ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The new road angel??

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2005, 10:50 PM
elmo505
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The new road angel??

Does any one know if the new road angel is any good?? or does anyone know of any other speed camera warning devices which are better for the same sort of money. not that i plan on speeding (much) but id rather know where ALL the speed camerers are b4 i go through them. ur opinions would be much appreciated
Old 16 October 2005, 11:00 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by elmo505
Does any one know if the new road angel is any good?? or does anyone know of any other speed camera warning devices which are better for the same sort of money. not that i plan on speeding (much) but id rather know where ALL the speed camerers are b4 i go through them. ur opinions would be much appreciated
Better off with a Garmin i3 and download the accident blackspot POI all for £197!
Anything with a laser/radar sensor will be illegal soon, only GPS based systems will remain legal to use.

dipster
Old 16 October 2005, 11:02 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Or there are some very good palm GPS devices available.
I wanted a device that did more than one thing, hence the SatNav with cameras listed.

dipster
Old 16 October 2005, 11:05 PM
elmo505
Scooby Regular

the gps ones wont warn me of hand held guns tho will they???
so your saying warning systems like the road ange will be illegel soon?? whys that??
Old 16 October 2005, 11:09 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Any device that has a laser or radar sensor will be illegal very soon.
GPS only is ok.

dipster
Old 16 October 2005, 11:16 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group....hcsp#P42_6269

dipster
Old 16 October 2005, 11:21 PM
elmo505
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cheers dipster ill keep that in mind when buying one

Trending Topics

Old 17 October 2005, 10:39 AM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
GPS only is ok.

dipster
I have an Origin B2 with RLD. The above is very true but they have not yet made them illegal as the bill has not yet been passed thru the politicians...If they are made illegal it will probably take them a couple of years to enforce it so i would suggest getting one as you will have a couple of years use...
Old 17 October 2005, 10:57 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

GPS only is ok.

dipster
As far as I was aware the road angel 2 is GPS based and has the option of turning off the laser detector part , so you will still be able to use it if the new regs come into force . A good place to get one is from Ebay where you can get refurbished ones with warranty for under £300 (might be cheaper by now !)

Dave
Old 17 October 2005, 11:34 AM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Typer Jim
I have an Origin B2 with RLD. The above is very true but they have not yet made them illegal as the bill has not yet been passed thru the politicians...If they are made illegal it will probably take them a couple of years to enforce it so i would suggest getting one as you will have a couple of years use...
If the legislation gets through I'd have thought Black Spot will offer some sort of exchange deal to owners of Road Angles, given that lots of people will have bought into their subscription packages...

IMO the laser detection part on these is pretty useless anyway, worth you doing a search on line for one of the web sites which have actually done back to back tests on the various options...
Old 17 October 2005, 11:41 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by BrynO
If the legislation gets through I'd have thought Black Spot will offer some sort of exchange deal to owners of Road Angles, given that lots of people will have bought into their subscription packages...

IMO the laser detection part on these is pretty useless anyway, worth you doing a search on line for one of the web sites which have actually done back to back tests on the various options...
I asked the question a while back, and blackspot said the customer will be given the option of a firmware upgrade to completely disable the laser detector.
This will make the new road angle 100% legal again.

dipster
Old 17 October 2005, 11:44 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

From Blackspot

<snip>
On the New Road Angel, the laser alert is integrated, but can be disabled on the unit by the owner, without intervention from ourselves. If the customer wants a more permanent fix, we can send a firmware upgrade via e-mail to remove that functionality, again making the unit 100% legal.
<snip>
Old 17 October 2005, 01:00 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

You could always buy a road angel compact.
£199 but doesn't have radar detection therfore 100% legal.
Nik.

From Blackspot

<snip>
On the New Road Angel, the laser alert is integrated, but can be disabled on the unit by the owner, without intervention from ourselves. If the customer wants a more permanent fix, we can send a firmware upgrade via e-mail to remove that functionality, again making the unit 100% legal.
<snip>
Old 17 October 2005, 05:19 PM
adzipalmer
Scooby Regular

I have a CLASSIC ROAD ANGEL and works amazingly and always picks police up hiding round corners with guns.

Bought mine for £80 on ebay, the best one I have ever had.

Adzi
Old 17 October 2005, 06:19 PM
stu_5
Scooby Regular

Whats the current situation with that bill? It failed to make it through parliment before the last election, and as such it had to go back through all its reading stages all over again didnt it?

Last thing I saw it had got put to the back of the legislative pile and unlikely to be going anywhere for the next few years no?
Old 17 October 2005, 07:54 PM
AndyLyman
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a drive smart mate

http://www.drive-smart.co.uk

Full Europe Gps mapping for all camera types, no ongoing fee for databse upgrades - they are free for life... monthly software upgrades that you upgrade the unit yourself..!

Best laser detection system in the world!

check out the site, its full of info including a users forum regarding all comments and video tests of the laser unit being tested at a massive range..

£299 all in, thats what I use...

and I don't work for Drivesmart.. just a happy user !

Andy
Old 18 October 2005, 08:45 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Also been looking at Drivesmart - buy direct from them and its £189.99, then £49.99 I think for the laser add on.

You can add your own voice alerts as well
Old 18 October 2005, 12:26 PM
jaminrat
Scooby Regular

i havethe road angel 2 sat nav , detection very good
Old 18 October 2005, 01:25 PM
Mjb1957
Scooby Regular

Default Road angel

Hi,

I have a road angel in my scooby and found it to be very effiecient.
It will pick out all cameras, guns etc, it's a litle pricey but is well worth it .

Old 18 October 2005, 01:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Mjb1957
Hi,

I have a road angel in my scooby and found it to be very effiecient.
It will pick out all cameras, guns etc, it's a litle pricey but is well worth it .
Agreed. Mine works very well indeed.

TBH in most instances any Lazer detection feature is redundant as it only takes a split second for the police to get a reading on you from a lazer gun and you simply won't have time to slow down. They are only really useful if i) You get a lucky deflection off a reading taken from another car ii)_ You just want to know the spots where the scamera vans are setting up so as to be forewarned in the future.

NS04
Old 18 October 2005, 04:55 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

Get an inforad its cheap, basic and works well as a GPS only camera system for UK and Europe. £79 from Argos woolies etc.
Old 18 October 2005, 07:06 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Better off with a Garmin i3 and download the accident blackspot POI all for £197!
Anything with a laser/radar sensor will be illegal soon, only GPS based systems will remain legal to use.

dipster
so are decatted exhausts, doesnt stop anyone on here
Old 25 October 2005, 07:03 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Question for someone with a new Road Angel Navigator or someone who knows more about USB than I do:

You update the database in the unit by connecting via USB to your PC. They apparently use USB 2.0. I called Blackspot today and asked if it would also work with USB 1.1, as that is all my PC has (2.0 on the Powerbook but they don't support Macs). They said no, but tbh the girl I spoke to, though trying to be helpful, didn't seem to really understand the question and had to go and ask.

Since the unit doesn't need to draw power from the PC, it ought to be able to use USB 1.1, though of course data transfer will be slower. The USB connector itself is the same, isn't it?

Thanks for the help
Old 29 October 2005, 08:12 AM
turbo wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Father Jack Hackett
Question for someone with a new Road Angel Navigator or someone who knows more about USB than I do:

You update the database in the unit by connecting via USB to your PC. They apparently use USB 2.0. I called Blackspot today and asked if it would also work with USB 1.1, as that is all my PC has (2.0 on the Powerbook but they don't support Macs). They said no, but tbh the girl I spoke to, though trying to be helpful, didn't seem to really understand the question and had to go and ask.

Since the unit doesn't need to draw power from the PC, it ought to be able to use USB 1.1, though of course data transfer will be slower. The USB connector itself is the same, isn't it?

Thanks for the help
As far as I can tell it does require power from the USB port to be able to synch. I say this because when I synch mine the Road Angel display comes on. You could try sourcing a separate power supply, like the Road Angel Classic used to come with, so in theory you could use a USB 1.1 in conjunction with external power. Yes the connectors are the same but slower as you have said.

Last edited by turbo wrx; 29 October 2005 at 08:14 AM.
Old 14 November 2005, 07:45 PM
Kenny
Scooby Regular

...Anything with a laser/radar sensor will be illegal soon, only GPS based systems will remain legal to use.
dipster
And...? Never used to bother anyone when they were illegal before...

Anything that helps prevent yet another gov revenue generation scheme is fine with me

I say get one while it's still easy to!

Last edited by Kenny; 14 November 2005 at 07:48 PM.