ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

V5 /PRIVATE PLATE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2006, 08:05 PM
ninjacost
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V5 /PRIVATE PLATE HELP!!!

Hi guys, need some advice ,bought car from dealer in november ,part exe'd my other car in the deal ,have private plate so needed it transfered on to my new one ,dealer said he could do it,. so i gave them a cheque for £80.00 and the v5 off my px,and they said they would sort it,they delivered the car to me with my plate on and said that the v5 and notification of transfer would come in the post,now i have waited until now and still nothing ,i have rang garage a couple of times during this period and the dealer as said he would chase up with the dvla, i rang dvla today and they have no record of the transfer and told me quite rightly that i now have effectivley a false number plate!when i spoke to dvla they said it was up to me to sort with garage,rang them and played holy hell they said they would sort tomorrow won't mention dealer because i'm not sure who as cocked up them or dvla, just need some advice on what i can do ,and what are the legal implications for myself which i know already really, and the dealer? any help greatly appreciated.
Old 02 February 2006, 10:13 PM
ninjacost
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ninjacost
Hi guys, need some advice ,bought car from dealer in november ,part exe'd my other car in the deal ,have private plate so needed it transfered on to my new one ,dealer said he could do it,. so i gave them a cheque for £80.00 and the v5 off my px,and they said they would sort it,they delivered the car to me with my plate on and said that the v5 and notification of transfer would come in the post,now i have waited until now and still nothing ,i have rang garage a couple of times during this period and the dealer as said he would chase up with the dvla, i rang dvla today and they have no record of the transfer and told me quite rightly that i now have effectivley a false number plate!when i spoke to dvla they said it was up to me to sort with garage,rang them and played holy hell they said they would sort tomorrow won't mention dealer because i'm not sure who as cocked up them or dvla, just need some advice on what i can do ,and what are the legal implications for myself which i know already really, and the dealer? any help greatly appreciated.

Anyone?
Old 02 February 2006, 10:20 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Take a look on the DVLA web site there is a good section on cherished transfers mate. Rule is you can only transfer the plates if you own both vehicles, so really you needed to keep the docs to your PX until you had the transfer completed onto your new one, which only takes about 7 days from the papers going in. Once you had got your PX back on its old plate, you can 'sell' it to the dealer and give them the docs and at the same time stick your private plate on your new car.

If the garage has now sold your old car with the plate on it as they failed to do the paperwork for the transfer, I think you will have lost entitlement to the plate, unless the new owner is willing to give it back.. bit of a pickle I'm afraid, good luck.

P.S you need to get clarity from the DVLA or garage (or check the tax disk) as to what the actual reg of your new car is pronto, get the plates on it & tell your insurers.
Old 02 February 2006, 10:28 PM
ninjacost
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrynO
Take a look on the DVLA web site there is a good section on cherished transfers mate. Rule is you can only transfer the plates if you own both vehicles, so really you needed to keep the docs to your PX until you had the transfer completed onto your new one, which only takes about 7 days from the papers going in. Once you had got your PX back on its old plate, you can 'sell' it to the dealer and give them the docs and at the same time stick your private plate on your new car.

If the garage has now sold your old car with the plate on it as they failed to do the paperwork for the transfer, I think you will have lost entitlement to the plate, unless the new owner is willing to give it back.. bit of a pickle I'm afraid, good luck.

P.S you need to get clarity from the DVLA or garage (or check the tax disk) as to what the actual reg of your new car is pronto, get the plates on it & tell your insurers.

thanks a lot for the reply mate