ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Lighter to go faster

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2006, 05:56 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighter to go faster

Hi Like most the upgrade demon has finally found me having decided to maybe go down the wrc tech, wrc350 ppp upgrade route later this year (still awaiting an email response ) I would also like to investigate the possibility of changing somethings for lighter products to help reduce the loss of power inertia to the wheels. However I only want to do this if its worth it and not too many side issues

e.g. fly-wheel (but is there idle problem), wheel nuts, carbon bonnet (but do they distort), carbon roof, pulleys, etc. Any information grateful.
Old 26 January 2006, 07:29 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're serious about lightening a car and money's no object, basic rules of thumb are to take weight out where it'll most be noticed. Therefore get rid of unsprung weight first - i.e. suspension and wheels basically. This will improve wheel control. Then get rid of as much weight high up as possible, as you say a carbon roof. Carbon upper body panels in general will be the best way of getting rid of weight, plus thin glass or plastic windows. Glass weighs a hell of a lot. Strip all your interior out except driver's seat and dashboard and that'll help.

If you want to focus just on unsprung weight, you want lightweight small alloys, even steelies are a possibility. I've never had problems with lightweight flywheels personally but I suppose it depends on how light they are. Stuff like titanium wheelnuts are overkill unless you've got money to burn, in which case, do the job properly and have one fully stripped out car for track and one full-fat version for road driving.

Probably most noticeable change will be to go to a lighter rim than whatever you're already running. Under 6.5 kg for a 7x17" is pretty good (not including the tyre).
Old 26 January 2006, 07:43 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Either that or sell the car and buy something lighter?
Old 26 January 2006, 08:02 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Standard front seats are 70kg for the pair, UK type tipping rear seats with metal frames are around 40kg, then you've got all the sound deadening, underseal carpets, airbags and associated wiring/sensors...it's quite easy to shed around 100kg from the car before your even look at cutting up bodywork and replacing panels...although an Alloy bonnet is worth investing in or a pukka carbon one (none of these eBay over glorified GRP bonnets with a carbon outer skin that weigh more than a steel bonnet!

Then of course there are all the GRP components Legacyturbs has been making for the drag boys
Old 26 January 2006, 08:09 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Seems like a hell of a way to disfigure what is probably currently a great car?

Yeah you can probably get 100KG out without toooo much trouble but what will it look like at the end of the work and how much actual difference would you feel?

I would be asking exactly what you want to do with the car?
Old 26 January 2006, 08:11 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

buy a spec'c'.....
Old 26 January 2006, 08:21 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Seems like a hell of a way to disfigure what is probably currently a great car?

Yeah you can probably get 100KG out without toooo much trouble but what will it look like at the end of the work and how much actual difference would you feel?

I would be asking exactly what you want to do with the car?
simple to test really, drive the car on your own and the again with a really fat friend (or two thin ones) and feel the difference
Old 26 January 2006, 08:42 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

100KG isnt a really fat friend ..... but I know where you're coming from.

Gary
Old 26 January 2006, 08:57 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Bin the interior, this alone makes an astonishing difference, lightweight seats x 2, no carpets etc.

I have an RA with a lightened & balanced flywheel, mine tiks over lovely.

PNB
Old 26 January 2006, 09:05 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

woops I think I didn't say enough in my original post. No I want it to be an everyday car so Im looking at what can be done without making it a trackday car. So yeah the lighten fly wheel sounds good and bonnet and roof. Any one had any problems with these. As I would prefer to do it all in one go and get the money for all. Hey no money is a big consideartion so I think the WRC is like £1600 maybe I would spend the same on lightened stuff (not including labour). I'm hoping if I could save like 50kg (roof, bonnet, flywheel, pulley's, etc) and then with the extra torque things would really fly