ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

From a UK classic turbo to a sti type UK

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2005, 07:27 PM
mr mash
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From a UK classic turbo to a sti type UK

Any of you guys come from a uk classic turbo to a sti type uk(non ppp)????

1. how did the cars compare on mpg (driven day to day now not as if you were in the rally Wales GB)

2. insurance costs?

3. service costs?

4. did you regret the move? and why?

any feedback would be fantastic.

Last edited by mr mash; 30 December 2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 30 December 2005, 07:33 PM
edmy716
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr mash

1. how did the cars compare on mpg (driven day to day now not as if you were in the rally Wales GB)

2. insurance costs?

3. service costs?

4. did you regret the move? any why?

i have just got an sti ppp and i used to have an rb5
no regrets both excellent cars

mpg pretty much same
insurance will be slighly higher (more expensive car/ins 20 as opposed to 17)
services costs similar

the new sti is a much better car all round though, faster/better handling etc, more tuneable.
Old 30 December 2005, 07:34 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Without PPP, the STi is far less enjoyable to own than the classic, and i've owned 3 of them prior to my STi.

Read the post below.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=180143

If you don't want to follow the link, here is my post.

I own an STi7, and was concerned about the benefits of spending another £2K on an already expensive, and already fast car.

Having now spent my money having the PPP kit fitted, in my opinion, having owned a MY98,MY99,MY00 and now the STi7, would say the transformation in nothing short of incredable.

The original useable power band was from about 3750 rpm to 6000rpm (max power), and below the lower figure, power and performance was abysmal.

If you didn't rev the car it simply wouldn't go.
Get caught in the wrong gear overtaking and you would be in trouble.

It was without doubt the most unenjoyable Impreza Turbo I had owned for normal/brisk driving.
It was ALL or NOTHING in the way performance was delivered.
Flat out with 6000rpm changes its fine, but that is tiresome, and a somewhat frenetic way to make progress.

Now after PPP kit, the useable power band goes from 2000rpm to 6000rpm (max power), with the car pulling strongly from 2500rpm.

On the road the car is so tractable it doesn't feel like the same car. It is that much better.

Its possible to short shift at 3500rpm and be moving very briskly.
Not reving your engine to an early grave, and incredibly relaxing swift progress are both possible.

In all out performance figures the two cars may not be miles apart, but in the real world driving situation, then they are poles apart.

Std it would struggle pulling 2000rpm in any gear, ie 40mph in 5th (the same gearing and revs/mph as 4th gear in the classic shape, which they easily pull).
After PPP it will accelerate from that figure smoothly and with a very small increase in rpm begins to accelerate strongly.

These are only my opinions on the mod, I don't work for Subaru, or Prodrive, I work for BAE Sytems, but they may help someone, who like myself was very uncertain about commiting to even more expense.

I had reached the point were the enjoyment I was getting from driving the car was reducing. It was becoming a *** to drive, and I couldn't afford to sell it with the drop in used values meaning I would take a very large hit.

I can honestly say that as for long as I can afford it, there isn't another car I would want to own in preference to the STi7+PPP.

The extra £2000 you spend may stop you selling the car and losing an awful lot more money.

That sounds like my wifes logic, spend money to save money.
But in this case it may be true, in a perverse way.

Cheer MTR

Edited to add that with PPP the STI can become uninsurable with a LARGE number of insurance companies.
Your options to choose different insurance companies are severely reduced.

Last edited by MTR; 30 December 2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 30 December 2005, 07:46 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

I went from my2000 classic turbo to 05jdm sti 05 plate .The classic had hs turbo back exhaust jr panel filter tek3 remap running 18psi on tdo4 .The jdm sti has a lot more power than my classic with mods .The jdm handles a hell of a lot better and performance .I was going to go for a sti with ppp but saw the jdm for sale at garage that sells imports in Scotland so ended up buying the jdm very nice and its was cheaper to insure than sti ppp same year.The jdm sti have more power than sti ppp standard

Last edited by DIPSY; 30 December 2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 30 December 2005, 09:09 PM
mr incredible
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Never look back!

After two UK classic's(96my and 00my) over 7 years i was pushed(thats a lie)
into STI8 ownership by my best mate buying a STI7
My 2000 was as quick around the twists but in a straight line
forget it so i got one.
First thing to say is youll see a lot of petrol stations,240 miles norm STI, 300 miles easy classic turbo.
Insurance for me was about the same.
Service costs for me are less,but because of fuel costs i got a diesel car for everyday work so don't service the Scooby as much.
Never regret buying any Impreza luved both my 2 classics the STI is a more
modern car better interior(aircon a must for Lemans)ace brakes and after a
few mods gets looked at more than my classics.
Never look back!!
Old 30 December 2005, 09:40 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

came from a modified MY97 turbo to 53 plate sti with ppp.

Service costs slightly less (every 10k miles rather than 7.5k) visits to the petrol station and insurance have increased slightly.

Initially (and to some degree I still do) missed my old beast. The current car feels so much better on the fast A and B roads but pretty sure the classic would have had the beating of the sti in a straight line. Certainly dont miss the old (even though they were uprated) brakes or the rattles and squeaks but the newage car just doesn't feel as raw which I think was part of the appeal.

All in all happy with the purchase.
Old 30 December 2005, 09:41 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2. insurance costs?

3. service costs?

I came from a MY00 Wagon to an 02 STi. Answering your questions in turn:

1: MPG = worse in the Sti, but there again you would expect that.
2: Insurance = about the same.
3: Service costs = Cheaper than the wagon, in real terms.
4: Regrets = none whatsoever. Was glad to leave the low rent cabin of the wagon, including those blasted frameless windows that never kept the wind out but made you think you were moving faster than you were, to a better built solution with frameless windows that actually work! The STi is much stiffer and more rewarding to drive in every respect.

If you have reservations then go find a friendly dealer and take several test drives (preferably over long weekends) so you can get a feel for the car.

WB
Old 30 December 2005, 09:45 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

2. insurance costs?

3. service costs?

MY00 UK Turbo. Filled up every week.

MY03 UK STI without PPP every 4 days

2. insurance costs?

MY00. £600

MY03 STI without PPP £850

3. service costs?

MY00 Every 6 months ( 1 year =1st half £100 (oil+filter), 2nd Half £300 - £400 (major) ).

My03 STi UK Every year or 10,000 miles (1st = £200) (2nd = £200). Major service rumoured to be around £500 plus you have to takeinto acount of new brake pads and discs and tire wear.

Didn't regret the move. Although you have to be prepared to pay more for petrol every week. Tires are around £144 each if you want to stay with the same brand (Bridgestones). Ended up paying £288 on 2 new Bridgestones for a puncture on one tyre that could not be repaired. Did find the power a little lacking (261 Bhp), then I got the car PPP'ed (now around 300 Bhp)which tranformed it into a powerful monster. But also got the prodrive spring kit fitted. Now pay a little more for insurance, and have to make sure I can get Optimax petrol. One thingto bare in mind, tyre wear is alittlemore excessive on the STi, and it tram lines quite badly. Apart from that I wouldn't go back to a classic.
Old 30 December 2005, 10:00 PM
~DrEaM~
Scooby Regular

i went from a UK MY98 to a STI 7 JDM, both with same mods, full turbo back decat + TEK3

1. MPG? the best i get from the STI is 22mpg, and 28mpg from the classic

2. insurance costs? well, of course the insurance is alot higher due to its an import

3. service costs? SAME

4. did you regret the move? NO

the bugeye feels safer + comfortable to drive than the classic, but the classic is more fun to drive, more explosive........ the classic with 265hp feels faster than the 330hp bugeye STI ?? or its just me
Old 30 December 2005, 11:13 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

2. insurance costs?

3. service costs?

hi mate, came from a my99 turbo to a my02STi Prodrive+ppp, didn't have the ppp on it at first, here my answers;

1. getting roughly 200miles to a tank, mixed driving.

2. insurance was £650 for std my99 turbo, £750 for STi+ppp with bigger wheels,exhaust, filter.

3.every 10,000mls, just had front pads fitted and 2 new tyres.

4.dont regret it for a second, dont get me wrong loved the classic but the overall feel of the STi is better for me.more comfortable, more refined and less cabin noise(needed for the afterburner ). new age cars are more robust which was a factor in my purchase(2 kids).

alot of what MTR posted earlier makes alot of sense, loved the my99 turbo i had, love the STi a bit more

my99 turbo- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7/DSCF0095.jpg

my02 STi-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7/DSCF0184.jpg

Lee
Old 30 December 2005, 11:28 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

To answer your specific points:

1. MPG on first three cars all bought brand new and std, 25mpg ish, STi (PPP) 22mpg. Never checked it as std 265ps.

2. Insurance costs. When swapping from MY00 my then company would not cover the std STi and cancelled my policy.
I was 43 years old with no points, and 20 odd plus years provable no claims bonus!!!
After adding PPP pretty much most companies refuse to quote, or quote silly.
For a guide go onto confused.com and see if anyone will quote you.
When I tried this only 1 company quoted SILLY money, the rest refused to quote.
I don't know what a classic would cost compared to mine now.

3. Servicing costs higher. New front disks at £208 +vat EACH, front pads at £170 +vat + fitting, at 30,000 miles.
Rear pads were £140 + vat + fitting.

4. Do i regret it.
In pure monetary terms yes.
I went from a £20K car to a £29.5K car (its a MY02 Prodrive style with PPP) which has lost £17K in depreciation in 3 1/2 years.
In no way is it £9.5K better than my MY00 (almost 50% more expensive to buy!!!).
In enjoyment terms, then as I have previously posted, for as long as I can afford it, there is nothing else I would want from a car.

Just one other point, two weeks before I picked the STi up, I had chance to compare my std MY00 against my friends decatted MY02 Prodrive style STi which he had picked up brand new a couple of months before.
He couldn't lose me, and he used to race FI stockcars, so is not a timid driver.

I was somewhat gutted. I had comitted to 4 years HP on a car which on the roads I use was only slightly quicker than my old car.
The brakes are better..

Don't be seduced by the 'STi' badging, as a lot of people on here are.

On a recent run out, one of the SMACS group was amazed that his 280bhp RB5 (modified obviously) was the same performance (acceleration) as my 300bhp STi.
I wasn't.

I have organised Northern Meets 3,4,5,6, and 7 and have had chance to compare my various Imprezas with all manner of 'better/faster' Imprezas and to be honest there is not much to choose between them if you all drive on the safer side of suicidal.
Non has ever left me, but I have in the past driven on the wrong side of suicidal (at Donnington) but then I probably wouldn't lose them either.
Even an extra 50bhp round Donnington will not let you pass the slower car unless you want to risk a collision, so on the road the differential is even less.

To sumarise, a std STi is not worth the money,(and they are horrible to drive) a PPP'd STi is not worth the money (but nice to drive), when compared to the performance/pound you can get from a classic.

It boils down to 'if it floats your boat' and you can afford it (thats the cruncher) then buy one.

Cheers
MTR now in my ninth year of Impreza Turbo ownership, so I must like them, even if it sounds like I don't.

Last edited by MTR; 30 December 2005 at 11:33 PM.