ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Dealer Kerbed Alloy

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2006, 11:11 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Kerbed Alloy

Had my car in at the dealers on Friday. Picked it up at 5pm and drove home. The first thing I noticed was that the steering wheel was slightly off centre i.e. as is slightly turning left. Thought nothing of it, as the reason the car was at the dealers was that the front left Shock needed replacing. 8 Month old 05 STI.

I only noticed the alloy on Saturday when I washed the car. The front right alloy was kerbed. I know fine well I didn't do it, and if I was going to kerb a alloy, it would surely be on the left. This now puts me in a dilemma. Do I confront the dealer? Chances are all they'll do is deny any knowledge of doing it, saying I most have done it, and that I'm trying it on. That I don't want, as I'll be the one looking a right Tw@t. Or do I just live with it?
I don't want to fall out with the dealer either, as that would mean having to go back to GMD of Durham for servicing etc, which I don't want to do, as they are rubbish.

The thing I'm most annoyed at is the there Prodrive PFF7 alloys.
Old 30 January 2006, 11:13 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I would certainly confront the dealer !
Richard
Old 30 January 2006, 11:22 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Just be polite but firm - they'll understand...Without taking anything away from you - you'll be one of 20 cars they see a day and as long as your polite and respectful of them they'll do the right thing and won't single you out as some kind of troublemaker...do it right and you'll probably get 5 star service for a long time!
Old 30 January 2006, 12:13 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

As above, confront them, explain your point calmly, i'm sure they'll see you right.

That happened in my classic and i got nothing out of it except a scuffed alloy. Only had them 2 months and cost £3400 with tyres!!!

I'm in a similar situation now with me newage, but they scraped the bumper, quite bad IMO. The only problem is it was in 1 garage one day, then another the next, the following day during a rinse i saw the scrape. I contacted both garages, but both denied (Finger pointing: Pentagon Glasgow & Subaru Eaglesham)

The subaru garage has offered to check buffing/removing it for me, which reminds me i should take it down soon before they forget.
Old 30 January 2006, 02:08 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Nothing to lose by confronting dealer. I work next to a Honda dealer and see the customer cars being properly abused by the mechanics etc. I've seen on more than one occasion Type R's spinning out of the nearby petrol station hitting the rev limiter with tyres smoking (hence I did not buy a Type R!!). If your car has been damaged by them they should pay. I personally now tell anyone that works on my car that it is not to be driven unless I am present. Too many spotty teenage mechanics about that want to thrash any fast looking motor especially when its not theirs.
Old 30 January 2006, 03:32 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Spoken to the dealer. At the moment they're saying they didn't do it. Have sent them some photo's, as I can't get to the dealer myself.
Awaiting their reply........... fingers crossed.
Old 30 January 2006, 03:47 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Did you mention the misalignment of the steering wheel? It's unlikely a new front shock would cause that.
Old 30 January 2006, 04:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Houghton
Did you mention the misalignment of the steering wheel? It's unlikely a new front shock would cause that.
Yeh, mentioned that.

I'll just have to wait and see what they say.
Old 30 January 2006, 04:26 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

When they say they wont do anything about it drive it through the showroom window and ask them to reconsider
Old 30 January 2006, 04:30 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
When they say they wont do anything about it drive it through the showroom window and ask them to reconsider
subtle!
martin
Old 30 January 2006, 04:48 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Dude . .Ofcourse bring it up. . . Got nothing to lose right? Well pointed . .Be polite but firm and perhaps they'l contribute to the cost of the refurb . . If not do point out that there are other dealers out there!

Good luck!
Old 30 January 2006, 05:28 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Of course the 'real' worry should be is the alignment out? How hard was the wheel kerbed if it's caused steering wheel misalignment? And is anything bent?
Old 30 January 2006, 07:51 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 384 Likes on 306 Posts

if the dealer has replaced a front shocker and not set the suspension up correctly then the steering wheel WILL be mis-aligned regardless of any kerbing or whatever....................

alyn