ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STI6 TYPE-R/RA OR EVO6?

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2000, 02:49 PM
P1 WR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hi all.i want to ask some questions.i read some road tests between imprezas and evos.as a result rb5,22b and p1 is better than evos.how about sti6 type-r/ra?which one is better evos or sti6 type-r/ra?which one is better on dry tarmac and on track?
in ltr an evo6 rs owner said that in bestmotoring magazine evo6rs gets better results than 22b and type-r/ra?is it true?in evo and car 22b,rb5 and p1 got better results.so which one is better(sti6 vs evo)?i like imprezas much much more than evos ,i just want to learn.
thanks for all replies.
P1 WR
Old 06 October 2000, 02:53 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

do you ever run out of encyclopaedic questions?

Old 06 October 2000, 03:04 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Smile

Christ on a bike.....

We don't know. No-one knows, it's all one of life's mysteries. Why are we on this planet? What is our destiny? Will the universe collapse or expand forever? Why has Andy Peters started appearing on the telly again?
It baffles me.
Old 06 October 2000, 03:16 PM
NickF
Scooby Regular

Easy answers

1 Buy the STi if you have a spare fuel tanker to follow you, as well as the need to go really fast

2 Buy thr Evo if you want to go even faster, have an even larger tanker to shadow your every move, and like the sound if a motoriser hairdryer.

3 In the real world, buy a 911 secondhand for £20-25k. It'll cost less to run, be as fast, have shedloads of character, and won't care whether you run it on 95 octane. Oh yes, and the insurance will probably be half the cost.

You know it makes sense.

Nick
Old 06 October 2000, 03:56 PM
Stanley
Scooby Newbie

Hello P1 WR,

The Japanese monthly video magazine Best Motoring compares the factory standard STI and EVO in several of their issues. The latest one was a STI V6 type RA versus the EVO 6 TM edition. (all four doors). The EVO beat STI on the track and in fact the EVO consistently beats STI on the track if you have a chance to check out previous issues of Best Motoring. The STI is faster in 0 to 400m runs. For normal roads it does not matter much to me hence I prefer the STI due to its lower price and it is fast enough for me. The type-R being two door is having a more rigid body and offers a slighter better handing. This is the one I bought. If you can find a STI V5 type R it should be a better buy (cheaper) as the V6 Type R is just having an extra front lip spoiler and slight different rear wing. Rest is the same as the V5. The lip spoiler can be retrofitted. Hope this helps!
Old 06 October 2000, 04:22 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Crikey Stanley, I'm sure your the only Scoobynet member from Honk Kong (Well could be wrong as not everyone seems to fill in their profile)

Gary
Old 06 October 2000, 04:43 PM
P1 WR
Scooby Regular

Smile

how about 22b?can it beats evos on track?in EVO mag it beat evo on wet and dry but how about on track comparison?
i don't want to buy evo i just only asked, i like impreza much more than evos.
i know that issue in bestmotoring.type-r beat evo in dry race but on track evo beat it.times are:
sti6:1.07
evo tm:1.05(or 1.06)
i don't understand that.standard uk is only 0.80 slower than evo in hockenheim(uk:1.19,evo:1.18)
and 260 hp uk beats evo by 0.60.it means that uk car is better than sti am i wrong?
Old 07 October 2000, 01:39 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

I'm from hongkong and im picking up my sti6typer in 2 days!! and everyone with one is saying good things

I had a likeminded friend with an evo6, so i'll give you the run down later (sodding runins).

After a few sleepless nights, i am 100% positive i made the right choice for me! There is no simple answer here, unless you know all the facts.

I haven't seen any of the late bestmotoring vidoes with the newer STi typers compared with the evo...they seem to only test the 4 door against the evo tommi.

I am beggining to wonder if the new sti will be much better, and only time will tell...something to look forward to.

Any of you hongkongers want my old 4 door sti ? I have looked after it extremely well (since we only decided on getting a new car 6 days ago!)
Old 07 October 2000, 03:41 AM
Stanley
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Hello Mark,

Nice car! What colour of type R that you are getting? Dark blue or grey? I almost settled for a dark grey until the last minute I spotted a brand new yr 2000 black V5 type R from another dealer at cheaper price. They provided the front lip spoiler free. Wonder if you want to check out Sai Wan Ah Motor (24926073) who would probably be interested in your STI4.

Cheers!
Old 07 October 2000, 08:23 AM
P1 WR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

have good fun with your awesome machine
type-r is better than evo6 on road but out on a track evo is better.best motoring compared them and on road(dry)sti beat evo by 1 second.on track evo beat sti by 1 second.we are not on a track so sti type-r is a better choice i think and when you fit STIs optional suspension systems(not come as standard,optional)and 17''wheels it will be much better than evo al around i think.
cheers

P1 WR
Old 08 October 2000, 01:38 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Hi Stanley,

Getting the last 'cool grey', and we are only getting that because I managed to convince a friend with a deposit on it that it would be too boring for him compared to his F355. Wasn't intentional at the time since we were going to fully test drive his but the last ones seems to have got snapped up REALLY quickly...

Thanks a lot for the phone number, i'll call them next week can i ask you how much you paid for your STi5 TypeR ? considering the typer was 350K when we bought the STi4, i thought 300K was a good deal!

Cheers,
Oh yea and how did you get a black 2 door ?
Old 08 October 2000, 11:23 AM
Stanley
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Hi Mark,

They must have lowered it to 300K recently from 328K when I was there in August. Then yours is a good deal as it comes with warranty and is a V6.

Mine came from Sai Wan Ah, their closely linked dealer at 288K without warranty. Considering the 40K difference back in August I made the decision. They had several V5 type R at that time, but were quickly sold out. Mine was the last one they had. I was just a little too late to get their last grey one.

The dealer is still trying to get from Japan remaining Type R to sell here. Looks like there are still people wanting it. He mentioned that the new STI will be around 350K for the 4 doors, and won't be coming here until early next year. The two door version won't be available at least until 2002 according to the usual habit of Subaru. I look forward to trade-in my type R then.

Hope to see yours some where in the streets of Hong Kong. Have you heard about the WRX club in Hong Kong? Don't have a clue about their contact details.

Cheers!

Old 10 October 2000, 03:34 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Yup, that's what started me off with the idea in the beggining, 300K is a pretty good deal considering the new sti looks crap

Micheal from Promax was helping us souce both a new sti6 and sti7 from japan and said the sti7 will be ready later this month at about 300K (i think its the 2 door). Normal Mk2 wrx's will be at the showroom next week i think according to our salesman so we can all go and have a laugh..

Actually I do think the sti7 will be a great car, but perhaps it will need some refinement in the beginning, and it was now or never on the last sti6typr.

I do know one chap called Kris who arranged some wrx meetings which i attended a long time ago. I'm not sure if hes still calling himself the WRX club chairman I have his mobile if ya need it.

Cheers, Mark
Don't forget to wave at the crazy gweilos in the cool grey 2 door :-)

Edit: morning spelling blunders

[This message has been edited by Mark Pattison (edited 10 October 2000).]