Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New Tyres transformed the STI???

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2006, 12:10 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tyres transformed the STI???

54 reg 04 STI type UK and after 12,500 miles the front std tyre insides were shot, changed to Toyo's proxies and retracked (was towing out) and the transformation was amazing.
Much much smoother ride, lighter steering with more turn in grip, much less fighting the wheel under acceleration or braking over bumpy surfaces - before it was tracking the bumps so much it was almost dangerous (I thought it quite fun, but my wife hated it). All in all its transformed the car's handling and ride.
Is it the tyres or the tracking??? - if its the tracking then it was like it from new.
Forget people who say the STI is too harsh it drives much better with the new tyres and the engines quite tractable for normal driving. My wife actually likes the car now - shame I will be selling it for around £16k if anyones out there??
cheers.
Old 03 February 2006, 12:20 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

there's a lightly disguised advert if ever i saw one. if its crystal grey i'll swap it for my 55 WRX Wagon plus a couple of quid.
Old 03 February 2006, 12:31 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

Default Crystal clear...

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
there's a lightly disguised advert if ever i saw one. if its crystal grey i'll swap it for my 55 WRX Wagon plus a couple of quid.
Its lightly disguised crystal clear!!!
Its Black mica / gold wheels prodrive rear box and I am selling to raise cash as the company I work for has gone bust (Good old BSA again!!)

i would like to know about other peoples experiences with the tyres because it did make a hell of a difference to drivability.
cheers
Old 03 February 2006, 03:03 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

the tracking being sorted was probably most useful,were they oem tyres? if so they are rubbish when half worn tramlining etc
martin
Old 03 February 2006, 03:10 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i don't rate the toyos - i bought them as everyone seemed to love them but i find them really soft - especially in cornering as the tyre wall is very soft

will be looknig for something different next time around.
Old 03 February 2006, 03:22 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
i don't rate the toyos - i bought them as everyone seemed to love them but i find them really soft - especially in cornering as the tyre wall is very soft

will be looknig for something different next time around.
Did you get the Toyo "reinforced shoulder" type? when I was looking it apeared there were several versions of Toyo the ones I bought were specified as Toyo proxies with reinforced shoulder.
did you fit to a STI or a WRX as maybe the WRX is already a bit soft compared to the STI???
the original tyres (still ok on the back) were oem brigestone potatoes
Old 03 February 2006, 08:03 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Are you sure the handling is OK with Toyos on the front and bridgestone on the back? When I first had my WRX, it had bridgestone on the front and Goodyear GSD3F1's on the back and it was at times real scary and tramlining a lot of the time - soon put matching F1's on the front and it made the car a lot more safe and cured all hint of tramlining. Can vouch that F1s are good - as do a lot of others on scoobynet.

Trending Topics

Old 03 February 2006, 08:36 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have taken off the original terrible Bridgestones, then yes, you will feel a huge improvement.
Old 04 February 2006, 12:16 AM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmarch
Are you sure the handling is OK with Toyos on the front and bridgestone on the back? When I first had my WRX, it had bridgestone on the front and Goodyear GSD3F1's on the back and it was at times real scary and tramlining a lot of the time - soon put matching F1's on the front and it made the car a lot more safe and cured all hint of tramlining. Can vouch that F1s are good - as do a lot of others on scoobynet.
Me too. Went from standard to Toyo T1s (had them on the TVR and they were great on that), then went to GSD3 after looking through recommendations on ScoobyNet and they're even better. Very clear communication through the wheel and lots of grip in all directions. Also a lot less 'fidgety' on poorly surfaced country roads.