ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Headlight flashing WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2006, 08:12 PM
N*UFO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight flashing WHY?

Why do other drivers flash or put their headlights on full when you overtake them?, today on a 10 mile trip 3 (make that 4!)people did this to me , and it really makes me mad!
Ok if i was driving like a nutter fair play, put all i was doing was overtaking people doing 45-50 in a 60! no laws being broken there

A big merc , a citreon berlingo , landrover and a focus, all flashing lights.....
Utter Tossers!

Glad to get that off my chest............
Old 17 January 2006, 08:17 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

And people coming the other way do it too.

You overtake, pull back in and 5 secs later they flash you and gesticulate. I realise it takes most "drivers" on our roads 10 secs to work out how to flash the lights but if I'm already back on the right side of the road why bother?

I feel like crossing back onto their side and playing chicken, that'd give the tossers something to think about.....
Old 17 January 2006, 08:26 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Victims of bLIAR's nannying state
Old 17 January 2006, 08:34 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I don't even check for flashes. Once they're behind me, they're history.
Old 17 January 2006, 08:38 PM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle

It bugs me too - just because they don't have the driving ability, confidence or car to be able to overtake safely they think nobody should!!
Old 17 January 2006, 09:56 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Happens all the time. Overtook Shogun yesterday on 60 mph limit road. Nothing coming other way. Indicated, foot down, he was doing bout 40 - 45 and past I went. He put his lights on full beam including his spotlights so I chucked the brakes on to see if he wanted to take this further!! He slowed almost to a stop which was prob advisable as I would be either locked up for Road Rage or in hospital now depending on how big he was!!! these people are IDIOTS!! There is no law against overtaking when safe to do so. If they want to pootle about thats up to them but do not DARE flash me if I overtake. Rant over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 17 January 2006, 10:00 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

A friendly wave of acknowledgement normally winds them up even more and you're just being polite..............

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2006, 10:03 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anthscooby01
Happens all the time. Overtook Shogun yesterday on 60 mph limit road. Nothing coming other way. Indicated, foot down, he was doing bout 40 - 45 and past I went. He put his lights on full beam including his spotlights so I chucked the brakes on to see if he wanted to take this further!! He slowed almost to a stop which was prob advisable as I would be either locked up for Road Rage or in hospital now depending on how big he was!!! these people are IDIOTS!! There is no law against overtaking when safe to do so. If they want to pootle about thats up to them but do not DARE flash me if I overtake. Rant over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F**king bang on!
Old 17 January 2006, 10:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think people these days don't understand that the big white round sign with the black diaganal line means you can legally travel at the national speed limit (conditions prevailing, of course ). Either that, or they think the national speed limit is a blanket 40mph

Oh not to mention the ones that do 40mph in a straight clear NSL road, then when it drops back to 30mph through a village or past a school etc, they carry on doing 40mph
Old 17 January 2006, 10:22 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

[/QUOTE]Oh not to mention the ones that do 40mph in a straight clear NSL road, then when it drops back to 30mph through a village or past a school etc, they carry on doing 40mph [/QUOTE]

Exactly, think half of them are asleep and not seeing these speed limit signs, but just remember one from when their journey started 10 miles back.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:28 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Mo fo's!

And just to add another annoyance (sorry for the highjack...) what is it with people using their high beam on the motorway when there's traffic about?

Probably think they're being safe, sticking to the middle lane...
Old 17 January 2006, 10:35 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Flashed 4 times....are you sure you don't have your rear fog lights on? Now that really annoys me.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:36 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarrenSTI

Exactly, think half of them are asleep and not seeing these speed limit signs, but just remember one from when their journey started 10 miles back.

How true is that! I see it all the time. There is a Truvelo camera near here on a road that carries the national speed limit. I have lost count of the amount of people who slow down and crawl past it at 35-40mph .

There are lots of people out there who just haven't go a clue.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:37 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Flashed 4 times....are you sure you don't have your rear fog lights on? Now that really annoys me.
Not as prevalent or as annoying as front fogs. No need to have those on except to be a tit.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:38 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Nah, it's the fronts that annoy me.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:39 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by trackman
Nah, it's the fronts that annoy me.
Snap. I might be an old gadge getting road rage but I've started giving them the Blackpool Illuminations.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:41 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Snap. I might be an old gadge getting road rage but I've started giving them the Blackpool Illuminations.
Same here, but surely the new terror on our roads is the side lights and foglight morons. What the hell is that about?
Old 17 January 2006, 10:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Or the oldies (or ladies ) that don't realise that the headlight switch has two positions...and thus travel in the dark using nothing but sidelights
Old 17 January 2006, 11:20 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

I get that two. If I have ever overtaken you in the past and you felt uphappy then I am sorry, and also **** OFF!
Old 17 January 2006, 11:28 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Oh your so right - this really winds me up...it's like they think becuase they're driving at 40mph they have some moral high ground when in reality half of these people have basic road competancy issues - they are actually vastly more dangerous in their own way than a seriously focused and skilled rapid driver.

How many of us have seen them dithering inches from the back of an artic lorry for miles upon miles, wasting countless safe overtaking oppertunities, only to pull out full on into the opposite lane almost hitting oncoming traffic instead of just dropping right back and picking the right moment, then when you finally have had enough and you decided 'bugger this I'm overtaking both of em' they see YOU indicate, you come right out on the otherside of the road *before* commencing overtaking ( cos you just KNOW they're going to be an ****) THEN that's when THEY decided it must be safe to overtake and just pull out on you only to bumble along exaclty 3 mph faster the the vehicle they're overtaking.
I don't know about you but I KNOW when someone is gonna overtake me - there is no 'surprise element' going on -with these people it's like you've just materliased from another dimension alongside them - they sh*t themselves - and then the bloody flashing begins!!
Old 17 January 2006, 11:41 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crackin thread. lol

all so true
Old 17 January 2006, 11:57 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
I don't even check for flashes. Once they're behind me, they're history.
until they nab you at the next junction, and ask you if you wanna see a good video !!

mart
Old 18 January 2006, 06:58 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

And I always thought they were flashing us out of massive respect
Old 18 January 2006, 08:05 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

It's also totally annoying when you get a whole line of cars trailing behind a slower vehicle, all of them too close to each other yet no-one overtaking.

This means you either have to take them all at one time (which is probably dodgy) or try and muscle your way in between the cars when overtaking in stages - and this really winds people up.

If I'm in pootle mode (generally after my 8th pint, lol) then what's the point of driving up the @rse of the car in front? I always leave a decent gap, which a) allows someone to overtake into the gap, and b) makes driving so much easier as I have time to respond (useful if I'm sleep-driving, lol).

Grrrrrrrrrrrr...

It's almost as annoying as people freaking out about front fog light use!
Old 18 January 2006, 08:15 AM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle

Spot on!

Originally Posted by flynnstudio
Oh your so right - this really winds me up...it's like they think becuase they're driving at 40mph they have some moral high ground when in reality half of these people have basic road competancy issues - they are actually vastly more dangerous in their own way than a seriously focused and skilled rapid driver.

How many of us have seen them dithering inches from the back of an artic lorry for miles upon miles, wasting countless safe overtaking oppertunities, only to pull out full on into the opposite lane almost hitting oncoming traffic instead of just dropping right back and picking the right moment, then when you finally have had enough and you decided 'bugger this I'm overtaking both of em' they see YOU indicate, you come right out on the otherside of the road *before* commencing overtaking ( cos you just KNOW they're going to be an ****) THEN that's when THEY decided it must be safe to overtake and just pull out on you only to bumble along exaclty 3 mph faster the the vehicle they're overtaking.
I don't know about you but I KNOW when someone is gonna overtake me - there is no 'surprise element' going on -with these people it's like you've just materliased from another dimension alongside them - they sh*t themselves - and then the bloody flashing begins!!
Old 18 January 2006, 08:31 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I've said it before, in fact I'd have it as my forum signature if such things were allowed, but people are idiots. If I were President of Earth, I'd have everyone shot. Except a few fit girls. And they wouldn't be allowed to drive.
Old 18 January 2006, 08:45 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I've said it before, in fact I'd have it as my forum signature if such things were allowed, but people are idiots. If I were President of Earth, I'd have everyone shot. Except a few fit girls. And they wouldn't be allowed to drive.
"The conservative's new manifesto was surprising, to say the least!
Old 18 January 2006, 09:15 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by N*UFO
Why do other drivers flash or put their headlights on full when you overtake them?, today on a 10 mile trip 3 (make that 4!)people did this to me , and it really makes me mad!
Ok if i was driving like a nutter fair play, put all i was doing was overtaking people doing 45-50 in a 60! no laws being broken there

A big merc , a citreon berlingo , landrover and a focus, all flashing lights.....
Utter Tossers!

Glad to get that off my chest............

The fact you were flashed by 4 people probably means you were doing something wrong. Perhaps not in your eyes but definately in theirs.

Gary
Old 18 January 2006, 09:19 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Cutting in too early, maybe? :dunno:
Old 18 January 2006, 09:24 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
The fact you were flashed by 4 people probably means you were doing something wrong. Perhaps not in your eyes but definately in theirs.

Gary
I'd like to say I'd agree Gary, but I know from experience just how much some people can resent perfectly safe overtaking. I was out with an ADI not so long ago and made several "completely safe" (his words, not mine) in a national speed limit section of road past cars doing 10-20mph slower than the limit. Each time, I got flashed.

Some people just don't like being overtaken.... either the based on the assumption that if you're going faster than them, you must -by definition- be driving like a loon, or the same competitive mentality as the kind of driver who won't let you past on the track, I'd guess. Or, it may just be some kind of petty concern that you might get somewhere before them or jumping a queue....

NS04

Quick Reply: Headlight flashing WHY?