Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How do you fit a new fuel pump on a classic??

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2006, 05:46 PM
Tiss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you fit a new fuel pump on a classic??

Does anybody have any pics or a website with guide on how to fit a new walbro fuel pump as can't find one as search doesn't work

Thanks

Chris
Old 01 February 2006, 09:42 PM
Tiss
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 02 February 2006, 02:22 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up No guide but it's easy to do

Take out back seat - 2 or 3 bolts for bottom squab down where your heels would be if you were sitting in the seat, 2 or 3 bolts at bottom of rear seatback once the bottom half is removed (can't remember exact number of bolts). Seats just lift out - time required 3-4 minutes

Remove panel over gap in bulkhead between boot and passenger compartment - 2 minute job in my P1

Remove panel in floor on the right hand side revealing tank with a panel with fuel lines going in and out of it - 2-3 mins

PUT OUT *** Actually do it outside or somewhere well ventilated. sensible to disconnect battery too.

Remove pipes & panel in tank and the fuel pump assembly comes with it. Time a few mins

It's pretty self evident what to do from there which is just to swap the new pump for the old one with a little bit of fiddling with the electrical connections on the walbro to connect to the existing loom connections. The new pump just clips in place of the existing one so no jiggery pokery apart from you should re-use the existing fuel filter net thing attached to the original pump.

Re assemble

All in all for a first timer - probably an hour's work. Pro's 20mins or so.

Don't be surprised at how noisy a bugger the new pump is - you will be able to hear it whirring away pretty clearly.

HTH

I seem to remember that Ravensblade.com had something with photos on it - that website was forced to change it's name but i think it'll still redirect you. If I can find the Url, I'll post it
Old 02 February 2006, 02:29 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Fat Boy

PUT OUT ***

Take out back seat - 2 or 3 bolts for bottom squab down where your heels would be if you were sitting in the seat, 2 or 3 bolts at bottom of rear seatback once the bottom half is removed (can't remember exact number of bolts). Seats just lift out - time required 3-4 minutes

Remove panel over gap in bulkhead between boot and passenger compartment - 2 minute job in my P1

Remove panel in floor on the right hand side revealing tank with a panel with fuel lines going in and out of it - 2-3 mins

Actually do it outside or somewhere well ventilated. sensible to disconnect battery too.

Remove pipes & panel in tank and the fuel pump assembly comes with it. Time a few mins

It's pretty self evident what to do from there which is just to swap the new pump for the old one with a little bit of fiddling with the electrical connections on the walbro to connect to the existing loom connections. The new pump just clips in place of the existing one so no jiggery pokery apart from you should re-use the existing fuel filter net thing attached to the original pump.

Re assemble

All in all for a first timer - probably an hour's work. Pro's 20mins or so.

Don't be surprised at how noisy a bugger the new pump is - you will be able to hear it whirring away pretty clearly.

HTH

I seem to remember that Ravensblade.com had something with photos on it - that website was forced to change it's name but i think it'll still redirect you. If I can find the Url, I'll post it
Edted for safety!!!
Old 02 February 2006, 02:56 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cowardy custard

Anyhoo here's some photos and stuff - apparently there are two different types of fittings on classics; on one it's a straight swap, on the other there is a little bit of jiggery pokery to get it to fit and the connections to go together. Still under an hour to do it all though even with boogering around

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...p?threadid=473
Old 02 February 2006, 03:04 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Here it is with pictures......

http://www.scoobymagazine.com/pdf/fuel_pump_change.pdf
Old 02 February 2006, 10:23 PM
Tiss
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info people actually looks quite complicated from the pics of Scoobymagazine!!
Old 03 February 2006, 12:01 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It might do, but it isn't really -for instance " you might need some assistance getting the back seat out"?? If you have one arm you might!!.

The only fiddly bit is the disconnecting and reconnecting of the pump, but that's a few minutes.
Old 03 February 2006, 12:07 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Before starting, de pressurize the system. Get access to the pump cover where the 3 hoses are, and unplug the electrical connector. Start the car and it will runfor a short while before cutting out. then disconnect the battery and continue with the above procedure.
Piece of p1$$
Old 03 February 2006, 12:08 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

oh, and use the original subaru sock as well as most aftermarket pumps socks aren't suitable