Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is There Anything Better Than Beating Someone Off The Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2006, 08:33 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Is There Anything Better Than Beating Someone Off The Lights?

I think there is!! ...................

Sit there, don't accelerate like your **** is on fire ..... and watch the 'competitor' scream away, full throttle, with gear cogs and big ends flying out the rear end

It's quite a serene pleasure .................... for when you get older, maybe??

Pete
Old 17 January 2006, 08:35 AM
jockc79
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah think that is an old guy thing where is the adrenalin rush there
Old 17 January 2006, 08:38 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jockc79
yeah think that is an old guy thing where is the adrenalin rush there
Ha Ha Ha ..... it's the quiet pleasure that comes from knowing the other driver has made themselves look like a right **** - racing NOTHING

Pete
Old 17 January 2006, 08:42 AM
RedRexWRX
Scooby Regular

Ha ha. I must be getting old. Or maybe more light footed to save on juice., as ive found it more interesting now to let people blast of the lights while i just toootal off.

Then put it into second and blast past them lol.
Old 17 January 2006, 08:43 AM
jockc79
Scooby Regular

dont see the appeal but whatever makes u happy now rush in quick i am sure star trek is on
Old 17 January 2006, 09:13 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

I do that, but seeing as most of the time i am driving my work car. i have to look like i want a race, just nudge forward a little then when it goes green they boot it... lighting up their tires while i am still putting into first!

Love my work car! so slow, no brakes and 55MPG!
Old 17 January 2006, 09:19 AM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

does anyone know why peeman lewis has an impreza?

i considered a 4wd Golf GT TDi for the fuel economy and for everyday normal speeds it would probably be just as fast - but i love my WRX and its great fun to drive - but if you aren't going to use its performance why has he got one & why does he waste all his time here?

that is unless the whole thing is in his mind and he thinks he's got one, and likes to type dribble into his keyboard whenever the nursemaid turn on his laptop?

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2006, 11:03 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Perhaps you should get a motorhome instead?

You can stop in motorway car parks, have your own fry ups, nice cup of tea, sit down and read a bit more of J.R Hartley's 'Fly Fishing' ?

AND you could still have the same 'traffic light' fun with other motorhome drivers - see which one of you refuses to move first ? Kind of like a mexican standoff - big turbo diesels engines revving flipping off the 4K limiter.. plumes of black smoke drifting lazily into the air, dogs barking madly at each other out the sidewindows, maybe put in some hydraulic air suspension so you can do bunny hops...the possibilities are endless...

Old 17 January 2006, 11:13 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by pslewis

Sit there, don't accelerate like your **** is on fire ..... and watch the 'competitor' scream away, full throttle, with gear cogs and big ends flying out the rear end

It's quite a serene pleasure .................... for when you get older, maybe??

Pete
Actually, Pete, there is a greater pleasure than that!

You pull up at the lights, some twonk in a Nova pulls up next to you and says he's gonna *ahem* "blow you blood". By the way, is that a threat, challenge or offer of a sexual favour - I wish they'd at least speak English. Having spotted the police car a few cars behind, you just laugh and give a little burst on the throttle. Nova wheelspins of the line, you wait a few seconds for the police to tear past and then proceed on your way.

"Nova boi" is still being questioned by the police when you pass the junction on your way back.....

Priceless!!!
Old 17 January 2006, 11:18 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Old 17 January 2006, 11:19 AM
Mass.
Scooby Regular

PMSL...............You guys kill me!!!PMSL
Old 17 January 2006, 11:25 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

"Beating someone off"

This place just gets beatter and beatter
Old 17 January 2006, 11:29 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It's even better when you know that there is a another set of traffic lights 500yards down the road which will be on red if you go any faster than 30mph.

So off goes ned the ned in his half shagged tarted up scooby, screaming away through the gears, whilst I engage gear, release handbrake and totter off down the road gradualy building up to 30mph.

By the time I get to next set lights, he's sat there waiting, And as I approach, they change to green...I'm already doing 30mph and all I do is drop to 2nd gear and leave him for dead

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 January 2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 17 January 2006, 11:31 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Death by roadcraft.
Old 17 January 2006, 11:34 AM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Actually, Pete, there is a greater pleasure than that!

You pull up at the lights, some twonk in a Nova pulls up next to you and says he's gonna *ahem* "blow you blood". By the way, is that a threat, challenge or offer of a sexual favour - I wish they'd at least speak English. Having spotted the police car a few cars behind, you just laugh and give a little burst on the throttle. Nova wheelspins of the line, you wait a few seconds for the police to tear past and then proceed on your way.

"Nova boi" is still being questioned by the police when you pass the junction on your way back.....

Priceless!!!
That is definately the greater pleasure, Similar happened to me about two weeks ago. I was travelling up a slip road ajoining a dual carrageway with a 40mph limit on. The road is notorious for mobile cameras, so I was proceeding with the normal caution. Up behind me came a focus, i just knew what he was going to do, and I couldn't believe it when I spotted the usual van with cameras in just ahead. Maintaining my steady 38mph pace the focus overtook me doing about 60, and had his photo taken as a result! Absolutely brilliant! Although I did feel a bit sorry for the focus driver afterwards!

Rob.
Old 17 January 2006, 11:35 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Death by roadcraft.
Sometimes I do get bored and play along...but it's my rules
Old 17 January 2006, 11:43 AM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

Pete
funny that, this is exaclty what i do these days...

strange coz i now own a car that will do 60 in 5 secs and i dont wanna beat anyone...

maybe its the fact that saxo's, civics and bmw's are no competion anymore...
Old 17 January 2006, 11:47 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by homerjay
funny that, this is exaclty what i do these days...

strange coz i now own a car that will do 60 in 5 secs and i dont wanna beat anyone...

maybe its the fact that saxo's, civics and bmw's are no competion anymore...
Since this will no doubt awaken the "Scoobies aint fast brigade" allow me to deliver the opening line in an appropriate fashion:

"Me mod'd saxo blow you blood"

NS04
Old 17 January 2006, 01:23 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Talking

Pete

Done this a few years back in a brand new Jaguar, 3 lads in a XR3i pulled up at the lights and the passenger says nice car mate wanna race I had the guy from the dealership sitting next to me and he said drop it down in sport mode and pretend to pull away, well the XR3i thought he had done it till the next set of lights when I really booted it and the XR3i was going backwards Next set of lights guy pulls up the side of me and says respect to the wheels mate, it was the new XJ8, beautiful car
Cheers
Colin
Old 17 January 2006, 02:11 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Alternatively grab something that people wouldn't expect to be quick e.g 25 ton tractor unit with no trailer and pull up at lights next to chavvy nova. As always the nova herbert will nail it off the lights and pull a surprised face as you roar past him, cue childish laughing
Old 17 January 2006, 02:26 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robbie T
Alternatively grab something that people wouldn't expect to be quick e.g 25 ton tractor unit with no trailer and pull up at lights next to chavvy nova. As always the nova herbert will nail it off the lights and pull a surprised face as you roar past him, cue childish laughing
You should try driving a Skoda The satisfaction of seeing the look on the face of your Merc/BMW/Lexus owner as you leave them for dead.........

I can't really be arsed with Nova/Corsa/Saxo chavs nowadays. What I do like to do with them is follow them round town at night at 30mph. They think my Octavia vRS is an unmarked police car
Old 17 January 2006, 02:30 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matchmaker
They think my Octavia vRS is an unmarked police car
such cruelty...

All you need for maximum effect is to be wearing a nice bright flourescant yellow reflective jacket. They'd really crap themselves then...
Old 17 January 2006, 02:31 PM
Mr_Creosote
Scooby Newbie

I have to admit, there's a special pleasure to be had in pulling away from the lights in a far slower car when the person next to you clearly thinks they're going to leave you eating their dust...

I used to frequently embarass people in my old Focus Diesel - people didn't expect it to pull away quite as well as it did lol

However, most amusing of all was a road I used to drive down where it went down from national speed limit to 30mph through a small village for a mile or so - in the Scooby, with an idiot in a Calibra behind me (and on my bumper) I slowed down to 30mph on the nose as we entered the village. He's getting really agitated, weaving and swerving and waiting for an opportunity to get past me. Then, as we're on the straight exiting the village, the opposing traffic clears and he goes for it...pulls alongside me...then we exit the 30mph zone and I floor it in second and leave him on the wrong side of the road looking an idiot

Did chuckle a bit...
Old 17 January 2006, 02:41 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

is there anything better?
yes, plenty of things however. what an even better feeling when its a fare race, and you thrash the pants off them. it makes me grin ..each to their own, but thats what having a performance car is about(sometimes).
Old 17 January 2006, 02:43 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I do this hehe
Old 17 January 2006, 02:43 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

[quote=flynnstudio] such cruelty...

All you need for maximum effect is to be wearing a nice bright flourescant yellow reflective jacket. .but then you would be nearly as sad as the bloke that started this thread.
Old 17 January 2006, 03:18 PM
4stringMike
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr_Creosote
However, most amusing of all was a road I used to drive down where it went down from national speed limit to 30mph through a small village for a mile or so - in the Scooby, with an idiot in a Calibra behind me (and on my bumper) I slowed down to 30mph on the nose as we entered the village. He's getting really agitated, weaving and swerving and waiting for an opportunity to get past me. Then, as we're on the straight exiting the village, the opposing traffic clears and he goes for it...pulls alongside me...then we exit the 30mph zone and I floor it in second and leave him on the wrong side of the road looking an idiot

Did chuckle a bit...
I cannot understand people that think it's big and clever to do this.

Accelerating when someone is alongside you in the process of overtaking, is one of the most dangerous things you can do on the road in my book
Old 17 January 2006, 03:50 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4stringMike

Accelerating when someone is alongside you in the process of overtaking, is one of the most dangerous things you can do on the road in my book
Not sure what the guy has done wrong he is driving quickly until he reaches a built up area where he drives safely within the limit, then accelerates when he reaches the national speed limit sign!

You, on the other hand seem to sympathise with the moron who tries to drive on your rear bumper at +60mph then stays on your tail through the built up area driving in an aggresive manner and who starts to accelerate before reaching the 60mph marker!

Sorry you've got your priorities all wrong!
Old 17 January 2006, 03:55 PM
T_H_E__c_R_O_W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4stringMike

give me 0.001 seconds and i can think up a list of more dangerous stuff.:P Dispite that i agree with you, but in the situation i think it was ok. What is bad is when u driving normaly n ppl do this to you. But i exspect it if im booting it. Just natural instinct(sp?) to try keep up
Old 17 January 2006, 05:51 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

There is something better - and here it is (and I don't give a flying **** if it is a SIAL!)

Click here to see Video

Quick Reply: Is There Anything Better Than Beating Someone Off The Lights?