Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Total Scooby Newbie - 14kish Budger, WTF am I buying?!

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2006, 11:20 AM
anyone4apint
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Scooby Newbie - 14kish Budger, WTF am I buying?!

Hi Guys,

As the title of the thread says, I know very little about specific models and versions of the impreza, and I need the help of someone that knows what they are talking about as I am fed up of dealers lying to me!

I have a Civic Type R to use as part ex (expecting about 8 grand for it from a dealer) and I can add to that about 6 grand (give or take a little). I need a scooby for a day to day car to cope with about 8k miles a year.

From looking on autotrader and speaking to dealers, it seems that I would be looking at a 2001/2 bug-eye Impreza STI Type UK with the Prodrive Performance Pack on it. There are so many damm versions of this car its hard to get fixed information about it, but am I right in saying its 305bhp and 0-60 in about 4.7 with the ppp pack on, but about 265bhp and 0-60 in around 5.3 without the ppp? Does the standard UK car come as standard with a tracker? (im guessing it does as the insurance is insanely cheap for a 300bhp car).

Also, is it worth not bothering to look at UK cars and look into the import scene. In which case, what am I looking for?

Sorry for the really newbie questions guys, Ive resurched for the past 3 hours but tehre is just too much informatin, I need someone to tell me to stfu and tell me what im buying!

Cheers,

Will

PS - If there are any owners with a non-origonal style scooby STI PPP and want to get something more sensible and are intrested in a part ex on a Civic R, drop me a PM
Old 03 February 2006, 11:49 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'd consider going private, as you will get bottom book for your Type R and pay top book for whatever car you buy from a dealer. They pretty much all go to Glass's Guide when it comes to PX-ing and it is heavilly weighted in their favour. I had one offer me £5k less than an equivilent car on his very lot was up for recently. Felt like punching the tw@t I don't mind them making their crust with a reasonable mark-up, but they are just taking the p!$$ at the mo'

At the £14k mark you are well into 02 bugeye STi territory, and could possibly find an 03 STi, which will always be more desirable, even though bugeyes have become more accepted through the years. 03 STi PPP's are still up around the £16k mark. You could easilly get an 03 WRX PPP though, which will still give you 0-60 in 4.8 and 155mph. Have a look at mine HERE, which although isn't an STi I guarantee you if you drove it you would be impressed. On a recent test drive the owner of an STi8 PPP TSL333 with over 330bhp remarked that he would not be able to keep up with mine on the road Power isn't everything Being able to use power makes for a much quicker machine

As a rough breakdown, IIRC....
01-02 WRX - 215bhp 0-60 5.6 £10k
02 STi - 240bhp 0-60 5.2 £13K
02 STi PPP - 280bhp 0-60 5.0 £14k
03 WRX - 220bhp 0-60 5.4 £11k
03 WRX PPP - 265bhp 0-60 4.8 £12.5k
03 STi - 265bhp 0-60 5.2 £15k
03 STi PPP - 305bhp 0-60 4.6 £16k
Apologies if I got any of these figures wrong

As most of the cars you will be looking at will be out of warranty, unless you by Subaru Used/Approved which will be pricey, you could consider JDM cars. They can be difficult to sell on later as they are only bought by enthusiasts and thus a limited market of very picky buyers, and so they can depreciate badly. On the upside they are much better cars than UK, with better engines, drivetrain, turbo's, suspension and interiors.

All UK STi's came fitted with RAC Trackstar, as well as the standard to all UK turbo'd Impreza Sigma Cat1 alarm/immobiliser. EU parallel imports will be fitted with a.n.other alarm usually, and maybe not a Tracker of any sort unless an insurer has insisted on it at some point. JDM cars are the same.

HTH, and welcome to SNet

Last edited by corradoboy; 03 February 2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03 February 2006, 12:37 PM
anyone4apint
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that mate, absolutly superb, exactly the kind of information Im looking for. If I had allready sold the CTR and had some cash Id be buying yours, looks like a perfect example.

Having a quick look on autotrader, a WRX PPP can be picked up for a fair bit less than an STI without PPP - from what you say it might be worth taking a look at these too I guess.

I just got back from a local Subrau dealer and had a go in a 2001 STI PPP Type UK, and I was very impressed with it, he also offerd me £8500 for my civic, which for a dealer is a very good price. Next step is for me to have a go in an STI without the PPP and also a WRX with the PPP, I guess from that point I can make my mind up.

Either way, whichever car I choose is going to spank my Civic
Old 03 February 2006, 12:49 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

If you can afford it, go for the STI with PPP. You get extra bits, it looks better IMHO, and of course it's faster
Old 03 February 2006, 12:51 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by anyone4apint
Thanks for that mate, absolutly superb, exactly the kind of information Im looking for. If I had allready sold the CTR and had some cash Id be buying yours, looks like a perfect example.

Having a quick look on autotrader, a WRX PPP can be picked up for a fair bit less than an STI without PPP - from what you say it might be worth taking a look at these too I guess.

I just got back from a local Subrau dealer and had a go in a 2001 STI PPP Type UK, and I was very impressed with it, he also offerd me £8500 for my civic, which for a dealer is a very good price. Next step is for me to have a go in an STI without the PPP and also a WRX with the PPP, I guess from that point I can make my mind up.

Either way, whichever car I choose is going to spank my Civic
Welcome to SN

Do watch the insurance with PPP. Some companies don't know their head from their *** when it comes to this. You MUST get a quote for the a scooby WITH the PPP on, std insurance for a WRX or STi WILL NOT cover you. Some companies recognise the PPP and can quote for it easily, others have to list it as aftermarket mods. There are significant implications for the cost of the quote. Finda company that are knowledgable about Scoobies. Check out the insurance section.

Just a heads up really.

NS04
Old 03 February 2006, 01:23 PM
anyone4apint
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that mate. Im being quoted 845 on a STI Type UK PPP from Tesco, which is most agreeable. The Evo VII comes in at £1300 and I have to pay to fit a tracker.
Old 03 February 2006, 04:09 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Always get a quote from A-Plan, as even if you buy a standard car you WILL want to mod it sooner or later A-Plan are fine with pretty much most mods, I have all mine declared (which as you can see in my FS ad is quite a list) and pay £630 FC protected. Keith Michaels are also worth checking out, along with Greenlight.

As for the differences between STi and WRX, read THIS THREAD which has some good observations from people who've owned both. I find the STi extra diff can make the car a bit more adjustable in mid bend, but have overcome that in my WRX with the AST/Whiteline combo which is way better than the STi suspension set-up. The 6sp 'box can/will become tiresome, where the WRX 5sp is a dream, especially on flowing fast A-roads where you can stay in 3rd/4th instead of whipping between 2/3/4 and 5 all the time. The turbo on my WRX PPP spools up around 2.5k, coming on song at around 3k whereas standard STi's are nearer 3.5k with only a slight improvement from the PPP. I can push hard to over 6k but STi's can become breathless sooner requiring, and justifying, gear changes in the closer ratio 'box.
Old 03 February 2006, 05:03 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

There's not much more to add, that's not already been said, but i've just had a hunt and for £14k you're lOOking private like an 03 STi or 04 WRX PPP, so try them both. Very different beasts (so i've heard), i tried the STi and loved it, so bought it -- I'm in for traction with the physiotherapist next week on my jarred back, it's a hard ride.

If you can stretch to £15k, that opens new doors. You WILL be able to get an STi PPP for that and even a JDM (Japan) STi - more on insurance, generally, but a better model.

I didn't need a tracker for my insurance, luckily as the EU import doesn't come as standard. (A-Plan), but basic mods were allowed and further mods not silly money, not like other co's like Admiral - said they wouldn't insure the PPP mod.

Trader:

2003 SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX STi 4dr Saloon, 27,500 miles, Type UK, 27,500 miles, March 03, WR Mica Blue. RAC Tracker, Thatcham CAT 1 Alarm, ABS, 6speed, blue alcantara seats, and Usual extras. Gold wheels with New Eagle F1s 225x45x17, Subaru FSH. . . . . (private)

£13,700
Old 03 February 2006, 05:04 PM
~DrEaM~
Scooby Regular

oh go on, you know you want one...they are not ugly at all

heres mine Wr blue (not for sale)

also go for an import if you can get insurance... they are better, faster, with much more extras, different cams and 8000rpm redline

Old 03 February 2006, 05:07 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

If you can live with that face ^^^^^ then you'll get a good one and some spare change out of your £14k.
Old 03 February 2006, 05:14 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

£2kish more, you can get Euro import 06 Wrx BNIB.
Old 03 February 2006, 05:17 PM
justanotherperson
Scooby Regular

try privaledge (sp) for an insurance quote they did me for £450 FC but i am 35 yrs old with full ncd.
Old 03 February 2006, 05:24 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Privilege are OK with the PPP, but run a mile when anything else gets mentioned. When I told them what I was doing with my suspension they just wished me well with my new insurer
Old 03 February 2006, 05:36 PM
anyone4apint
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again for all the info guys. Ill check out some of those insurance quotes... I generally keep my cars standard, but with a scooby im pretty sure ill end up running a little more power than standard, its part of the benifits of owning the car

I could go upto about 18 so the choice I have is fairly open, but I dont wanna spend an extra 3 or 4 grand over a bug eye sti ppp uk if I dont need to. I definitly need to get out there and drive some of these models! Its gunna be a good weekend...
Old 03 February 2006, 05:53 PM
anyone4apint
Scooby Newbie

Hi Guys,

One quick question. I am planning on a day tomorow of looking at cars (yay!). However, alot of non-Subaru dealers (and even some Subaru dealers) dont know what the car is they are selling. With that in mind, is there anything I can look for which will tell me if an STI has the Prodrive pack on it or not, and anything which will tell me if its a UK or Import just by looking at it?
Old 03 February 2006, 06:03 PM
stuv996
Scooby Newbie

you can get a brand new wrx from motorhouse 2000 in cannock for 14999 but it is an import.I,ve got one
Old 03 February 2006, 06:24 PM
wedmonds
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate,

I am pretty new also in the South East of London and picked up an STI U.K Type with no major mods other than parking sensors and secrecy glass all round. Paid £14900 which appears to be about the mark. Had 18,000 on the clock with FSH etc.

Check out www.sidc.co.uk for my posts, search for wedmonds. I asked one of their members to help me out and he very kindly came out with me to check the car over for a second time. He took the test drive also!

I am sure someone will be near to you that might help you out when you go looking.

In addition, i contacted Subaru dealers on the net and told them what i was looking for etc and one or two did come back to me with exactly that. Shame i bought one by then

Good Luck!
Old 03 February 2006, 08:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anyone4apint
Hi Guys,

One quick question. I am planning on a day tomorow of looking at cars (yay!). However, alot of non-Subaru dealers (and even some Subaru dealers) dont know what the car is they are selling. With that in mind, is there anything I can look for which will tell me if an STI has the Prodrive pack on it or not, and anything which will tell me if its a UK or Import just by looking at it?
Imports will have square plate brackets on the back, a rear wash wipe, probably an adjustable centre diff (little wheel controller by handbrake), on 03+ the headlights won't have the orange wedge for the indicators (orange bulb or silvered orange bulb instead), the dials will be backlit and sweep at start-up and it may have equal length headers and twin scroll turbo (so the burble won't be as evident but there will be more power).
Prodrive Packs come with a certificate of fitment, but if that's missing on 03+ STi's it should have a Prodrive BB, uprated fuel pump, remap and high flow DP. On 03+ WRX it will have the BB, a decat centre pipe, remap chip and a blue (Samco) Prodrive badged I/C hose (under the intercooler). Pre 03 cars had the piggyback ECU which gave less performance, not sure what other elements of the 03-05 package they had though

Happy shopping. I guess you aren't coming to view mine then
Old 03 February 2006, 09:03 PM
dazzer wrx
Scooby Regular

I have a std uk wrx from a dealer and they did a good deal on my sri 150, i did test the STI and it is great car but i do a few miles. The wrx does feel more softer but the STI seems more solid on the road if it was my i would go for wrx ppp. What every you go for you will not be disapointed.
Good luck
Old 03 February 2006, 09:16 PM
anyone4apint
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys, that should help me seem more knowladgable tomorow

And no mate, I would love to take a look at yours, but unless you wanna give me some cash for the civic I cant afford it all up front. I could save a fair few quid by going private, but its just so painfull having to sell the CTR privatly and then having no car why I find a new one, its just easier to part ex it. Most dealers are giving me a good price on it. If they start to take the **** then Ill sell private, but so long as they come in around 8k then im happy.

I hate to say it, but Im also gunna have a go in a 350z - its just gunna cost a fair whack more than a scooby but ive allways liked them, but I kinda want a scooby now

Im gonig to try take a look at these on Saturday if I can fit them all in one day:

"2002 02 Reg SUBARU Impreza 2.0 WRX STi Prodrive, 4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 17,000 miles, Metallic World Rally Blue. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Driver airbag, Foglights, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Sports seats, Air conditioning, Anti theft system, CD, Colour coding - Body, Colour coding - Interior, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Spoiler. 18" prodrive OZ racing alloys, Sti mats, Sti mudflaps, New clutch recently fitted, RAC trackstar fitted. ONLY 17000 miles and the condition can only be described as immaculate. Must be the best 02 plate in the country.£13,995"

"2002 52 Reg Subaru 1994 cc Subaru impreza (44S) WRX-STI TYPE UK PRODRIVE, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 27,000 miles, Blue, Air Conditioning, CD Player, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, Power Steering, Passenger Airbag, Central Locking, Immobiliser, Driver Air Bag, On Board Computer. £12,999"

"2002 Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX-STI TYPE UK PPP,
Manual, Petrol, 36,000 miles, Silver, ANTI-LOCK BRAKES,DRIVERS AIR BAG,AIR CONDITIONING,ALARM,ALLOY WHEELS,CENTRAL LOCKING,CLIMATE CONTROL,ELECTRIC WINDOWS,POWER STEERING,RADIO/CASSETTE,REV COUNTER,TRACKER,ADJUSTABLE STEERING WHEEL,ENGINE IMMOBILISER,COMPACT DISC PLAYER,FRONT FOG LAMPS,ALCANTARA/CLOTH interior. £12,995." (Authoised dealer)

"2002 Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX-STI TYPE UK PRODRIVE STYLE,
4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 38,000 miles, Wr Blue, ANTI-LOCK BRAKES,DRIVER SEAT HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT,DRIVER AND PASSENGER AIR BAGS,AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING,REMOTE CONTROL ALARM,17IN ALLOY WHEELS,REMOTE CENTRAL DOOR LOCKING,CLIMATE CONTROL,ELECTRIC/HEATED DOOR MIRRORS,FRONT/REAR ELECTRIC WINDOWS,FRONT HEAD RESTRAINTS,POWER-ASSISTED STEERING,RADIO/CASSETTE/CD,RAKE ADJUSTABLE STEERING COLUMN/WHEEL,IMMOBILISER,COMPACT DISC PLAYER,SUEDE-EFFECT interior, 4WD. £14,490" (Authorised dealer, probably the first one ill go to see)

Sunday will be spent looking at a few 03 WRX PPP (non-STI)

Last edited by anyone4apint; 03 February 2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04 February 2006, 12:45 AM
anyone4apint
Scooby Newbie

Sorry guys, I need a little more help!

What is the faster car, straight line and handeling, a 2001/2 Bug Eye STI PPP (type uk) OR a 2003 facelift STI / WRX PPP?
Old 04 February 2006, 01:44 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Handling, mine ! Or any other similarly equipped car Proven on many occasions and confirmed by other opinions

03 cars have better handling through better suspension components and geometry, and more power than 02 and previous newage shapes, and so will always be quicker unless modification comes into it.
Old 04 February 2006, 01:51 AM
anyone4apint
Scooby Newbie

So im better off picking up a 2003 STI or a 2003 WRX PPP than I am a 2002 STI PPP?

Also, mate, ill take your car off you if you wanna do a deal on the civic, ill make it worth your while
Old 04 February 2006, 02:42 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, would a CTR be ideal as a driving instructors car

Where are you based I can make myself available anytime during the week if you want to arrange a meet-up, but I'll have to think long and hard about the suitability of the Civic for my purpose. For the laugh I have been gonna try and get an insurance quote for using the Scoob for the job and I think the CTR would get a similar reaction. Maybe not quite the maniac that my Scoob is, but still a very potent car to trust with complete novices
Old 04 February 2006, 10:12 AM
anyone4apint
Scooby Newbie

LMAO mate, I think your best to leave it. Will cost you a small fortune to run as a driving instructors car... that said, it would be funny as hell to see the legacy you would leave. In 5 years time everyone under 20 would be in 1.1 corsas trying to make them rev to 9k, you could single handedly double the revenue for all the local mechanics as all these 1.1 engines go pop!

Plus its done 54000 miles and it out of warrenty, not exactly ideal for you
Old 04 February 2006, 11:49 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

OK
Old 04 February 2006, 08:17 PM
anyone4apint
Scooby Newbie

Test drive update!!

I drove fooking miles today to see a few different cars. I have had a go in a 2002 WRX PPP, nice car and a reasonable price from an offical dealer (£11k with 17k miles), it was nice but it seemed to lack grunt after about 80. Very smooth to drive, which suprised me. I found the seats a little uncomfertable, but all in all, a nice car. However, I dont think Ill be going for it as if I go down the WRX PPP route then I want a 2003 or newer car.

I then had a go in a 2004 WRX PPP, whilst on paper there is not much between the 2001 and the 2004, the 2004 did feel notiibly quicker and smoother to deliver the power. The interior was better condition than the 2002 one (as youd expect from a 2004 car) and the seats were alot more comfey. It was reasonably priced at £14,500 from a offical Subaru dealer, but the salesman is adament that my Civic Type R is only worth £5,000 but to do me a `favor` he will go to £6000. Absolutly ridiculously low. Im not expecting shead loads for it, but £6k for a very good condition 51 CTR is an insult. So I sharnt be getting that car, although if I can find one on a good deal then I may go for it.

I also had a go in a UK Evo VII with 280 bhp. Its not really fair to compare it to the WRXs I had a go in becasue its obviously more focussed. I need to test drive a few STIs before I can cast my view on the Evo VS Scooby decision. That said, the Evo was insanly quick considering it was not an MR300+, picked up very quickly and pulled like a train on steroids all the way to 100 when I decided to slow down (although credit to the salesman sitting next to me, he didnt make me slow down like they often to), was immaculate inside, very tempting. I just need to have a tracker fitted to it which is about £500 which puts a sting in the tail of it. It was up for £14,500, 30k miles and was one of the first offical UK VIIs.

The plan for tomorow. find a standard 03 STI and also find a 2001/2 STI PPP.

Also, im still open to offers if anyone wants to take the CTR on part ex privatly. Ill take less for it than its worth and you can sell it privatly and make a few quid off it - I would sell it myself but I cannot be without a car for a week or so why Im looking for a new one, PM me if your intrested.
Old 04 February 2006, 08:45 PM
dazzer wrx
Scooby Regular

There are deals to be had out there 1 dealer offerded me £3500 for me 51 plate sri vectra 150 last aug , then the 1 i brought off gave me £4700 plus put a tracker on the car so all in all he gave me £5000 for my car. So i ripped his hand off be rude not 2. Keep hunting its always a buyers market
Darran
Old 04 February 2006, 09:43 PM
anyone4apint
Scooby Newbie

I think I might need to do the same mate, I just hate waiting when there are all these shiney new cars around that I want

Also, I had a ****ty experiance today. Went into one dealer that I had traveled 80 miles to see a specific car, talked numbers, talked value on my car, and wanted a test drive. He then said he needed to talk to his boss before I could go in it... I overheard him saying to the manager "We have some young guy, he doesnt wanna buy, he is only here for a test drive, waste of time". I didnt hang around to hear the boss's reply and just walked out. Tossers. I dont get it, im 26, Ive got 20grand in my pocket to potentially spend, ive got a car that I can part ex for about 8k, and that was the reaction?! I felt like screaming at them to not be suck ******, if Im not the target audience for a fast rally car then who the hell is?!!!?! GGRRRRR. I would write and moan but its hardly worth it.
Old 04 February 2006, 09:58 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
As a rough breakdown, IIRC....
01-02 WRX - 215bhp 0-60 5.6 £10k
02 STi - 240bhp 0-60 5.2 £13K
02 STi PPP - 280bhp 0-60 5.0 £14k
03 WRX - 220bhp 0-60 5.4 £11k
03 WRX PPP - 265bhp 0-60 4.8 £12.5k
03 STi - 265bhp 0-60 5.2 £15k
03 STi PPP - 305bhp 0-60 4.6 £16k
Apologies if I got any of these figures wrong
The MY02 STI has a 265PS engine output exactly the same as ALL STi Type UK's be they 03/04/05.
After PPP all the STI's are 305PS.

See Prodrive web site.
http://www.prodrive.com/defaultflash.asp?M=5
The performance and power figures are the same for all the STi's.

The MY02 spec sheet doesn't reference the uprated fuel pump.
BUT they were fitted. See here http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...MY02+fuel+pump

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Pre 03 cars had the piggyback ECU which gave less performance, not sure what other elements of the 03-05 package they had though
The first batch of STi MY02 PPP's used a piggy back chip, but when they then added an uprated fuel pump, which was retrospectively fitted to the earlier cars that had the first kits, the ECU supplied was a remapped version, NOT piggyback chip, the same as the MY03/04/05.
Not the same map, but the same method employed to manufacture the ECU,
and exactly the same performance figures for all the STi's according to Prodrive.

Anyone4apint,
You have private message

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 04 February 2006 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Total Scooby Newbie - 14kish Budger, WTF am I buying?!