especially in the wet. Their criticisms of the WRX were aimed at the look of the car and the interior. In a car mag where performance cars are being evaluated, you'd hope that greater weight be ascribed to the driving characteristics than the cosmetics. Thus, the WRX came out on top.

NS04
Old 16 October 2005, 08:25 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lampshade

i know hardly praise when wrx is better than torque steering front wheel drive hot hatch and general gist of sti article was wait till 2007.
it is a real shame as most people will read article and be put off scoobies although have to agree new styling does suit sti better than wrx-what are they trying to do with the front fogs!
martin
Old 16 October 2005, 08:37 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Doing what I do, I tend to pay more attention to what people write about cars and the author themselves. If you look at what these people drive day in and day out, it sometimes reflects in what they write.

The Impreza has been way ahead of it's hot-hatch competitors for some time. They are slowly catching up, but the Impreza definitely takes the photo-finish. It doesn't take a lot to 'enhance' the standard Impreza, taking it to a completely different level (although Subaru don't want you to do this) and leaving the rest in its wake.

When you discover what some of the journos drive as an everyday car you can see where it biases there opinions, sometimes making an unfair judgement of the vehicle they are reviewing.

Martin, I'm not sure about the turbo models having the 4-2-1 equal length exhaust manifold, but the 2.0 sport now has it. I tried to get a look at them, but was unable to with all that anti-nosey stuff in the way. Althought I was told that the backbox and mid-section are the same as the '05 and the rest up front is slightly different (so old stuff won't fit!)

Last edited by highlander68k; 16 October 2005 at 08:56 PM.