ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Piston slap or bottom end gone?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2006, 12:06 AM
ukturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston slap or bottom end gone?

My engine has a knocking sound at low revs but when the revs increase over 2000 2500 it does not do it i have done a video so if anyone can tell me what it is. A work colleague used to be a mechanic and he has heard my car start up and drive away he reckons my bottom end is on its way out

Here is the link for the video clip http://media.putfile.com/My-scoob-on-car-park-1
Old 03 February 2006, 12:11 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ukturbo
My engine has a knocking sound at low revs but when the revs increase over 2000 2500 it does not do it i have done a video so if anyone can tell me what it is. A work colleague used to be a mechanic and he has heard my car start up and drive away he reckons my bottom end is on its way out

Here is the link for the video clip http://media.putfile.com/My-scoob-on-car-park-1
Hard to hear from that video mate. I really wouldn't be giving it any stick until you've established what the problem is though, as you'll only make matter worse.

Give the video to Someone like David at API

Ns04
Old 03 February 2006, 12:12 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

How is anyone supposed to tell from that hooning around a carpark?

Lift bonnet let engine idle...listen, then give a LIGHT blip - listen...then hold 2000rpm - listen. Report back with waht you hear

Piston slap almost always goes away when hot and is a more clinky noise than a big end.
Old 03 February 2006, 12:26 AM
ukturbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
How is anyone supposed to tell from that hooning around a carpark?

Lift bonnet let engine idle...listen, then give a LIGHT blip - listen...then hold 2000rpm - listen. Report back with waht you hear

Piston slap almost always goes away when hot and is a more clinky noise than a big end.
Hi ali it does it at low revs hot or cold it has been doing it for a while making that strange knocking sound but you do not hear it when the revs go over 2500 rpm i always let the engine warm up before accelerating hard and i let it cool down for at least a minute before i turn the engine off it was my mate driving my car and i told him not to floor it but he did and i told him off for it i will do another video with my brother behind the wheel he is more responsible and grown up
Old 03 February 2006, 03:02 AM
seab
Scooby Regular

if its doing it hot or cold, then it was the same as mine, everyone i spoke to (scooby clinic, API, my freinds who are rally mechanics) all said big ends sorry dude, if it is, then its rebuild time im afraid. i can relate to you and feel your pain, im picking mine up next week after its rebuild, it isnt pleasnt, but comes with age. good luck dude, and i hope im wrong
Old 03 February 2006, 11:08 AM
ukturbo
Scooby Regular

Oh no mate how much does it cost to have it done? as you can see from the beginning of the video clip when he reverses my car you can hear that knocking sound but when he drives away at higher revs i cannot hear it
Old 03 February 2006, 11:24 AM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Ask for David www.apiengines.com

His team rebuilt mine and it's sweet.

Rob

Trending Topics

Old 03 February 2006, 11:38 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Not being rude but have you carefully checked nothing in the engine bay and on the engine is loose?
Things like crank pulley, alternator pulley, mounts, good old heat shields etc.
Those who are used to doing it can often listen to a block through a stethoscope or even a long bar placed on the bottom end and put to the ear and identify the problem.
Old 03 February 2006, 12:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Oh no mate how much does it cost to have it done? as you can see from the beginning of the video clip when he reverses my car you can hear that knocking sound but when he drives away at higher revs i cannot hear it
If it is the bottom end, you're looking at a big bill around 2.5k is the kind of ball park I think. If you rag it and do more damage, the bill goes up even further.

Talk to David at API!!

NS04
Old 03 February 2006, 01:19 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eliminate the possibility of a knackered cambelt tensioner bouncing.
JohnD
Old 03 February 2006, 02:29 PM
seab
Scooby Regular

yep have to agree there, take 5mins to check everything is fixed and it isnt something rattling, i was unlucky as i thought itw was heat sheilds rattling, but everyone i spoke to said it was a bit more sinisiter, give me a pm and i will give you the run down on what im stumping up. otherwise call David at API, sound advice, top bloke!!!!!
Old 04 February 2006, 12:28 PM
ukturbo
Scooby Regular

There is a subaru main dealer not that far from me i wonder if i should take it down and let one of the mechanics have a look and see if they can diagnose the problem also i was talking to the work colleague who was on about that knocking sound his mate has a classic wrx 95 96 in his garage the car is a write off i think but dan from work said the engine is mint no damage and he said he could do it for £800 plus fitting into my car. My car is an 1997 uk turbo. What about the gearbox ratio? i should of got my work colleagues phone number i will see him on monday
Old 04 February 2006, 01:02 PM
ukturbo
Scooby Regular

Default Piston slap sound file

Done a search on piston slap and found this my car sounds exactly like this!! http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.le...p%20(cold).mp3
Old 04 February 2006, 01:40 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Done a search on piston slap and found this my car sounds exactly like this!! http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.le...p%20(cold).mp3

Yeah, that's Piston Slap. It should go when warmed up a little - as the piston will expand in to the right shape. On some cars it's something to worry about - but general opinion is that if it goes when warm it's nothing to worry about on the MY97s/98s
Old 04 February 2006, 02:20 PM
ukturbo
Scooby Regular

Hi james it even makes that sound when my car is warmed up too
Old 04 February 2006, 03:04 PM
struv
Scooby Regular

you sure it sounds like bottom end to me nocking under load and then nothing on over run hope im wrong
Old 04 February 2006, 04:58 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

piston slap is mainly cold only once warmed up dissapears, personally id have the crank dropped out reground and new shells fitted to match than another sec hand engine
Old 04 February 2006, 06:04 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

There is a subaru main dealer not that far from me i wonder if i should take it down and let one of the mechanics have a look and see if they can diagnose the problem also i was talking to the work colleague who was on about that knocking sound his mate has a classic wrx 95 96 in his garage the car is a write off i think but dan from work said the engine is mint no damage and he said he could do it for £800 plus fitting into my car. My car is an 1997 uk turbo. What about the gearbox ratio? i should of got my work colleagues phone number i will see him on monday
If you can be sure the engine from your mates car has been looked after
then it would be a good option for the money.

As for the gearbox, it should be a straight swap, but the ratio's on the
WRX are more franetic that the UK version.

If you do a lot of motorway driving I would stick with your UK version as
it has a longer final ratio which would be better for cruising, if you do mainly
street driving the WRX box would be a good option and give you quicker
acceleration, it depends on what you want.

Rob