ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Rust problem

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2006, 02:55 PM
sharpydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust problem

ive been getting rust marks on the back of my classic (MY00) for a while now, the marks polish out with some hard work but re-apear after a few days, ive finally found the problem but dont know what to do.

when i open the boot, theres to rubber ***** that push into the bootlid, the hole which they push into is rusty and must be gettin wet and the rusty water runs down the boot lid and onto the outside of the car . what can i do to stop the rust? if i cover it in a sylican sealer will this stop it or will it just spread

HELP!
Old 15 March 2006, 03:02 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert, but I would have thought any decent bodyshop could get rid of the rust for you. Or how much is a nice new shiny boot lid?
Old 15 March 2006, 03:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Normally its where the rubber stopper on the boot lid makes contact and rubs the wear pad through down to the metal in the channel by the boot opening.

I bought back to shiny metal with a bit of sand paper, brushed on some etch primer, painted it with sverel coats. Finalising with a liberal application of waxoyl ( to stop rust and act as a grease to stop the fiction of the rubber wearing through again.)

Also check to see if your boot spoiler isn't leaking either.
Old 15 March 2006, 03:37 PM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do after painting the bare metal is to affix a small peice of armourfend (like thick adhesive polythene sheet) to the place where the rubber comes in contact with the body and this will stop the paint being rubbed off.
Old 15 March 2006, 04:29 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did this from new, it's the two nearest the rear window that rusts, bugsti has the best idea, i did this back in 2000 and it has not rusted since.

The other place you will find rust is behind the front bumber, the bumper mounting frame? the thing that supports the bumber had rusted through on the drivers side, i only found this out when i was removing the bumper to get it re-sprayed because of all the stone chips, and guess what it's not covered by the bodywork warranty, you can see this problem if you remove the side light and head lamp assembly, look down to where the bumber fixes.
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem on a MY99